• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rare ants that you have seen but never caught

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:57 AM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

I have seen a lot of rare ant species but never had a chance to catch it. I found a stigmatomma pallipes colony with a queen but I was a beginner and I didn't know they had a queen so I dumped them out of my aspirator. I've also seen some rare Carebara and Ectomomyrmex queens that I could not catch cause I was in Korea.

• Antkid12 and jushi like this

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 7 2020 - 7:17 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Colobopsis mississippiensis is near the top of my list. There's a colony that lives in a dead tree in my front yard and despite numerous, long nights of black-lighting, I have yet to catch a queen. I've also yet to catch Stenamma spp. and they would be awesome to keep.

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 7 2020 - 7:22 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Stigmatomma. I spent the entirety of my anting year 2018 trying to find a colony and queen. I only ever saw workers :ugone2far:

• Ants_Dakota likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 9:09 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Mine is a rather odd one, but Crematogaster. Never seen them before, excluding one alate. 

• ANTdrew and jushi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 7 2020 - 9:22 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I sometimes find Ponera pennsylvanica workers deep in my backyard, usually under rocks. 

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 7 2020 - 9:33 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Temnothorax ambiguus. They are extremely rare and me and my friend have only seen lone workers.

#7 Offline LaTun - Posted May 7 2020 - 9:58 AM

LaTun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

For me its Lasius fuliginosus. I have only seen a few workers in my area but never any alats or even the colonie.

#8 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 7 2020 - 10:07 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

For me its Trachymyrmex sp. I saw  several workers at Virginia beach but can't seem to find them where I live.

Edited by Antkid12, May 7 2020 - 10:27 AM.

• jushi likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#9 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 7 2020 - 10:26 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I have seen a lot of rare ant species but never had a chance to catch it. I found a stigmatomma pallipes colony with a queen but I was a beginner and I didn't know they had a queen so I dumped them out of my aspirator. I've also seen some rare Carebara and Ectomomyrmex queens that I could not catch cause I was in Korea

Awesome! I went to Korea but never saw Carebara. wish I had found a super-major.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2020 - 10:30 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Proceratium sp.. The only other 'rare' one would probably be Proceratium creek, but I did catch her.

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 11:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Temnothorax ambiguus. They are extremely rare and me and my friend have only seen lone workers.

They’re rare here too............

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:00 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Formica pallidefulva is mine. I have only dark black formica right now.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:19 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Camponotus chromaides is one, I've seen one single major in the forest by me but never was able to find her colony or a queen. Also I have a Camponotus discolor colony living in a dead tree in my backyard, and I've never seen anyone in IL with them. Hoping to catch a queen this season

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and jushi like this

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 3:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’ve never seen them in my life. I think they’re so beautiful............
  • ANTdrew likes this

#15 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 7 2020 - 7:27 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Hypoponera cf. opacior ergatoid male. I know it's not much, but as I collect specimens, losing this male was quite the loss. Most of the rare ants I find I end up capturing.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 7 2020 - 8:03 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Just found a Proceratium worker.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this

#17 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 7 2020 - 8:20 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Some type of Neivamyrmex, which are incredibly rare to see here. But I wouldn't ever catch those, too hard to keep for me.

• TennesseeAnts and VenomousBeast like this

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2020 - 2:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I really only like finding ordinary ants, but I want to find any native Pheidole queens this year. I’ve seen a dozen or so workers in my area, but that’s it.
Last Labor Day, a Stigmattoma queen landed on me, and I was like, meh. I went on collecting plain ol’ Crematogaster queens.
CheetohLord, come to Virginia when spring first hits for real, and you’ll find as many C. chromaiodes as you want.
  • FeedTheAnts, VenomousBeast and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 8 2020 - 3:02 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I really only like finding ordinary ants, but I want to find any native Pheidole queens this year. I’ve seen a dozen or so workers in my area, but that’s it.
Last Labor Day, a Stigmattoma queen landed on me, and I was like, meh. I went on collecting plain ol’ Crematogaster queens.
CheetohLord, come to Virginia when spring first hits for real, and you’ll find as many C. chromaiodes as you want.

I second ANTdrew on the C. chromaiodes in the spring! They're everywhere!! 

• ANTdrew likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 8 2020 - 3:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, most abundant Camponotus by a country mile. I love ‘em.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users