• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Heating question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 22 2020 - 12:10 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

My formicarium is going to go inside my outworld, which is a fairly large aquarium therefore its tall. If I used a heating cable, the cord would run up and out and my OCD absolutely hates that idea lol. Not to mention it would basically be a highway for the ants. So my question is....

If I stick a 4w heating pad on the glass underneath the aquarium right at one end will that be enough? It's all I can find locally besides a 25w 11ft cable.

And should I make sure the nest is 1/4 on the pad and 3/4 off or half and half? or all the way? Or switch it up with the seasons? I live in southern Saskatchewan and from late fall to mid spring its pretty cold lol. Winters are usually -20 to -40c. Temps just went into the plus this last week for more than a day or two at a time.

Thanks again (y)

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#2 Offline Aliallaie - Posted April 22 2020 - 11:49 AM

Aliallaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationManassas, Virginia, 20112

If it’s not directly on the aquarium and I would suggest 1/4. Maybe make it half and half in the summer. You always want to prevent over heating. 

• ADHTCIAD likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 22 2020 - 1:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Place the heat mat under the half of the aquarium opposite the formicarium. If you have a lid, you will create a nice greenhouse effect that will also solve condensation issues. Definitely do not run any cables out of the set up unless you want Tetras taking over your kitchen.
  • ADHTCIAD likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users