• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Male Camponotus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline M_Ants - Posted April 25 2020 - 7:32 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA
IMG 1868
Album: Ants
385 images
0 comments

1. Location (on a map) of collection: La Mesa 
2. Date of collection: 4/45/2020
3. Habitat of collection: Urban
4. Length (from head to gaster): 3/4 inch
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture:Black 

6. Nuptial flight time and date: Today

Edited by M_Ants, April 26 2020 - 9:15 AM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 25 2020 - 8:25 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Looks like a camponotus male to me

#3 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted April 25 2020 - 8:26 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

yeah, looks like a camponotus male, although males can be hard to ID. on a completely unrelated note, who the heck calls male ants kings?

• Manitobant likes this

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted April 26 2020 - 2:28 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, calling males kings makes sense for terrmites. For ants - not so much.

Ant males are basically one-use sperm-loaded queen-seeking cruise missiles bred for one purpose and one pruprose only (there are a few exceptions of males staying with the colony and defending their own territories within the hive but that's very rare and only true for some super obscure species).

Edited by Serafine, April 26 2020 - 2:30 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Manitobant, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 26 2020 - 6:20 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I found one just like that on the 31st of march.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 7:06 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, calling males kings makes sense for terrmites. For ants - not so much.
Ant males are basically one-use sperm-loaded queen-seeking cruise missiles bred for one purpose and one pruprose only (there are a few exceptions of males staying with the colony and defending their own territories within the hive but that's very rare and only true for some super obscure species).

’Prince’ would be more accurate.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 26 2020 - 8:12 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Not really. Disposable one use trash would be the most accurate.

• CheetoLord02 and Ants_Dakota like this

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted April 26 2020 - 12:02 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationGermany

Ant males aren't trash, they are extremely efficient tools for a very streamlined mating process.

Unlike termites ants do not have to bother with keeping both males and females alive, by disposing the males immediately after the mating they have less mouths to feed which is a great thing during the founding process. Also ant males usually are thin, agile, very skilled flyers (unlike the fat queens) and due to their thin stature and their one-use nature the ants can minimize the resources going into their breeding and feeding program until they fly off to fulfil their purpose. Usually the colony doesn't even need to dispose of them because that's already part of the flight process (unlike bee drones which often return to the hive when they didn't manage to find a queen ant males usually don't do that, they just stay outside to try on the next day until they succeed, get eaten by a predator or die from exhaustion).

Edited by Serafine, April 26 2020 - 12:03 PM.

• gcsnelling, TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users