• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID Request 4-6-20

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:14 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Some sort of Formica, I know.

gN3GeDcZvapEw_0MPQdFcgrzpWX1AFbLnzr4F_fe

nVE43JYnUYVAx3ubBy1jtSzx8KTrZ9eegCOZbMfX

Maybe Tetramorium? It's about 3 mm long, orangeish legs, black body, pretty big head compared to its gaster, propodeal spine/s. Myrmicine.

lo0CyYi1n5QR8Q7_DxXc5A79ooh3knbY78djRDhS

Kzshe4I_3qXVrZtwW3n7EINBLfxAQk__9weK7SQk

ea-uiRavkpSznuLjSa8agm8c37kReZ0BnmX67AAy

Maybe some kind of Lasius? Bright orange all around  (gaster almost transluscent). Found nesting under moss. Around 2 mm long.

MS02Q2K1Kjclf4_bq7ooHrehr-qSJdNNPWeF8WY7

45fbE3tS_l1WSJH3DdwISfSMf91d6apy3K_Ikhie

8XAEW0FRmHu6jeJGT4BZEMpebl774HKEXog3Dbk5

If you could ID these down the species, that'd be great.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 6 2020 - 9:30 AM.

#2 Offline Nare - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:23 AM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

None of these pictures are showing up for me, but you'll also want to follow the format pinned at the top of the ID section. That'll make identifying your ants a lot easier.

#3 Offline Broncos - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:24 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Yea same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:27 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Working on redoing the pictures...

Can you see them now? Working on the proper format.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 6 2020 - 9:31 AM.

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The first one could possible be pallidefulva, the third looks like some sort of Lasius parasite.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:33 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

That was my guess too about the Lasius. These were taken in New York, by the way.

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:39 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Actually, you can't rule out Lasius nearcticus or Lasius brevicornis. Two millimeters is quite small for parasitic Lasius.The first one is in the pallidefulva group, not sure which species though. The second one is most certainly Tetramorium immigrans.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

brevicornis and nearcticus are more yellowish in coloration, though. Could the measurement be off by a mm?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:44 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Thanks. I had a feeling they'd be tetramorium. They're kind of invasive, right?

Actually, you can't rule out Lasius nearcticus or Lasius brevicornis. Two millimeters is quite small for parasitic Lasius.The first one is in the pallidefulva group, not sure which species though. The second one is most certainly Tetramorium immigrans.

Thanks. I had a feeling they'd be Tetramorium. They're kind of invasive, right?

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, April 6 2020 - 9:45 AM.

#10 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:46 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

brevicornis and nearcticus are more yellowish in coloration, though. Could the measurement be off by a mm?

I'll remeasure.

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

They're very invasive. Not as destructive as Solenopsis invicta, but they still cause some damage to the local ecosystems. Fortunately, most of our wildlife is untouched, but Ants_Dakota lives in an area where Tetramorium are prevalent, and I can't say I've seen as much diversity there.......... just Tetramorium and the occasional Formica and Lasius, the only species they can't fully drive out. Fortunately, this only occurs in small areas, and Formica and Lasius still rule.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:49 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

The tetramorium usually just battle each other, and ignore other colonies. they have a sort of agreement with a formica colony that is maybe 8 feet away. The tetramorium colony could easily overcome it, but it does not. Tetramorium is very mysterious.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:50 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Undoubtedly 2 mm, maybe a 10th of a mm or so less.

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:51 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Also, on the topic of mysterious, has anyone ever seen a lasius claviger colony inside of a tetramorium? Both of the species were not fighting each other, and the lasius claviger had queens that were about to swarm. Unfortunately, i deleted the pics, though. :(

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#15 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:52 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

The Formica is either F. pallidefulva or biophilica.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#16 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 9:54 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I noticed that other Formica workers had a slightly darker mesosoma, but other than that looked like all the others. I don't have pics, but could this be an age thing?

#17 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 6 2020 - 10:03 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I noticed that other Formica workers had a slightly darker mesosoma, but other than that looked like all the others. I don't have pics, but could this be an age thing?

Northern variants of Formica pallidefulva group species tend to be darker. Mine here in Tennessee are almost a pure yellow, with orange queens.

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 10:18 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

The tetramorium usually just battle each other, and ignore other colonies. they have a sort of agreement with a formica colony that is maybe 8 feet away. The tetramorium colony could easily overcome it, but it does not. Tetramorium is very mysterious.

I’m saying there are no other ants besides the three aforementioned genera, while there should be. I’ve found Myrmica, Dolichoderus, Dorymyrmex, Leptothorax, Brachymyrmex, etc. in my yard. I can tell you right now that none of these ants would be there if Tetramorium were prevalent. They would most likely exist in your yard as well if it weren’t for Tetramorium.
  • TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#19 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted April 6 2020 - 10:23 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

That second Formica picture is probably the best photo i've ever taken.

• AntsDakota likes this

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 6 2020 - 10:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’ve never taken a picture that good, lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users