• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wasp haters grind my gears.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 18 2020 - 11:21 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Whenever I see wasp related posts on Reddit (kind my fault now that I think about it, Reddit isn't really a place for smart people) I see the common argument "Bees make honey and wasps are jerks ecksdee!!!!1!!!1" even though honey bees are invasive and outcompete natives and wasps are native and important predators. I just debated some sociopath who bragged about torturing and killing wasps. I need some eye bleach lol. Anyone else hate this?

• Solenoqueen, Nathant2131, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 11:29 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I know what you’re feeling, but for me, it’s the ant haters that smash my gears.
  • Solenoqueen, TechAnt and MrOdontomachus like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2020 - 11:51 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm not a fan of wasps at all(I just stay away). Its people who hate ants that drive me crazy.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 12:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ignorance, plain and simple. Without wasps pest populations would skyrocket out of control.
Don’t waste time debating idiots on the internet, you can’t win.
  • FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and 6 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 18 2020 - 12:23 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Am I the only one who has never had a bad experience with wasps? Never have I ever been attacked by one unprovoked.

Just be aware of your surroundings, give animals their space, and they shouldn't cause you any problems. Wasps aren't the spawn of Satan like many people think; You just have to be mindful.

• ANTdrew, Antennal_Scrobe, Temperateants and 3 others like this

#6 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 18 2020 - 12:26 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Am I the only one who has never had a bad experience with wasps? Never have I ever been attacked by one unprovoked.

Just be aware of your surroundings, give animals their space, and they shouldn't cause you any problems. Wasps aren't the spawn of Satan like many people think; You just have to be mindful.

Me neither. I'm pretty sure 50% of wasp haters are people who did dumb things in front of wasps and got stung and the other 50% is just parroting the opinions of the first 50%. Sure, some people are allergic, but just because you are allergic doesn't take away from the ecological importance of wasps.

• Nathant2131, AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2020 - 12:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I am generally buzzed at by every yellowjacket that is not busy at a tree, and sometimes chased around for a few minutes, but, I have never been stung.

• AntsDakota and Temperateants like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 12:54 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’m willing to stick my face a foot away from the Polistes workers that forage in my yard. I watch them sometimes.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 18 2020 - 1:13 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

To me wasps are really cool, but like them or not, they are important to the ecosystem. I have also never been stung before. 

Edited by Antkid12, June 18 2020 - 1:16 PM.

• Temperateants likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 18 2020 - 1:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Polistes never bother me. Its anything with a "vesp" in its genus name that does.

• TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 18 2020 - 2:20 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Only time i got stung was while playing with a female rep, accidentally pressed down on her a bit and she retaliated.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#12 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted June 18 2020 - 2:48 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

The one time I got stung was by stepping on one in the grass barefoot. 

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2020 - 3:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve been stung many, many times. Do I hold it against the creatures? Heck no! Life goes on.
Other Homo sapiens do things that hurt far worse.
  • BugFinder and Nathant2131 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline Canadian anter - Posted June 18 2020 - 3:24 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I personally am pretty chill with all the solitary wasps and Polistes, but I do feel the Vespula hate is well-deserved. In sum, I have been stung around ten times by Vespula unprovoked. Matter of fact, on one of the little ant togethers we held in Ontario (lasted around 8 hours), I was stung 3 separate times from unprovoked Vespula from three different locations, despite being in the middle of the group

• NickAnter likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 18 2020 - 4:40 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I personally am pretty chill with all the solitary wasps and Polistes, but I do feel the Vespula hate is well-deserved. In sum, I have been stung around ten times by Vespula unprovoked. Matter of fact, on one of the little ant togethers we held in Ontario (lasted around 8 hours), I was stung 3 separate times from unprovoked Vespula from three different locations, despite being in the middle of the group

Most likely stumbled too close to an unseen nest. They nest underground, once was walking through the brush and stepped directly on a nest, even though there was no evidence of its existence.

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 18 2020 - 7:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’ve never seen much except Polistes.

#17 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 19 2020 - 9:54 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Humans grind my gears

• BugFinder, TennesseeAnts and Froggy like this

#18 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:17 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
[Idk what to say here, lol ignore this]

Edited by TechAnt, June 19 2020 - 11:28 AM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 19 2020 - 3:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Cat haters also grind my gears.
  • TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#20 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 20 2020 - 9:01 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Whenever I see wasp related posts on Reddit (kind my fault now that I think about it, Reddit isn't really a place for smart people) I see the common argument "Bees make honey and wasps are jerks ecksdee!!!!1!!!1" even though honey bees are invasive and outcompete natives and wasps are native and important predators. I just debated some sociopath who bragged about torturing and killing wasps. I need some eye bleach lol. Anyone else hate this?

I don't hate wasps at all,I really like them.  I kill thousands of paper wasps every year, but that's not because I don't like them.  I especially like the mud dauber and the trantual hawk. they are so cool.

• AntsDakota likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users