• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding ants wild prey

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 15 2020 - 11:03 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi, 

I'm running low on feeder insects, and I unfortunately am unable to get any. What are some generally clean arthropods? There are cellar spiders in my house that I'm considering feeding to my ants. I know that there is a risk of mites, so I have to put the spider in boiling water. Is there a risk that the spiders ate insects from the outside and has toxins in their hemolymphs?

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 15 2020 - 11:08 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Hi, 

I'm running low on feeder insects, and I unfortunately am unable to get any. What are some generally clean arthropods? There are cellar spiders in my house that I'm considering feeding to my ants. I know that there is a risk of mites, so I have to put the spider in boiling water. Is there a risk that the spiders ate insects from the outside and has toxins in their hemolymphs?

I go out and find large beetles like Bess Beetles for my larger colonies, any native roaches for medium colonies and native Darkling Beetle larvae for my small/founding colonies.

• Temperateants likes this

#3 Offline justanotheramy - Posted April 15 2020 - 11:26 AM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

My ants won't eat purchased insects, so I'm fortunate my garden offers a good variety.
I've been here 20 years and don't use poisons.

I find mealworms and earwigs under decaying logs, and both are quite acceptable to my ants if I behead and gut them first.
They also like flies.

• Temperateants likes this

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 15 2020 - 11:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My colonies love spiders I find in my house. I think they’re relatively safe if nothing is sprayed in your home. Don’t collect ANYTHING if you live in an apartment.
Other good insects to gather are grubs of all kinds, earwigs, terrestrial beetles, crickets, and termites. I think it’s more a question of where you gather as opposed to what you gather.
  • ConcordAntman, Temperateants and justanotheramy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 15 2020 - 11:35 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

My colonies love spiders I find in my house. I think they’re relatively safe if nothing is sprayed in your home. Don’t collect ANYTHING if you live in an apartment.
Other good insects to gather are grubs of all kinds, earwigs, terrestrial beetles, crickets, and termites. I think it’s more a question of where you gather as opposed to what you gather.

Isn't it possible that spiders have contaminated hemolymph if they eat an insect which has contact with a toxin?

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 15 2020 - 12:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It is possible, but I’ve fed tons of spiders to all my colonies without issue. You need to consider what’s going on around you. If there are a lot of pristine gardens with perfect lawns, you can be sure people are spraying toxins. Home gardeners use three times the chemicals that farmers do. I’m lucky enough (depending on how you look at it) to live in a relatively ghetto area where most yards are neglected and weedy. Benign neglect is wildlife’s best friend in an urban area.
  • AntsDakota, Temperateants and justanotheramy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Canadant - Posted April 15 2020 - 1:15 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
The house flies gather on decks and wooden porches this time of year. They're slow and sometimes freeze. You'll find them alive on the ground. If they're still they're probably not dead.

Flies are a big hit with all my ant species.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#8 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 15 2020 - 1:17 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Well yards around mine look pretty clean and green, how far can pesticides go?

The spiders are in my basement, not sure if that would help.

there's a pretty beefy house spider in my mom's upstairs pot plants.

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 15 2020 - 5:57 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

those will all work. all of my feeders come from outside.

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 15 2020 - 6:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The house flies gather on decks and wooden porches this time of year. They're slow and sometimes freeze.

Slow? Are we talking about the same fly? I’ve even developed my skills and reflexes into a martial art of sorts. Even then, I have a hard time catching them.......... unless you catch them with a net. I swat them by hand.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users