• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen IDs (Formica francoeuri) (Cajon Pass, CA) (4-18-2015)

Best Answer James C. Trager , May 4 2015 - 12:59 PM

Classic (very hairy) F. francoeuri. Nothing else quite like it in the F. fusca group.

Foogoo, that jerky locomotion you described is quite typical of many Formica spp.

Miles, generally, I agree about the earliness of this flight for a Formica, but I think we ought to allow it for a southern California species. :) Actually, F. obscuripes has already been seen from flights of this year, considerably to the north.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:17 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

One or two of these were from a random stop off Cajon Rd and the majority were from a small creek on the way to Lost Lake. There were a lot of ants which appeared like Liometopum occidentale but moved in quick, jerky movements. Two were wanderers at Mormon Rock. My best guess is Liometopum and/or Myrmecocystus.

Habitat of collection:  Rocky chaparrel

Length (from head to gaster):  ~10mm
Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Black gaster, reddish-brown body

IMG 20150418 190906~01
IMG 20150418 191234~01
IMG 20150418 191221~01
IMG 20150418 191240~01
IMG 20150418 191259~01
IMG 20150418 191336~01
IMG 20150418 191412~01

Edited by dspdrew, May 12 2015 - 7:18 PM.
Added the species name to the title.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Tpro4 - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:18 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
i'd say a lasus queen of some sort
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#3 Offline Alza - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:24 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

liometopum occidentale

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 9:20 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Pretty sure that is Formica francoeuri. There's tons of them in that area.

Edit: Actually if it's not just your pictures, that looks way too bald to be Formica francoeuri. It might be F. moki then.

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 18 2015 - 9:58 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Does my description of the workers sound like Formica? Looked to me like Liometopum but would sprint, stop, sprint, etc., almost like some spiders. I'll try getting some better pictures tomorrow, it's tough with them in tubes and ceiling lights.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline Miles - Posted April 18 2015 - 10:21 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Absolutely Formica. I've kept Formica for four years... No doubt in my mind.

It's rather early for Formica to be flying. I don't think I have ever seen alates, online or in person, this early in the year.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 10:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Does my description of the workers sound like Formica? Looked to me like Liometopum but would sprint, stop, sprint, etc., almost like some spiders.

Sounds exactly like them. Myrmecocystus move this way too, but it seems like Formica are the most extreme.

Pretty funny how I gave the same exact description when I first came across them two years ago and also thought they looked like L. occidentale as well.

http://antfarm.yuku....l-Forest-Orange

#8 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 19 2015 - 8:06 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

What time of day did you find the wanderers?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted April 19 2015 - 3:14 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Formica sp.

#10 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:43 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

What time of day did you find the wanderers?

Between noon-afternoon, at least that's when I was there. It seems like they flew in the morning. There was a good breeze too so who knows where the flight originated.

#11 Offline Crystals - Posted April 20 2015 - 7:45 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

If you were closer to BC, I know there was a decent sized Formica flight up there yesterday.  Pure black Formica species of some sort (they did send a picture and it was indeed Formica).

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2015 - 6:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I got some high resolution pictures of these queens and their workers.

Queen

med_gallery_2_394_517298.jpg

med_gallery_2_394_332267.jpg

med_gallery_2_394_197090.jpg

Worker

med_gallery_2_394_121785.jpg

med_gallery_2_394_120496.jpg

med_gallery_2_394_367404.jpg

I'm pretty sure these are Formica francoeuri like I suspected in the first place. The queens just look a lot different than I imagined.

#13 Offline Foogoo - Posted May 2 2015 - 9:11 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Those pictures are amazing!

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2015 - 9:58 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Thanks.

#15 Offline James C. Trager - Posted May 4 2015 - 12:59 PM   Best Answer

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Classic (very hairy) F. francoeuri. Nothing else quite like it in the F. fusca group.

Foogoo, that jerky locomotion you described is quite typical of many Formica spp.

Miles, generally, I agree about the earliness of this flight for a Formica, but I think we ought to allow it for a southern California species. :) Actually, F. obscuripes has already been seen from flights of this year, considerably to the north.

• Miles and AntTeen804 like this

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 7:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Just thought I would add these pictures of what the males look like since I was able to pin up a good specimen of one.

med_gallery_2_394_362907.jpg

med_gallery_2_394_240866.jpg

med_gallery_2_394_520813.jpg

• Foogoo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users