• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queens workers died and no longer laying eggs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:39 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
I got a CA-02 queen on December, and she was fine by then. She came in healthy, with six workers, and laying tons of brood. A month later, all of her workers died, and she suddenly stopped laying eggs. She hasn’t laid a single one since but she seems alive. I put in chopped up red runner in her test tube every three weeks, but she doesn’t seem to touch it, just letting it mold and attract mites. What should I do?

:>

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
This happened with a C. pennsylvanicus colony I once had. Sad to say, but she had lost the ability to care fo brood, and died. I wouldn’t lose hope, though, as your queen could still possibly raise workers again. It’ll be a struggle, though, as she’s used to having workers do everything for her now.
  • Solenoqueen likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Aliallaie - Posted April 26 2020 - 11:06 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia, 20112

That happened to my camponotus chromaiodes. They had over 20 workers and right before diapause workers started dying to a point where the brood started dying and in the end queen died. Camponotus are known for their odd sudden death of colony. But like antdekota said don’t lose hope. 

• Solenoqueen likes this

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 26 2020 - 11:34 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Dam I'm sorry bro.  I hope she starts laying again.

• Solenoqueen and TennesseeAnts like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 26 2020 - 4:44 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

i made a meme about this kind of thing a few days ago

Camponotus die suddenly

• Solenoqueen, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#6 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted April 27 2020 - 11:47 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Thanks for the support everyone! It seems I'm not really alone about this happening. How would I be able to revive her, just keep feeding her roach halves and changing the test tube every month or so? If anyone's revived their Camponotus I'd like to know their experience and like how they did it. Thanks.

#7 Offline EthanNgo678 - Posted April 27 2020 - 5:34 PM

EthanNgo678

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationMarin, Ca

Thanks for the support everyone! It seems I'm not really alone about this happening. How would I be able to revive her, just keep feeding her roach halves and changing the test tube every month or so? If anyone's revived their Camponotus I'd like to know their experience and like how they did it. Thanks.

I've kept a few Camponotus that lost workers the two (different species) queens reached pupa stage. Then, failed to open them. 

Plants r cool

#8 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted April 30 2020 - 6:42 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I rehoused her recently and freshly killed two melanogaster fruit flies for her to eat. She doesn't look too well though... no eggs, no larvae. Any suggestions?

#9 Offline JenC - Posted May 1 2020 - 12:32 AM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

I rehoused her recently and freshly killed two melanogaster fruit flies for her to eat. She doesn't look too well though... no eggs, no larvae. Any suggestions?

You can brood boost her, as new workers might start her up again.
Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#10 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted May 1 2020 - 9:43 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This has happened to me too many times. All of the queens died. You'd have to be lucky to start a colony like that back up.

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users