• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Flight Habits and How to Find Them After

question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bearcoon - Posted April 21 2015 - 11:57 AM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

So there are a few Pogonomyrmex Colonys Near my Home (I live in Utah) And i was wondering how to know when to go out and get my Queen/s and when i do how do i find them if they aren't on the sidewalk?

• UtahAnts likes this

#2 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 21 2015 - 12:13 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

So there are a few Pogonomyrmex Colonys Near my Home (I live in Utah) And i was wondering how to know when to go out and get my Queen/s and when i do how do i find them if they aren't on the sidewalk?

Check out this thread: http://www.formicult...or-when-anting/

As for when, the mating chart indicates most of them flying later in summer but people have been finding alates already, so it can be any time now, really. Changes in weather (rain, hot spell, etc.) are also typical triggers, although some colonies also fly at their will. I'm in the same boat, and hoping to get some Pogonomyrmex as they're all over the neighborhood.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline Bearcoon - Posted April 21 2015 - 12:17 PM

Bearcoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

This Will Be My First Colony of Any ants Ever (if it works out) and I'm Realy Pumped!

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 2:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you know where a lot of Pogonomyrmex are, it shouldn't be too hard to find queens. They can be dug from founding chambers for days afterwards, and most species are semi-claustral, which means you can find them foraging for weeks after a flight.

• UtahAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users