• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinders Tetramorium (sp)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 19 2020 - 8:12 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Good luck! A week ago a saw a nuptial flight of Tetramorium but for some reason none of the alates could fly, and they were spinning in circles on the ground.  :thinking:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Tetramorium will oftentimes mate on the ground.

I didn't know that! :) I wonder if the ants I saw didn't develop their wing muscles right or something.

• AntsDakota likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 19 2020 - 8:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Good luck! A week ago a saw a nuptial flight of Tetramorium but for some reason none of the alates could fly, and they were spinning in circles on the ground.  :thinking:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Tetramorium will oftentimes mate on the ground.

I didn't know that! :) I wonder if the ants I saw didn't develop their wing muscles right or something.

Many species actually do mate on the ground. Most of the ones I can think of off hand are Myrmicinaes.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 19 2020 - 7:17 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Very few species will actually finish the whole process in the air.. Most of them bunch up in the air then fall to the ground to “seal the deed”.
  • BugFinder and AntsDakota like this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 20 2020 - 4:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I believe Lasius neoniger does most of the process in the air, though. They will mate on the ground, however, or even in a container if they're caught out of their flight.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 20 2020 - 9:46 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I have witnessed Lasius mating mid-air. Right before they hit the ground, the male would drop off.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 20 2020 - 9:49 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Lasius aren't as picky about where they mate as some ants, though.  :)

#27 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 24 2020 - 4:45 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It looks like she has hauled her eggs out of the tube and is hanging out with them in a corner of the outworld.  she has also put some of the dirt from her outworld inside the tube.

I checked on her today.  She has moved her eggs back into the tube, and has moved more dirt into the tube.  She looks like she is doing ok, but ti's taking forever for those eggs to develop.   

Is it possible she could have laid unfertalized eggs that will never develop, or will she only lay eggs if she has mated successfully?

Edited by BugFinder, May 24 2020 - 4:46 PM.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#28 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:11 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have many unmated queens lay tons of eggs. The fact that she flew in April leads me to guess she could be a reject from last year.

• BugFinder likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I have many unmated queens lay tons of eggs.

Except they usually scatter them all across the tube..........
  • BugFinder likes this

#30 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:51 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
A lot of the time they also make neat and tidy piles for me.
  • BugFinder and AntsDakota like this

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:52 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Hmm....... I guess the only real determiner is males eclosing, then.

#32 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:53 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Most of the time nothing ecloses, as they don't hatch.

#33 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 24 2020 - 6:42 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

they don't grow from eggs to larva if they arent' fertilized, correct?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#34 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 24 2020 - 10:37 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

they don't grow from eggs to larva if they arent' fertilized, correct?

Most of the time they don't develop, but occasionally the egg will actually develop and become a male alate.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#35 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:07 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I checked on her again today.  I have been leaving the ants alone as much as possible hoping they will thrive more if undistrubed.   I didn't see her anywhere, but she had built a dirt wall to seperate her from the opening of the tube.   I had bought some crickets to feed everyone, and thinking she might be dead, I put 3 small/medium crickets in her outworld to keep them until I need then for the other ant colony.  the crickets quickly went into the tube to drink water, and judging from their reactions, she was biting them in the face.  they raced out of the tube and she became really active.  I ciouldn't see any eggs or brood, so my guess is she is infertile.  I'll keep feeding her until she dies on her own.   

Another observation I made:  I had offered her some honey in a half acorn shell a few weeks ago.  Since then it looks like she has eaten, or maybe just chewed off part of the acorn shell and the honey drained into the dirt.  now there is a wetspot around the shell where the honey flowed.

Edited by BugFinder, June 3 2020 - 7:11 AM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You should just close up the test tube with another cotton ball. This is a fully claustral species. Definitely don't let other insects wander in the tube.

• BugFinder likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#37 Offline BugFinder - Posted June 3 2020 - 7:28 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

none of the eggs have progressed to larva.  I don't even see the eggs any more, she may have eaten them.  I suspect she may not have mated..

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#38 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:24 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

You should not have given her an outworld or fed her LIVE crickets! Like Drew said, close her tube off with another piece of cotton. Only semi-claustral queens need to eat during the founding stage. Only feed the colony once she has workers.

#39 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 6:33 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
She could’ve eaten the eggs out of stress of being ‘attacked’ (from an ant’s perspective) by gigantic crickets.
  • Canadant likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users