• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Population Control

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 8 2017 - 8:10 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I know I am far away from this point, but I would just like to know how would I control the size of my colonies. The solenopsis invicta colonies are the ones I am most worried about, I know they multiply and I don't have enough room to expand their original area. I need them to stay content with 2 Rubbermaid containers. I have heard of the temperature being lowered but I do not have control of just my ant room I would have to change my whole house temperature which I am not willing to do. Anyone know any other ways?
  • Enderz likes this

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 8 2017 - 8:14 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You can not feed them as often.  Limiting food supply limits how many workers a colony can produce.  

I do recommend not keeping Solenopsis invicta and instead killing them off, especially if you live in the U.S., we don't need people keeping invasive ants.  

• Evanthomas89 likes this

#3 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 8 2017 - 8:20 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks for the information, also they are native now there are to many and people keeping a colony isn't gonna effect anything, if anything they will evolve our native ants and make them stronger.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 8 2017 - 8:24 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Thanks for the information, also they are native now there are to many and people keeping a colony isn't gonna effect anything, if anything they will evolve our native ants and make them stronger.

They have not been nativized, the government is still working on getting rid of them.  In some states it is illegal to do anything with them.  They aren't going to evolve anything.  I'm not going to argue with a new person in the hobby on how wrong it is to keep invasive pests like these, I have done that enough over the years of being on this forum.  

You're welcome for the information. 

• Evanthomas89 and AntsMaryland like this

#5 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 8 2017 - 10:47 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others. Also I am never releasing my colony, they are never going into the wild, they will die in my custody. If anything I depleted one colony from being in nature. Also don't assume what your not sure about, like "I am new at the hobby" Mr. Expert.
  • Gabraime and FeedTheAnts like this

Ants & Formicaria

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted September 9 2017 - 12:52 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Solenopsis invicta are born escapists and limiting food will only encourage them in their thrive to break out. They have a ridiculous growth rate (up to 11000 eggs per week) and if you can't give them the space they require you really shouldn't try to keep them. There are other ants with far less demands in terms of space and food (an adult RIFA colony can eat a full can of dog food per day).

And yes, they are a major pest, they do not evolve anything - they hunt, eradicate and replace native species. There's areas in southeast US where invicta is pretty much the only ant species left. They are not a good species to keep, especially for beginners. They are easy to raise but hard to keep, hard to contain and when they break out can cause a significant threat to children and pets.

Edited by Serafine, September 9 2017 - 12:52 AM.

• gcsnelling, Evanthomas89 and AntsMaryland like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline Barristan - Posted September 9 2017 - 1:32 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

I'm normally against artificially maintaining colony size but with some ant species you won't have any other chance if you want to keep them for some time. You can remove (kill) workers. If the colony is large enough it won't harm it. A lot of the people who keep leaf cutter ants, do that, however almost no one likes to speak about it publicly.

• FSTP, anttics and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:31 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Ok thank you guys, and I think I will be able to handle an adult RIFA colony, I will try limiting their food when the time comes. Also even if the wanted to escape I doubt it because you know, Rubbermaid containers are pretty much air tight, but still thank you for the warning. I may also try carnivores plants like the Venus fly trap. Oh, yes and the extreme growth and aggression of an adult RIFA colony are both of the reasons I wanted to keep them, they are a nice challenge, I think if I can care for RIFA I can take care of any ant.

Edited by AntPhycho, September 9 2017 - 8:35 AM.

Ants & Formicaria

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 9 2017 - 9:11 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Uhh, ok.

• Martialis and AntsMaryland like this

#10 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 9 2017 - 10:34 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Uhh, ok.

I know it is a bit bizarre I like these ants but we all have different likes.

Ants & Formicaria

#11 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2017 - 10:48 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I do recommend not keeping Solenopsis invicta and instead killing them off, especially if you live in the U.S., we don't need people keeping invasive ants.  

It's not like he's necessarily going to release them.

• AntPhycho likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#12 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 9 2017 - 11:56 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That is my exact point lol.

Ants & Formicaria

#13 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 9 2017 - 12:00 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Serafine could not have said it any better. 

My problem is the fact that people are keeping highly invasive, highly pest-like, extremely hardy ants (like Solenopsis invicta as well as Linepithema humile) that can harm the ecosystem around them. They demolish all other ant species around them. 

Accidents are always prone to happening, you never know if they will escape or not, no matter how hard you try.  

Apologies for hijacking this topic, I get carried away in discussions like these.  If you wish to continue our debate, feel free to PM me.  

Edited by Zeiss, September 9 2017 - 12:28 PM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 9 2017 - 4:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others.

I don't keep these. I find them boring. Apparently it's also illegal in California.

• BugFinder and klawfran3 like this

#15 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2017 - 5:36 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others.

I don't keep these. I find them boring. Apparently it's also illegal in California.

You find fire ants boring!

#16 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2017 - 5:41 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Serafine could not have said it any better. 

My problem is the fact that people are keeping highly invasive, highly pest-like, extremely hardy ants (like Solenopsis invicta as well as Linepithema humile) that can harm the ecosystem around them. They demolish all other ant species around them. 

Accidents are always prone to happening, you never know if they will escape or not, no matter how hard you try.  

Apologies for hijacking this topic, I get carried away in discussions like these.  If you wish to continue our debate, feel free to PM me.  

Good point, there is a pretty good chance that could happen, especially if we are talking about RIFA. Sorry if I sounded kinda snarky in my post.

Edited by TennesseeAnts, September 9 2017 - 5:42 PM.

#17 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 9 2017 - 5:43 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

You can remove (kill) workers. If the colony is large enough it won't harm it. A lot of the people who keep leaf cutter ants, do that, however almost no one likes to speak about it publicly.

What, people actually do that! Seems like a lot of work lol!

#18 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:44 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

You can remove (kill) workers. If the colony is large enough it won't harm it. A lot of the people who keep leaf cutter ants, do that, however almost no one likes to speak about it publicly.

Yes, killing leaf cutter ants to maintain a colony is a very effective way at keeping the population down.  Leaf cutter ant colonies get massive and have tons of fungus chambers.  

#19 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 10 2017 - 5:51 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Yes, killing leaf cutter ants to maintain a colony is a very effective way at keeping the population down.  Leaf cutter ant colonies get massive and have tons of fungus chambers.  

How do you do that? with your hands? Just randomly squashing workers?!

#20 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 10 2017 - 9:12 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

How do you do that? with your hands? Just randomly squashing workers?!

Remove fungus and workers at the same time.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users