• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Finally made an account

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 15 2020 - 11:38 AM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

Sup!

• AntsMaryland, Antennal_Scrobe, AntsDakota and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 15 2020 - 11:43 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Hello, and welcome to the forum!  :)

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 15 2020 - 11:43 AM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Nice! What species are you keeping so far? I also would recommend putting your approximate location in your profile under your name.

• AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 15 2020 - 11:54 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Nice! What species are you keeping so far? I also would recommend putting your approximate location in your profile under your name.

That's only necessary if he/she wishes to trade, no?

Also, welcome to the realm of the ant people!

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, June 15 2020 - 2:41 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#5 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 15 2020 - 11:58 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here!
  • AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#6 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted June 15 2020 - 12:56 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Welcome! As I always say, I think you will find this forum helpful and educational. You came to the right place :yes:

• AntsDakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#7 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 15 2020 - 1:36 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Welcome to the party :yahoo:

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted June 15 2020 - 7:05 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Good, you should have joined a long time ago. Even before you liked ants you should have joined. Everyone should just join.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 15 2020 - 7:11 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Good, you should have joined a long time ago. Even before you liked ants you should have joined. Everyone should just join.

Poor Drew........ imagine all the work he’d have to do validating.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 16 2020 - 12:56 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Wow ok warm welcome. You typically don't get this kind of reception even on MFK.

I keep a lot of animals but in terms of ants I have:

1x Camponotus Floridanus 1 queen obviously

1x Odontomachus bauri 3 queens more on that later

1x Dorymyrmex bicolor 9 queens

1x Pheidole Megacephala 15 queens

1x Solenopsis Invicta 1 queen

1x Acromyrmex versicolor 1 queen

Been keeping ants for about 3 months (so not a total newbie but by no means a pro) but my colonies are doing really well. Rather proud of myself for the acromyrmex, wasn't expecting them to survive but somehow they did. 

I'm going to write something later about how I got the odontomachus to be polygynous, stay tuned for that.

Edited by MrOdontomachus, June 16 2020 - 12:57 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Thunder_Birds, TechAnt and 1 other like this

#11 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 16 2020 - 1:16 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Of course, not required unless using the Marketplace. But it does help to get an idea of what species they have near them and also meet up (if local). MrOdontomachus, judging from the species you are keeping, you are somewhere in Mexico? (you don't have to confirm this if you don't want to) BTW nice job on the Acromyrmex, I wish I had some locally.

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#12 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:52 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Of course, not required unless using the Marketplace. But it does help to get an idea of what species they have near them and also meet up (if local). MrOdontomachus, judging from the species you are keeping, you are somewhere in Mexico? (you don't have to confirm this if you don't want to) BTW nice job on the Acromyrmex, I wish I had some locally.

Nope, Broward county, FL.

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:44 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Nope, Broward county, FL.
Your acromyrmex is probably trachymyrmex septentrionalis then. Unless you got them illegally...

Edited by Manitobant, June 16 2020 - 6:44 PM.

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Wow ok warm welcome. You typically don't get this kind of reception even on MFK.

Just goes to show how much of a community this truly is. Every new member is greeted in this way.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 16 2020 - 6:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I keep a lot of animals but in terms of ants I have:

1x Camponotus Floridanus 1 queen obviously

1x Odontomachus bauri 3 queens more on that later

1x Dorymyrmex bicolor 9 queens

1x Pheidole Megacephala 15 queens

1x Solenopsis Invicta 1 queen

1x Acromyrmex versicolor 1 queen

Been keeping ants for about 3 months (so not a total newbie but by no means a pro) but my colonies are doing really well. Rather proud of myself for the acromyrmex, wasn't expecting them to survive but somehow they did. 

I'm going to write something later about how I got the odontomachus to be polygynous, stay tuned for that.

You most likely meant Trachymyrmex septentrionalis, the only fungus farming Attine native to Florida.

#16 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted June 16 2020 - 7:08 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Just goes to show how much of a community this truly is. Every new member is greeted in this way.

Yeah, and it also shows that we have a kind community.

• AntsDakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#17 Offline Otter - Posted June 16 2020 - 7:12 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

Given the Odontomachus bauri (south American sp), I would assume the Acromyrmex versicolor is actually Acromyrmex versicolor and not Trachymyrmex. Btw, Trachymyrmex is not the only native attine, there is also Mycetomoellerius jamaicensis, Cyphomyrmex minutus, and Cyphomyrmex rimosus

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 16 2020 - 7:38 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Given the Odontomachus bauri (south American sp), I would assume the Acromyrmex versicolor is actually Acromyrmex versicolor and not Trachymyrmex. Btw, Trachymyrmex is not the only native attine, there is also Mycetomoellerius jamaicensis, Cyphomyrmex minutus, and Cyphomyrmex rimosus.

Hmm. I suppose I forgot about those...

Edit: Cyphomyrmex rimosus is exotic, btw.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 16 2020 - 7:46 PM.

#19 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted June 16 2020 - 7:39 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wow, you should record the species in Florida so they can show up on antmaps. Also Otter, he is in Florida, and Acromyrmex aren't that far east so its probably not that. I wish I had your luck finding cool queens. All I've found this year are 2 Camponotus queens, tetra, molesta (which subsequently died), and vividula.

#20 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 17 2020 - 5:49 AM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Ok so it is trachymyrmex. They looked exactly like acromyrmex. I don't know anything about anything as far as attines go, my area of expertise is odontomachus.

My trap-jaws are odontomachus bauri, I'm 100% sure. Found in the keys.

Edited by MrOdontomachus, June 17 2020 - 5:50 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and Froggy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users