• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request 4-6-20

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 6 2020 - 10:54 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

The 2nd one could be a color variation of Tetramorium Immigrans...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#22 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 11:48 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

...and I have more ants to ID. Looks like a ponerine this time. 3 mm long, orangeish legs, blackish body. Maybe Hypoponera or Ponera? Sorry that the pictures aren't too good.

plSsSnEJygcxJQPE37yXpuIxfnm_zZkzLHD04__Vjv9Rx9Jgojty9GqIcU1jWtWkaX35cB8UveubgUWoi6PV3m1k6bb8AuUZR8OWKHNLJCTcq9sP9LHjTvFn

5r2iVg8roZFvqwkcnW2HlrtggDvPCGWe9IUZuNat

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 6 2020 - 11:48 AM.

#23 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 6 2020 - 11:50 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hypoponera or ponera.

#24 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 12:07 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Did some more research. Antmaps.org doesn't list any Hypoponera in NY, so I'll go with Ponera on this one.

#25 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 12:15 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I think Ponera is correct

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#26 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 12:23 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

If it's Ponera, it's probably P. pennsylvanica. No other ponerines up here besides P. pennsylvanica.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 6 2020 - 12:23 PM.

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

#27 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 12:25 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Is there any info on P. pennsylvanica flights?

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 12:44 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Here they fly around the same time as Lasius neoniger. They don't really congregate, but they do land in random places. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#29 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:27 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Two millimeters is quite small for parasitic Lasius.

I was snooping around my backyard and found a Lasius colony who's workers looked like the ones in the picture, but were maybe a full millimeter longer. I couldn't get any pictures, but could they be parasitic? I didn't see any signs of host workers. I'll check again tomorrow, and hopefully will get some pictures.

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 4:33 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Two millimeters is quite small for parasitic Lasius.

I was snooping around my backyard and found a Lasius colony who's workers looked like the ones in the picture, but were maybe a full millimeter longer. I couldn't get any pictures, but could they be parasitic? I didn't see any signs of host workers. I'll check again tomorrow, and hopefully will get some pictures.
Mature parasitic colonies do not have host workers.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#31 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 5:08 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

That'd explain a lot. There were quite a number of workers under that rock.

#32 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 28 2020 - 5:31 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

The tetramorium usually just battle each other, and ignore other colonies. they have a sort of agreement with a formica colony that is maybe 8 feet away. The tetramorium colony could easily overcome it, but it does not. Tetramorium is very mysterious.

This is remarkably true. There are two Tetramorium colonies in my back yard that go to war every year. In fact, they were duking it out only a few weeks ago (they seemed to calm down when the weather got cold, though). I'm starting to realize just how much Tetramorium there is in my backyard.

• AntsDakota likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users