• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Laws regarding import into the U.K. and E.U.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 27 2020 - 10:00 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
I am curious as to the laws regarding the import of live ant queens and colonies into the United Kingdom and continental Europe from abroad. We have secured permission from the relevant U.S. departments for export out of the country but are unfamiliar with European import laws.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 27 2020 - 11:50 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Europeans can import any ant species legally.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 27 2020 - 2:54 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

For import into the EU, a health certificate is required with each specimen. Once in the EU, the package will go to a border station, where the paper work will be checked. You will need a pet transporter or other form of approved shipping process. In addition, a CVED is required (which will be attached at a border inspection in the EU should the paperwork be alright). Currently, shipping to the UK is very iffy but it does appear there is no regulation. However, I would wait until Brexit is cleared up, as they are in a transitional period. Specifics can be found on the EU website. Otherwise, all shipment to the EU is illegal

• 123LordOfAnts123 and TennesseeAnts like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 27 2020 - 4:05 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

For import into the EU, a health certificate is required with each specimen. Once in the EU, the package will go to a border station, where the paper work will be checked. You will need a pet transporter or other form of approved shipping process. In addition, a CVED is required (which will be attached at a border inspection in the EU should the paperwork be alright). Currently, shipping to the UK is very iffy but it does appear there is no regulation. However, I would wait until Brexit is cleared up, as they are in a transitional period. Specifics can be found on the EU website. Otherwise, all shipment to the EU is illegal

Can you link where you got this info? Securing permission to export specimens out of the U.S. was significantly easier than we would have thought and we hope import into Europe won't be terribly difficult either

#5 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:35 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
https://ec.europa.eu...th requirements.

A lot of the info I got was from speaking to someone in Europe who is an importer for some ant dealers. However, most of the info can be found above
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#6 Offline Barristan - Posted June 28 2020 - 4:59 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

Every animal has to be inspected by a veterinary. And as importer you have to pay for this inspection: https://www.zoll.de/...eases_node.html

Additionally it will also be checked by customs if you try to import any species which are on cites list. But no ant species is on that list so this shouldn't be any problem

As with all goods you also have to pay 19% VAT.

But other than that it is quite easy to import animals and you also don't need any permission.

• TennesseeAnts and SuperFrank like this

#7 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 28 2020 - 6:28 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Every animal has to be inspected by a veterinary. And as importer you have to pay for this inspection: https://www.zoll.de/...eases_node.html

Additionally it will also be checked by customs if you try to import any species which are on cites list. But no ant species is on that list so this shouldn't be any problem

But other than that it is quite easy to import animals and you also don't need any permission.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if insects are included in the E.U's definition of animals? I know that may sound odd or ignorant but I was surprised to learn that, at least in the U.S., insects often aren't considered to be animals and have their own regulations.

#8 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 28 2020 - 9:33 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Every animal has to be inspected by a veterinary. And as importer you have to pay for this inspection: https://www.zoll.de/...eases_node.html

Just out of curiosity, do you know if insects are included in the E.U's definition of animals? I know that may sound odd or ignorant but I was surprised to learn that, at least in the U.S., insects often aren't considered to be animals and have their own regulations.
Of course they have their own regulations. Insects are some of the top destroyers of crops and the U.S. possesses a lot of crops that are highly valuable to it.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#9 Offline Barristan - Posted June 28 2020 - 9:56 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

There is no exception for insects or other invertebrates. 

• TennesseeAnts and SuperFrank like this

#10 Offline SuperFrank - Posted June 30 2020 - 4:21 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

There is no exception for insects or other invertebrates.

Thanks for your help, a final question, do you know if is it the responsibility of the shipper or the recipient to obtain the permits?

#11 Offline Barristan - Posted July 1 2020 - 12:06 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

The recipient is responsible for that.

In the past a lot of mostly private ant keepers tried to save the costs for importing ants, which led to ants intercepted and hold back by customs, that often lead to death of colonies...

#12 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 1 2020 - 2:46 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

The recipient is responsible for that.

In the past a lot of mostly private ant keepers tried to save the costs for importing ants, which led to ants intercepted and hold back by customs, that often lead to death of colonies...

I love insects and am currently an entomology student, I have no plans to ship specimens without proper paperwork, both for ethical and person reasons as it could have a huge negative impact on my career.

Edited by SuperFrank, July 1 2020 - 5:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users