• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Population Control

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 10 2017 - 9:45 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others.

I don't keep these. I find them boring. Apparently it's also illegal in California.

You used to keep them, and they are not illegal in all of California. Just some counties.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#22 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 10 2017 - 10:04 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others.

I don't keep these. I find them boring. Apparently it's also illegal in California.

You used to keep them, and they are not illegal in all of California. Just some counties.

It's illegal in California where they are present.  This list is undoubtedly going to grow, as the species grows. 

https://www.ecfr.gov...#sp7.5.301.xx15

That is a list of all areas in the US where they are illegal to do anything with.  

#23 Offline Barristan - Posted September 10 2017 - 10:41 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

How do you do that? with your hands? Just randomly squashing workers?!

Use a vacuum cleaner. If it's not a native species boil or freeze the dust bag before throwing it into the trash.

#24 Offline Formicarius - Posted September 10 2017 - 10:48 AM

Formicarius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

Anyone know any other ways?

1. Try feeding less Proteins. Gotta make sure your enclosure is escape proof for this one since it will make more workers try to escape.

2. Connect a "kill outworld" with a tube to their normal outworld/nest. Once its full of ants foraging flood it with boiling Water.

Your only choices. Lowering the temperature would also help but you already said you're not willing to do that.

#25 Offline lucas3431 - Posted September 10 2017 - 12:33 PM

lucas3431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIreland/Dublin

Easy answer.......just

• BugFinder likes this

#26 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 10 2017 - 3:45 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It's illegal in California where they are present.  This list is undoubtedly going to grow, as the species grows. 

https://www.ecfr.gov...#sp7.5.301.xx15

That is a list of all areas in the US where they are illegal to do anything with.

Yes, and my county, luckily, did not create any law like that.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#27 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 10 2017 - 4:17 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

According to that chart I am in "Quarantined Area", what exactly does that mean?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#28 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 10 2017 - 10:03 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

According to that chart I am in "Quarantined Area", what exactly does that mean?

You are not allowed to even touch them basically.  

#29 Offline Shaye - Posted September 11 2017 - 2:53 AM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Thanks for the information, also they are native now there are to many and people keeping a colony isn't gonna effect anything, if anything they will evolve our native ants and make them stronger.

I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others. Also I am never releasing my colony, they are never going into the wild, they will die in my custody. If anything I depleted one colony from being in nature. Also don't assume what your not sure about, like "I am new at the hobby" Mr. Expert.

Wait a minute... Something doesn't add up.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#30 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted September 11 2017 - 6:27 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Oops... well, now I know...

• BugFinder likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#31 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 11 2017 - 4:18 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Thanks for the information, also they are native now there are to many and people keeping a colony isn't gonna effect anything, if anything they will evolve our native ants and make them stronger.

I don't understand what your problem is, I am keeping one colony of solenopsis invicta, the owner of this forum keeps them himself, and many others. Also I am never releasing my colony, they are never going into the wild, they will die in my custody. If anything I depleted one colony from being in nature. Also don't assume what your not sure about, like "I am new at the hobby" Mr. Expert.

What doesn't add up? In my first post I meant that there are so many solenopsis invicta in America now, they might as well be native. There is no way anyone can get rid of all those ants.

Ants & Formicaria

#32 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted September 11 2017 - 4:33 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

What doesn't add up? In my first post I meant that there are so many solenopsis invicta in America now, they might as well be native. There is no way anyone can get rid of all those ants.

Invasive will always be invasive no matter the amount. Saying there is no way we can get rid of all those ants+ your ants can never escape is a little naive, unless you can see the future. This topic actually shows your age, which makes me believe you are in the defiant stage of puberty. Do yourself a favor, either listen to your peers that are older and have been in the ant keeping community for a while or just stop arguing.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#33 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 11 2017 - 5:17 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I went through that stage a while ago. I only argued with Zeiss because I felt like he came off a little rude, he just got instantly on my bad side. I thank all of the people on this topic for answering my questions.

Ants & Formicaria

#34 Offline Shaye - Posted September 11 2017 - 8:37 PM

Shaye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Well... Saying that they are native, and meaning that they are just good at being invasive are two entirely separate statements.. Also, you stating that they would "evolve" the native species and "make them stronger" is a very uneducated statement. Then calling him "Mr. Expert" as if he was so wrong to assume you were new from your blatant disregard for any scientific backing to your statement (albeit he did come off harshly) was very ironic due to your past statement and his correction of it.

Edited by Shaye, September 11 2017 - 8:39 PM.

• AntsMaryland likes this

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

#35 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 11 2017 - 8:50 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

What is possessing you to answer questions to which you clearly do not know the answer?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#36 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 11 2017 - 9:00 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

What is possessing you to answer questions to which you clearly do not know the answer?

I just wrote what it appeared to be saying in the law page; feel free to clear it up for me.  

#37 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 11 2017 - 9:06 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I just wrote what it appeared to be saying in the law page; feel free to clear it up for me.

I'm sure your "law page" didn't say that. Maybe if you referenced and directly quoted your sources, rather than paraphrasing poorly, more people would find your posts helpful?
  • BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#38 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 11 2017 - 9:11 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

I'm sure your "law page" didn't say that. Maybe if you referenced and directly quoted your sources, rather than paraphrasing poorly, more people would find your posts helpful?

If you're here to just argue for the hell of it, you can keep going; not worth my time.  

If you would like to correct me, go for it; I would like to be better informed of the laws.  

Here you go: https://www.ecfr.gov...#sp7.5.301.xx15.  

#39 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 11 2017 - 10:02 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

If you're here to just argue for the hell of it, you can keep going; not worth my time.  

Some people do care about the accuracy and truthfulness of the statements they make.  I've said many times that federal law—that is the US Code you referenced—does not impact intrastate activity, but rather relates to the treatment of infested agricultural products in interstate transport; though, it does ban the interstate transport of the ants, themselves, as well.  Intrastate means activity occurring within a single U.S. state or territory.  In contrast, interstate means activity occurring between two or more U.S. states or territories.  

The state quarantine laws affecting the "Movement, Possession, and Sale" of Solenopsis geminata, S. invicta, and S. richteri in California, for example, are completely separate from the US laws you referenced.  Some of the CDFA quarantine text is located here.   Only because those state laws prohibit "Imported fire ant queens and reproducing colonies of imported fire ants" as an article or commodity covered by the quarantine, are individuals within the specified geographic territories (Orange County, parts of Los Angeles County, and parts of Riverside County) prohibited from "Movement, Possession, and Sale" of the three Solenopsis species.

Other states may have laws related to the movement, possession, or sale of certain ants or insects. One must always check his or her local, state, and federal laws before forming legal opinions.  The only law that matters is that which is written in the text of the statute itself.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 11 2017 - 10:10 PM.

• Zeiss, gcsnelling and BugFinder like this

#40 Offline Zeiss - Posted September 11 2017 - 10:18 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Some people do care about the accuracy and truthfulness of the statements they make.  I've said many times that federal law—that is the US Code you referenced—does not impact intrastate activity, but rather relates to the treatment of infested agricultural products in interstate transport; though, it does ban the interstate transport of the ants, themselves, as well.  Intrastate means activity occurring within a single U.S. state or territory.  In contrast, interstate means activity occurring between two or more U.S. states or territories.  

The state quarantine laws affecting the "Movement, Possession, and Sale" of Solenopsis geminata, S. invicta, and S. richteri in California, for example, are completely separate from the US laws you referenced.  Some of the CDFA quarantine text is located here.   Only because those state laws prohibit "Imported fire ant queens and reproducing colonies of imported fire ants" as an article or commodity covered by the quarantine, are individuals within the specified geographic territories (Orange County, parts of Los Angeles County, and parts of Riverside County) prohibited from "Movement, Possession, and Sale" of the three Solenopsis species.

Other states may have laws related to the movement, possession, or sale of certain ants or insects. One must always check his or her local, state, and federal laws before forming legal opinions.  The only law that matters is that which is written in the text of the statute itself.

It appears I had gotten sources/information mixed up and interpreted parts of it incorrectly; thank you for clarifying the text for me.  

• FeedTheAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users