• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AC Ant Tower

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 22 2020 - 7:01 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Does any of you own an ant tower?  Do you like it?  What are the goods and the bads of using it?  TIA.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted April 22 2020 - 8:06 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Hello! I have an AC ant tower, and it tried to move my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony into there, but they wanted to still stick with the test tube (though they did dig a little bit). Camponotus aren’t really diggers, so that’s probably one of the reasons. The good side of a ant tower is that you get to see your ants dig, which is cool. And, one of the bad sides is that the material your using (depending on what material your using) can eventually get moldy or get other types of diseases (some materials do last longer than others). And so, you need to eventually take them out. Hopefully that is helpful  :D

Edited by Thunder_Birds, April 22 2020 - 8:07 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#Ants4Life

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 22 2020 - 8:10 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Hello! I have an AC ant tower, and it tried to move my Camponotus Pennsylvanicus colony into there, but they wanted to still stick with the test tube (though they did dig a little bit). Camponotus aren’t really diggers, so that’s probably one of the reasons. The good side of a ant tower is that you get to see your ants dig, which is cool. And, one of the bad sides is that the material your using (depending on what material your using) can eventually get moldy or get other types of diseases (some materials do last longer than others). And so, you need to eventually take them out. Hopefully that is helpful  :D

would you recommend it for tetramorium sp?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline Unfrozen - Posted April 22 2020 - 10:07 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

would you recommend it for tetramorium sp?

tetra are verry hardy anything should work but a really cheap setup is a pitri dish nest connected to a diy outworld

• BugFinder likes this

#5 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted April 23 2020 - 4:55 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

For a cheaper option made by one of our own members might I suggest the dirt box made by dspdrews. I know they say out of stock, but I would pm him.

https://www.formicul...eping-products/

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2020 - 5:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Dirt box is amazing if you can get your hands on one. Tetramorium would thrive in it! They would outgrow it quicker than COVID spread, though.

• Ants_Dakota, Thunder_Birds and ADHTCIAD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 23 2020 - 6:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

With any dirt setup, whether it's the Tower or the Dirt Box, I prefer sand, and not soil. That's also one of the reasons I love desert ants: they prefer it too!  :lol:

Edited by AntsDakota, April 23 2020 - 6:24 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline Whitelotus - Posted April 23 2020 - 9:36 AM

Whitelotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California

The AC Ant tower is good unless you use a tiny species with them. I had several workers escaping through the air pores and it was just more hassle than what it was worth.

• ANTdrew likes this

#9 Offline Broncos - Posted April 23 2020 - 1:09 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
The ac ant tower is really good for medium species but I would suggest dspdrew’s dirt boxes because they have flat sides and provides a better view of the ants.
  • Whitelotus likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users