• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Skocko76's Aphaenogaster epirotes journal

journal aphaenogaster epirotes

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 2 2020 - 8:30 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I really like the look of that nest.

Yeah, it's great! It's Aeacus Corinth small (v1), FYI.

#22 Offline Canadant - Posted June 2 2020 - 12:09 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Formicarium is cool but what's it like raising aphenogastor? I keep finding colonies of these guys and I almost had a wild queen the other day (would've grabbed the workers and brood if I caught her, but she slipped away). They're a beautiful ant.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#23 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 2 2020 - 12:55 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
They are still a very young colony, pretty uneventful. Very shy and leave the nest to forage at night only. Have huge appetite for insects which may be hard to get in quantities once they grow larger. They don't care much for sugar or fruit. Very clean, have a "trash can" corner, which they empty in the outworld regularly. They might have interesting hunting patterns once they get larger and aggressive.
  • Canadant likes this

#24 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 9 2020 - 6:53 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Exactly one week after the first pupa, eyes became apparent (7th Jun).

The photo is from two days later, so you can spot many pupae ogling you :D.

IMG 20200609 154155

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and mantisgal like this

#25 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 16 2020 - 2:14 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

16 days after spotting the first pupa, the gasters are turning brown. Just last night they weren't.

Temperature is now 24 C (75 F) and humidity in high fifties (61% at the moment).

IMG 20200616 104638

• ANTdrew, Antkid12 and mantisgal like this

#26 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 23 2020 - 8:32 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

It is now 25 C (77 F) and I have noticed significant speedup in development times of all my colonies.

The first workers have enclosed yesterday - 22 days after the first pupa was spotted! The pupae turned dark brown some 17-18 days in- the same colour of the workers. I almost did not notice them enclosing as there doesn't seem to be any difference in colour between just enclosed ants and the old ones. In other species I had, the newly enclosed ones are pale for at least a day before they darken. 

I noticed the nest to be "more crowded than before", and upon counting them, I realised there were 17 where 13 had previously been.

There are still dark pupae on the way, together with some still pale ones and new larvae.

IMG 20200623 114923

• mantisgal likes this

#27 Offline skocko76 - Posted June 29 2020 - 9:00 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

It's 28 C (82.5 F) in the house now and the development of all my colonies has exploded!

All the old pupae have enclosed, and new larvae are on the way.

The colony has 30 workers now!

IMG 20200629 122652

• TennesseeAnts, Antennal_Scrobe and mantisgal like this

#28 Offline Del - Posted July 25 2020 - 5:01 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU
That colony is looking great, each new batch of workers is a joy when the colony is so small :)

#29 Offline skocko76 - Posted August 31 2020 - 4:19 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The colony has entered some kind of stagnation. The queen is not producing new eggs and the workers don't forage (never did, really).

The species is clearly nocturnal, almost never have I seen a worker outside the nest.

I have moved them into a test tube, as I had some rust problems with my makeshift fastenings on the underside of the nest. It is possible the humidity is not sufficient, as they all snug all the way to the cotton.

I will soon move them back, and that could kick them off again.

• ANTdrew likes this

#30 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 31 2020 - 6:27 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Aphaenogaster are relatively inactive anyway.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#31 Offline skocko76 - Posted October 31 2020 - 9:56 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

The winter is coming, and the colony has kicked out of stagnation and made a new batch of eggs?!  The eggs are already larvae now.

It is very interesting, as I remember the queen being caught late in the summer, and she laid eggs before hibernation. That was very odd to me as I believed her to be a Messor at the time.

I don't understand what the survival tactic of this species is. They are pretty inactive and don't forage farther than an inch from the nest. Literally an inch. Since they are mostly carnivorous, and don't hunt, the only strategy I can think of is relying on sheer luck that some unfortunate bug croaks right next to the nest. 

As the weather is getting colder, I have noticed a drastic increase of flies and bugs entering people's homes in search of heat. Perhaps the impeding mass dying of insects is the season of plenty for the Aphaenogaster. If so, it would make sense to lay a big batch of eggs now.

The colony has around 40 workers, so I would think it should be big enough to send scouts out at all times, but nope.

Does anyone have experience with bigger colonies and whether they turn more aggressive with size?

IMG 20201031 184126

• mantisgal likes this

#32 Offline skocko76 - Posted November 27 2020 - 8:56 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

Diapause? nah. 40 workers, 2 pupae, lots of larvae and a new batch of eggs?!?

Here they are, feasting on some protein jelly. They are the only species I have that like the jelly.

They are in a room that is not heated, window open, so natural temperature... weird.

It's possible the queen lied the eggs as winter food for the larvae.

IMG 20201127 174317

• mantisgal likes this

#33 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 27 2020 - 9:51 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I've noticed this same thing with Aphaenogaster. They will stay active and produce new workers and brood all year long. I don't know why, but it is pretty cool.

• skocko76 and Bigchungus2137 like this

#34 Offline skocko76 - Posted November 27 2020 - 12:02 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

I've noticed this same thing with Aphaenogaster. They will stay active and produce new workers and brood all year long. I don't know why, but it is pretty cool.

Wow. That is cool. I will have to think of a source of protein for them over winter. Hard boiled egg comes to mind...

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#35 Offline skocko76 - Posted December 3 2020 - 1:56 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

It's almost Christmas, yet the colony still takes protein. As Ant_Dude said, it will probably continue to be a thing. I got them some slow dried crickets for reptilians in a local pet shop. I'm thinking of soaking them in water and then offering them to the ants. We'll see if they'll like it.

I caught some flies and some tangerine worms and they were happily accepted. In the photo you can see the little chubby, burping infants.

IMG 20201203 095913

Some workers tending to a sister pupa.. a little too enthusiastic, don't you think? The pupa looks too pale to be ready to enclose. Well, hopefully all is well and they are not devouring it haha.

IMG 20201203 095930

• AnthonyP163, Fatatoille, Wegmier and 1 other like this

#36 Offline skocko76 - Posted December 3 2020 - 7:45 AM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
Not to jinx it, but I think the pupa got chewed to white dust bits... I know there were two pupae, but I cannot spot them. I might be wrong... Perhaps the pupae died due to bad timing (winter)? I wonder if any workers will enclose over winter, or if only larvae will get amassed.

#37 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 3 2020 - 7:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

that is an amazing colony! i love the look of aphaenogaster pupa! i have a colony of rudis i need to take more care of this spring.

• skocko76 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#38 Offline Lamarr - Posted December 6 2020 - 2:29 AM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

I'm loving the progress of this colony! Nice journal!

• skocko76 likes this

#39 Offline skocko76 - Posted December 7 2020 - 2:44 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia

So far, I haven't really bothered with providing them with sweet liquids. My initial attempts were ignored, so I guess I neglected it for a while.

I did put in a honey-water feeder today, and they actually went out to forage in group. I rarely observed more than one worker in the outworld, if that.

There are four of them at the feeder right now. Some drinking, some sticking trash onto it.

Just goes to say that if a species does not like sweets, it doesn't mean they shouldn't get it every once in a while. 

I've had a similar experience with Messors before.

IMG 20201207 233310
IMG 20201207 233244

• ANTdrew and mantisgal like this

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 7 2020 - 5:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I like that older design of the byFormica feeders better than the new ones.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal, aphaenogaster, epirotes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users