• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants I've found not previously recorded in the state

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:36 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well, hate to break it to you, but those are commonly found(and recorded) in the state of Connecticut.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:45 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Virginia

Formica sanguinea

Edited by Antkid12, May 18 2020 - 5:46 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#23 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:47 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Formica sanguinea is a European species. It is probably another slave raiding sp.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#24 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:47 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Formica sanguinea is a European species. It is probably another slave raiding sp.

oh...

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#25 Offline jushi - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:29 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Well, hate to break it to you, but those are commonly found(and recorded) in the state of Connecticut.

He was talking about AntMaps and AntWiki. I've seen them all over the place, yet I don't see them being recorded.

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#26 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:31 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Antmaps has them recorded in Connecticut: https://antmaps.org/...orium.immigrans

• CheetoLord02 likes this

#27 Offline jushi - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:01 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Antmaps has them recorded in Connecticut: https://antmaps.org/...orium.immigrans

That's strange... selecting "diversity view" you don't see tetramorium immigrans in Connecticut

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#28 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:10 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

That's strange... selecting "diversity view" you don't see tetramorium immigrans in Connecticut

Antmaps doesn't show exotic species unless you specifically tell it to give you their range.
  • CheetoLord02 and AntsDakota like this

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 19 2020 - 8:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Antmaps doesn't show exotic species unless you specifically tell it to give you their range.

Yes. AntMaps' diversity view shows what species are native, not what species are present.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#30 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 24 2020 - 10:43 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I FREAKING GOT ONE! IN ILLINOIS, THE MOST OVERSTUDIED STATE EVER!!!

Nylanderia trageri.

I know, not the coolest species. STILL! I was never expecting to be able to add to this topic living in a well studied state.

• AnthonyP163, VoidElecent, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#31 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

CheetoLord02 and I actually managed to find two unrecorded of Nylanderia species together in IL on the same trip xD. The one I found, and am currently keeping a colony of, was Nylanderia cf. querna. Cool little species. They seem like if Temnothorax sp. hybridized with Nylanderia  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#32 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:40 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

CheetoLord02 and I actually managed to find two unrecorded of Nylanderia species together in IL on the same trip xD. The one I found, and am currently keeping a colony of, was Nylanderia cf. querna. Cool little species. They seem like if Temnothorax sp. hybridized with Nylanderia  :lol:

Well, Nylanderia querna technically is documented in IL, just not very well. It definitely was cool to confirm their presence in the state cus their records definitely seemed questionable before.

#33 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:51 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Well, Nylanderia querna technically is documented in IL, just not very well. It definitely was cool to confirm their presence in the state cus their records definitely seemed questionable before.

Oh you are right! My mistake. There's no locations, and their records definitely did seem questionable, so yeah it's good that I was able to confirm their presence.

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#34 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 27 2020 - 1:04 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Added new species to my list! I finally got the specimens from Kentucky identified, though I'm having trouble with the Monomorium.

#35 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 27 2020 - 2:18 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Added new species to my list! I finally got the specimens from Kentucky identified, though I'm having trouble with the Monomorium.

Hah, good luck with that Monomorium, save yourself the headache and leave it at Monomorium sp.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#36 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted May 27 2020 - 2:50 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Hah, good luck with that Monomorium, save yourself the headache and leave it at Monomorium sp.

They're that hard to ID, eh? I'll leave it at that... haha

#37 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 27 2020 - 4:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Unless you live in South Dakota, where the only recorded species is M. minimum.
  • TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#38 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 27 2020 - 6:21 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

PA:

Colobopsis mississippiensis

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 7:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Camponotus americanus, which were not previously recorded, are actually quite common here, as far as Camponotus go (which isn’t that common, but still).
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#40 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 7:47 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
What is the distinct feature of camponotus, so I can identify them.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users