• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it an ant queen? Also ID pls

Best Answer TennesseeAnts , May 24 2020 - 5:45 PM

Lasius aphidicola, looks like.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 25 2020 - 11:50 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

So are you saying L. claviger is polygynous?

I doubt they are in the wild, and I am doubtful that my two-queen colony will get workers because they only have 9 hosts. But yes, I often have them cooperate in captivity. I would even say they're facultatively polygynous, but since they haven't gotten workers together I cannot really claim that they're polygynous, just that they might be. 

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and MinigunL5 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 27 2020 - 4:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

So are you saying L. claviger is polygynous?

I doubt they are in the wild, and I am doubtful that my two-queen colony will get workers because they only have 9 hosts. But yes, I often have them cooperate in captivity. I would even say they're facultatively polygynous, but since they haven't gotten workers together I cannot really claim that they're polygynous, just that they might be.
I might try this. I bet they would be polygynous if they had as many hosts as mine.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users