• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small ants (Tetra's) and sand in outworld?

sand question outworld small ants tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 20 2020 - 8:36 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

I have a few questions (if anyone can help me) about the Tetramoriums I will be putting in my setup in the next couple of days. I have researched as much as I can and am fairly confident but if anyone here has real experience with it I'd love to hear about it.

1] The substrate in my outworld is reptile sand, quartz sand I'm fairly sure. Some say boil the sand first, some say it doesn't matter. I myself did not and wonder if this will possibly pose a problem?

2] Also will they have a hard time walking/dragging prey through the dry sand? For early stages I have a little tupperware cup with doors cut in it for feeding, but eventually I'd like to get rid of it all together when they are strong enough as a colony.

3] Also on the topic of dry sand, if I wet the substrate do you think they will dig/nest in it? It isn't very deep at all, the substrate. (there is pics in my journal) But I really don't want to encourage nesting in the outworld. Also does anyone with experience with reptile sand know if it stays packed after it dries or if it returns to normal state?

4] Should I water the outworld at all with a hybrid nest? The hybrid nest has proper moisture gradient and bla bla but being as its a pretty large outworld should I wet it? Or have satellite tubes with water/cotton instead?

Hopefully ya'll understand what I mean and look forward to hearing any advice.

• Temperateants likes this

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#2 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 21 2020 - 2:27 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Sterilized sand is free from parasites, diseases and mites. It would be good to sterilize it. My tetramorium like dragging back smaller prey, so try baby mealworms, fruitflies, and fruitfly maggots. Keep the outworld dry at all costs. Decreases mold, mites, chance of nesting, and smells. It is important for the nest to have a proper moisture gradient.

• ADHTCIAD likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 21 2020 - 5:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Definitely provide dry sand for your Tetas. They love moving around sand and build cool pile around the entrance to their nests. I think it's an important part of their instincts and helps their psychological well being, but maybe I'm anthropomorphizing. Your reptile sand should be totally fine. They'll have no trouble walking on it.

• ADHTCIAD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 21 2020 - 9:52 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Dry sand it is then, thanks peeps!

@- Temperateants

The formicarium definitely will have a moisture gradient, shouldn't be hard to accomplish that with a hybrid nest designed towards Tetras. I have meal-worms stocked already, but fruit-fly maggots is a really great idea for the small little devils. Is the terrarium sand not sterilized already? For the reptiles sake..? I would assume it is but I can't find anything concrete about it myself. Online or on the product itself. (the sand)

@- ANTdrew

Glad to hear, I wasn't sure how well they would handle it. I kind of figured they'd be fine considering that yes they do love to make their entrances/tunnels smaller etc. Encouraging natural behaviors is number one for any animal kept in captivity in my opinion. Don't think I will put any sand in the formicarium itself but I will use some kind of medium to block some of the rooms so they can dig and expand on their own.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 21 2020 - 10:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If the sand is packaged for pets, then it will be fine as is. I sometimes put sand in my toaster oven for ten minutes, so you could do that if you want to be extra safe.

Edited by ANTdrew, April 21 2020 - 11:21 AM.

• ADHTCIAD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 21 2020 - 11:16 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

What is the nest itself like? I only ask because I've noticed my Tetramorium have historically been quick to bring back sand and plaster it all over any windows into their nests, limiting visibility. It's not so bad these days, I'm not sure why (habituation? larger colony size? I dunno?), but it was really, really irritating for quite some time.

• ADHTCIAD likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#7 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 21 2020 - 11:36 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

@- OhNoNotAgain

https://www.antscana...ybrid-nest-2-0/

That's the nest I have. And that's also why I plan on filling most of the rooms myself with coconut husk maybe or something, so they can dig as they expand and bring material out, not in lol. That's my hopes anyhow, if they decide to do otherwise...... well, not much you can do about nature lol.

@- ANTdrew

I think I'll just take my chances and see how it goes lol. I'm sure it will be fine. More so there's just no way I'm scooping all that sand and boiling it now, it's already in there. :whistle:

#8 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted April 21 2020 - 12:39 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Careful with filling nests with loose substrate ... I once had some dirt in a flat set up sort of like that nest, and it forced the queen up near the window. The queen promptly got caught in some condensation and drowned.  :facepalm: EDIT: It would be esp. risky for smaller queens/workers.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, April 22 2020 - 3:05 PM.

• ADHTCIAD likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#9 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 21 2020 - 1:05 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Careful with filling nests with loose substrate ... I once had some dirt in a flat set up sort of like that nest, and it forced the queen up near the window. The queen promptly got caught in some condensation and drowned.  :facepalm:EDIT: It would be esp. risky for smaller queens/workers.

Thanks for the warning! I'll change my mind on that one then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sand, question, outworld, small ants, tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users