• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal [119] (Discontinued)

dspdrew acromyrmex versicolor journal fungus growers leaf cutters

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Forestflamboyant - Posted June 27 2015 - 10:15 AM

Forestflamboyant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSonora

Howdy! I'm amazed and blown away at the same time and feel the perplexity in the logic of it all. If ants were so simple to keep we all would be doing it and each species has their quirks about them. I've learned this year that you can't put liometopum occidentale queens together. Because they just go at it like Japanese fighting fish until one is destroyed. We all learn from the mistakes and it's awesome that we are able to share the information for the future!

• LC3 likes this

#162 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 27 2015 - 10:53 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I am sorry to hear about this, Drew.  I hope the colony full recovers.

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#163 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 28 2015 - 8:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 6-28-2015

A little update on the colony that had the civil war:

They have completely cleaned up the mess now, and I see them adding new substrate to the fungus.

They moved all the dead to the out world, leaving not even the tiniest piece behind. It's amazing how clean they got it.

med_gallery_2_126_511753.jpg

med_gallery_2_126_82534.jpg

#164 Offline LC3 - Posted June 28 2015 - 10:17 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Out of all the myrmicinae ants leaf cutters seem to be the least stupidest even if they just had a war. 

#165 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 28 2015 - 11:02 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

65q24g4g5f

Edited by Vendayn, March 9 2018 - 7:05 PM.

#166 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 28 2015 - 12:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

(I see you move them a lot for some reason)

Actually this is the first time I've ever moved them except for out of a founding setup.

Not sure the point in force moving them, if all it does is cause them to fight and/or cause them intense stress.

Neither do I. The problem is nobody knew this.

Most ants don't do well at all when force moving.

That's not what I have seen. I have healthy colonies with well over a thousand workers that I have force moved plenty times without any signs of harm. A healthy colony in the wild that has its nest destroyed will rebuild and go on living like nothing ever happened.

• Gregory2455 and Kevin like this

#167 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted June 28 2015 - 2:45 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Out of all the myrmicinae ants leaf cutters seem to be the least stupidest even if they just had a war. 

I do not know about that... I forcefully move all my colonies including my large ones like Solenopsis and Tetramorium. None of them ever have wars. I am sticking to my original theory that this species has a glitch of some sort in their alarm pheromones.

#168 Offline Tpro4 - Posted June 28 2015 - 9:56 PM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
GG Well Played Drew, you should have it easy. Try not to cause anymore civil wars :lol:
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#169 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 29 2015 - 7:23 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I won't be disturbing Acromyrmex too much anymore.

#170 Offline Tpro4 - Posted June 29 2015 - 8:44 AM

Tpro4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hills, CA
i saw a couple for a. versicolor colonies when i went camping, they might have been one large ine but IDK, i didn't want to dig them up after what happened to Drew.
Remember Dragon Warrior, anything is possible when you have inner peace. - Master Shifu

Current Queens:
1 Unknown Pogomyemex
1 Solenopsis Xyloni

#171 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 29 2015 - 9:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ah. You were in Joshua Tree National Park right? Wasn't it a little hot for camping?? Yeah there is no point trying to dig up Acromyrmex out there; you'll never be able to dig deep enough. The queens are really easy to find too. It's just getting a successful fungus garden that is not always so easy.

#172 Offline Foogoo - Posted June 29 2015 - 11:42 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Ah. You were in Joshua Tree National Park right? Wasn't it a little hot for camping?? Yeah there is no point trying to dig up Acromyrmex out there; you'll never be able to dig deep enough. The queens are really easy to find too. It's just getting a successful fungus garden that is not always so easy.

In terms of humidity and other growing conditions or do you mean it's not always easy for the ants to grow it properly?

Speaking of fungus, I see a lot of references to catching newly mated queens before they lose the fungus pellet. If you were to catch a queen sans pellet, can you give her a piece of an existing fungus? Or does she need her pellet?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#173 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 29 2015 - 2:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What is hard is getting a queen who has her fungus pellet, and successfully starts to grow it. Yes, you can give a queen fungus from another queen's fungus garden and she will grow it just fine. That is how I got all of mine going. I only had one queen who successfully got a fungus garden growing.

#174 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2015 - 7:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Fixing up some new substrate. :)

med_gallery_2_137_670256.jpg

med_gallery_2_137_851594.jpg

Roses: Their favorite.
  • antmaniac likes this

#175 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 7 2015 - 8:35 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

#176 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 7 2015 - 11:27 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just gave them some and all the colonies went CRAZY over it. Every other worker was carrying a piece of it in to stick on the fungus.

• Wamdar and BrittonLS like this

#177 Offline BrittonLS - Posted August 10 2015 - 10:26 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
Apparently these ants have some other interesting behaviors. Like "suicidal punishment." I wonder if that was related to your little war. https://www.google.c...lojjthNpCXXIVdA
  • Gregory2455 likes this

#178 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 10 2015 - 12:16 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

#179 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 10 2015 - 12:20 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Could also be that they are highly sensitive to environmental changes. For example, fish will die if the water temperature suddenly changes +/- a few degrees (remember floating the bag in the tank?) while humans won't be affected, maybe get a cold when it changes +/- 15 degrees. Maybe the sudden change of the environment or something in the environment caused them to "glitch". 

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#180 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 10 2015 - 2:49 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

65q24g4g5f

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, acromyrmex versicolor, journal, fungus growers, leaf cutters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users