• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Keeping a gecko with ants

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 2 2020 - 8:41 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Does anyone else keep a gecko or other reptile in a vivarium with a large ant colony?  I was thinking if I get a huge population of pavement ants going, or argentine ants, it might be cool to keep a small repitile with them that will enjoy eating some of them.

I'm curious if anyone else has done that.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 3 2020 - 5:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Does anyone else keep a gecko or other reptile in a vivarium with a large ant colony?  I was thinking if I get a huge population of pavement ants going, or argentine ants, it might be cool to keep a small repitile with them that will enjoy eating some of them.

I'm curious if anyone else has done that.

You'd probably have to get a more mellow species. It may not survive with a large colony of Tetramorium or Linepithima, or otherwise be forced into hiding in the far side of the tank.
  • BugFinder and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sounds like a bad idea to me. My Tetramorium would take down a gecko quicker than Trump’s stimulus checks arriving.
  • BugFinder, Canadant, AntsMaryland and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 8:16 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Thanks for the feedback.  Is there a reptile you think would be better suited for that?  Of course I can always just catch a few dozen ants and put them in a seperate tank with the reptile.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Ants will attack anything, including large reptiles. If the reptile was large and tough enough, it could survive, yet the ants constantly attacking it would probably make it's life miserable........

• BugFinder, TennesseeAnts, Manitobant and 2 others like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:16 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Good point.  I got the idea from watching an AC video where he put toads in one of his formicariums.  I guess we can chalk that up to more mis-information put out by the air conditioner guy lol.   Thanks for the info guys.   I didn't realize the ants would attack a reptile that was so much larger than them.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and jushi like this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

If they'll attack a human, they'll probably attack a reptile, too. I guess an ant's philosophy is, "Attack anything without colony pheromones, no matter how small or large, mellow or deadly."

• BugFinder, Canadant, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#8 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:20 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It make sense.

• AntsDakota likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#9 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:03 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Here is a vivarium with a gecko, a frog, a crab all manner of snails, slugs, bettles, spiders, millipedes, termites, and more than 3 different varieties of ants.

this is probablhy the most epic privately owned Vivarium in the world.  I would have added a couple more frogs, I would have added a Beta to the pond, an african dwarf frog in the pond, and some kuhli loaches, but even though he neglected the poind, 

What do you guys think of this??  

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#10 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:51 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

this is another one he buiilt that has salemanders and scorpions in it, as well as a butt load of ant species.   

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#11 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 3 2020 - 9:01 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Wouldn't it be fun to build a vivarium where a gecko can live maybe a frog, a crab, a couple small fish, several species of ants, and some psylicibin mushrooms!!   

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#12 Offline Canadant - Posted May 4 2020 - 2:58 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Go for it.
  • BugFinder likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#13 Offline Barristan - Posted May 4 2020 - 5:22 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

• BugFinder likes this

#14 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 4 2020 - 6:15 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

If you want a reptile that'll help with population control, you can use blind snakes or little brown skinks. Their scales are so smooth and flat that the ants can't get a grip on them

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#15 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It works, you just need a fairly aggressive herp and a fairly docile ant. Like lasius or brachymyrmex or something.

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:27 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, I would advise something like Lasius, or Myrmentoma. Both of which are pretty docile. Though, you really dant need to control the population of Myrmentoma. They have pretty small colonies most of the time.

• BugFinder likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 4 2020 - 10:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Lasius can be aggressive when they want to be. Mature colonies will swarm earthworms by the hundreds. Not that they could take down a reptile or anything though.................

• BugFinder likes this

#18 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:59 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

If you want a reptile that'll help with population control, you can use blind snakes or little brown skinks. Their scales are so smooth and flat that the ants can't get a grip on them

great suggestion!  Thanks.

• VenomousBeast likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#19 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted May 5 2020 - 3:31 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

I've only seen a blind snake once in person and that was in this pot of Dragon fruit I was growing. There was this tetramorium colony and I wanted to watch their progress so I could know when they were flying. Well, this blind snake kept their population down enough that they didn't even produce alates! Like, they still had enough workers to stay alive and function but this snake was wise enough not to eat all of it and to only eat a certain amount. I found it occasionally on the surface for a few seconds with ants swarming the heck out of it, but just kept doing what it was doing and the ants did nothing to it. I was Amazing! We named the snake the Conqueror of the Dragons! (which we named the colony the dragons because they lived in my Dragonfruit pot)

• BugFinder likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#20 Offline steam_funk - Posted May 13 2020 - 9:49 AM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

The only ants that wouldn't harass smaller animals would be difficult to actually see. And larger reptiles would just destroy the nest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users