• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis imparis founding

founding prenolepis prenolepis imparis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CreeperUniverse - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:11 AM

CreeperUniverse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNYC

Last year, I caught a bunch of Prenolepis imparis queens, most of which got sold.The 1 colony I kept had 3 queens together, and eventually died from their workers never foraging. I just caught 4 queens yesterday, and probably will find more today. I'm not planning on selling them this time (I want the best chance of actually getting a colony), so how many queens is optimal to keep together? I've heard 3-5, but also know that they can have more. How problematic does it become for them to manage their brood with more than 5 queens? Should I just stick with 3-5?

#2 Offline AntsExodus - Posted May 3 2020 - 4:51 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

If I where you 5 queens in a colony would be great cause then there would be a higher chance of them surviving and faster growth.

#3 Offline Ants4fun - Posted May 3 2020 - 8:24 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I have found that with more than 3/5 queens they will scatter their eggs and not take care of their brood well.

#4 Offline cewtsoul - Posted July 5 2020 - 8:46 AM

cewtsoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

i have a 3 queen colony and they have all the eggs together. Also have had a 1 queen with 11 workers colony  for months then she finally laid eggs only to eat them a month later...most boring ants imo. They barely move or forage, then when  they have eggs or are in founding stage its "best" if you don't look at them lol....for months. Like i Said BORING ants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: founding, prenolepis, prenolepis imparis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users