• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Multiple worker and bug ID request (Whittier Narrows, CA) (3-15-2015)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 16 2015 - 9:16 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Habitat of collection:  Under rock, sandy soil

Length (from head to gaster):  6 mm, 4 mm
Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Black gaster, reddish-brown body
Distinguishing characteristics: Polymorphic
Anything else distinctive: 
Nest description: Exclusively beneath rocks and tunnels into soil below

These guys were very similar to the still-unknown colony I found under the rock at Chino/Carbon Canyon. Lots of alates and alate larvae/pupae. Sorry the pictures aren't great.

IMG 20150415 170853~01
IMG 20150415 192232~01
IMG 20150415 192413~01
IMG 20150415 192549~01

Habitat of collection:  Trail

Length (from head to gaster):  3-4 mm
Color, hue, pattern and texture:  Black gaster, reddish body
Distinguishing characteristics: 
Nest description: Sandy nest mound

Pheidole?

IMG 20150415 201643~01

Length (from head to gaster):  2 mm
Distinguishing characteristics: 
Nest description: Sandy nest mound

Nearly identical to the previous but smaller. In fact, I thought they were the same until I dumped them into the same container (add that to my dumb mistakes thread). Looks to me like Dorymyrmex bicolor.

IMG 20150415 201811~01

Length (from head to gaster):  1 mm

What the heck are these? They were moving across the trail by the thousands, if not hundreds of thousands (or more) if the same was occurring off trail.

IMG 20150415 192838~01

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2015 - 10:05 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's hard to tell for sure without seeing these from the side, but here are my guesses.

#1 Solenopsis xyloni

#2 Dorymyrmex bicolor

#3 Pheidole or S. xyloni

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 16 2015 - 11:14 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

#1 is significantly darker and larger than #3 though, I thought Solenopsis were a small species. How do Dorymyrmex compare in size with Solenopsis? Are there any dead giveaways to distinguish Pheidole vs. Solenopsis vs. D. bicolor? Because those three all look the same to me in the wild.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2015 - 11:19 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The first could possibly be S. invicta too, which would be darker in color. As for the size of Solenopsis, it depends what you consider small. S. xyloni and S. invicta range in size between 3 mm and about 6 mm within the same colony.

The dead give-away when it comes to the difference between Pheidole, Solenopsis, and Dorymyrmex would be this:

Pheidole and Solenopsis are both Myrmicinae and therefor have two petiole nodes, while Dorymyrmex is Dolichoderinae, which only has one.

Pheidole have spines, while Solenopsis do not.

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 16 2015 - 11:33 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Interesting, I guess that colony is not as special as I thought. I'm surprised I didn't find more, it was mostly Pheidole and Dorymyrmex that dominated the area.

Anyone have any clue about the bug? It was surreal how many there were.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2015 - 11:56 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Remember I'm just giving my best guess from what I can see in those pictures. Being that you found these in Southern California, if I could see them in person, I'm sure I could tell you the genera of all three after two seconds of looking at them, but pictures are a different story. Did you look at them with your microscope to confirm they have the characteristics I mentioned (one vs. two petiole nodes and spines vs. no spines)?

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 16 2015 - 12:04 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Remember I'm just giving my best guess from what I can see in those pictures. Being that you found these in Southern California, if I could see them in person, I'm sure I could tell you the genera of all three after two seconds of looking at them, but pictures are a different story. Did you look at them with your microscope to confirm they have the characteristics I mentioned (one vs. two petiole nodes and spines vs. no spines)?

Unfortunately no. I usually keep them in the freezer for better microscope pictures but I had too much on my plate last night and dumped them asap.  :facepalm:

#8 Offline James C. Trager - Posted April 16 2015 - 12:16 PM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

The bug looks like a nymph of one of the seed bugs, Lygaeidae, but hard to refine it more than that (at least for me it is). 

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2015 - 12:39 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh one more thing I remembered when looking these over again. Both Pheidole and Solenopsis have well defined antennal clubs, while Dorymyrmex do not. You can see this in the pictures.

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 18 2015 - 6:57 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

The first is almost certainly S. invicta, that species is very common in the Chino area. The second is Dorymyrmex bicolor or whatever. Easy way to tell in the field is to crush one. Dorymyrmex will have some scent while Solenopsis will not. The third is probably S. xyloni, also very common in that area.

• Foogoo likes this

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 18 2015 - 8:07 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What I don't get is why I have never smelled anything when crushing Dorymyrmex.

#12 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 21 2015 - 12:21 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

What I don't get is why I have never smelled anything when crushing Dorymyrmex.

Ditto. Same with Tapinoma which the two friends I was with were commenting on the smell. 

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2015 - 1:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh Tapinoma should smell terrible. I can assure you, if it doesn't smell, then either you're nose is plugged or it's not Tapinoma. :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users