• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Maybe a Pupae?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted May 11 2020 - 2:37 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Today I discovered what might be my first Pupae from my first queen! It was hard to tell so I thought I'd try taking a picture to get a better look. Sadly it is hard to get a good picture (one day I need to get a good camera or something) and I didn't want to disturb her too much. It's fuzzy but I think I can make out a head, antenna, and a gaster. Am I seeing it right or is it just wishful thinking and my imagination?

I caught her I think on the second week of April and have a picture of her with a batch of eggs from the 17th. Sadly I didn't think of dating her like I did with my other queens so I'm not 100% sure on her caught date. Now that I think about it I probably should have dated when I first saw eggs on them too... oh well.

So does anyone else see it or am I just imagining things?

Attached Images

• MaybeFirstPupa02.jpg

#2 Online Zeiss - Posted May 11 2020 - 2:38 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Looks like a pupa.

#3 Offline BitT - Posted May 11 2020 - 2:53 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thanks, Zeiss! I sure hope so. Feels like I been waiting forever just to see a pupa. XD Do you know how long it takes a new pupa to fully develop into a worker? And if I should feed them a tiny bit of honey right after a new worker starts being active or wait a while?

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 11 2020 - 2:54 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Thanks, Zeiss! I sure hope so. Feels like I been waiting forever just to see a pupa. XD Do you know how long it takes a new pupa to fully develop into a worker? And if I should feed them a tiny bit of honey right after a new worker starts being active or wait a while?

it shouldn't take long to become a worker as solenopsis invicta is an extremely fast growing species. Also you should feed them as soon as the worker emerges.

#5 Offline BitT - Posted May 11 2020 - 3:25 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you, Manitobant. Does this include some protein? Like a tiny piece of bug? I know protein is important for larva but not sure when it's appropriate to introduce it to a brand new colony. Or should I just start with a drop of honey and give them protein things later?

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2020 - 3:40 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Getting the queen sugar right away is very important since she’s been fasting so long, but protein would be good, too. This could be a segment of a mealworm, a cricket leg cut open, or crushed fruit flies (ideal for tiny colonies).
Now would also be a good time to think about preparing an escape proof container you can put the tube in to let the workers forage. Feeding in a test tube is stressful for everybody, even more so if painful stings are involved.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline BitT - Posted May 11 2020 - 4:04 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you, ANTdrew!

Though the videos I've watched and things I've read said to wait until 10 to 20 workers before letting them leave the test tube. Unless I misunderstood? Which is very possible. And from what I watched of Solenopsis Invicta they seem very timid in the early stages (maybe because workers are so vital at that early stage?) so I thought I'd still have plenty of time. But I already plan on making some grout and plexiglass nests and outwords perhaps this weekend since I nearly have all I need to do so.

So you think I should set them in an outworld immediately when the worker is moving around instead of waiting for more? I'm not too worried about their stings, I've been stung plenty by fire ants in my life. Though I do want to try and avoid stressing them out too much so they can thrive.

I do have two plexiglass fish tanks, one of which I had set up for my Pheidole Megacephala (thanks again to those who helped me ID them!) and so far I have had no escapee issues. I suppose I could house my first Solenopsis in the free one if the other set ups aren't ready soon enough. Not too worried about the other queens yet as they're still in the egg stage and I should have them their first set ups soon. I know Solenopsis Invicta are supposedly one of the worse escape artists, do you think I'll have much trouble at these early stages if I keep them well fed and watered and happy using the same containment methods as my Pheidole Megacephala?

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2020 - 5:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
With Solenopsis, you’ll get to ten workers basically as soon as workers start arriving. It will make feeding far less stressful if you can just drop food into their outworld and let them find it.
You’ll want to get some fluon and probably a good lid. I wouldn’t cut any corners if you’re trying to contain fire ants.
  • AntsBC likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users