• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wasp haters grind my gears.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 27 2020 - 7:47 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Whenever I see wasp related posts on Reddit (kind my fault now that I think about it, Reddit isn't really a place for smart people) I see the common argument "Bees make honey and wasps are jerks ecksdee!!!!1!!!1" even though honey bees are invasive and outcompete natives and wasps are native and important predators. I just debated some sociopath who bragged about torturing and killing wasps. I need some eye bleach lol. Anyone else hate this?

I don't hate wasps at all,I really like them. I kill thousands of paper wasps every year, but that's not because I don't like them. I especially like the mud dauber and the trantual hawk. they are so cool.
I hate tarantula hawks because I am a tarantula keeper. However, I do think that some other smaller spider wasps are really interesting and cool creatures.

#22 Offline Temperateants - Posted July 1 2020 - 8:45 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

solitary wasps are AWESOME. I just saw a mostly black wasp with thin yellow stripes sting a caterpillar to death and carried it home with her legs. Hopefully the caterpillar will make a tasty feast for her brood.

Edited by Temperateants, July 1 2020 - 8:46 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#23 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 1 2020 - 3:30 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
I’m not a big fan of wasps but I don’t think they should be killed they are important. And the on,y wasp I’ve been stung by is a red velvet ant.
We don’t talk about that

#24 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:16 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I’m not a big fan of wasps but I don’t think they should be killed they are important. And the on,y wasp I’ve been stung by is a red velvet ant.

Was it a cow killer? Those are supposed to be one of the most painful stings in the world!

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:18 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Was it a cow killer? Those are supposed to be one of the most painful stings in the world!
Well, so are Pogonomyrmex......

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#26 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:20 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Well, so are Pogonomyrmex......
Cow killer are much higher on the sting pain index or whatever it is called. Just ask Coyote Peterson...

#27 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted July 4 2020 - 5:32 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

I was out anting and a tarantula wasp flew past me about a foot from my face. Bugs that have the ability to catch up and hurt you scare me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users