• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What are your antkeeping goals for the 2020 season?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
As the snow starts to melt and spring finally comes for us up north, I now wanted to make a thread for antkeeping goals of the 2020 season. This includes things like wanting to catch or sucessfully raise a certain species, growing a colony etc.

I will start:

My antkeeping goals for 2020 are to sucessfully capture and raise polyergus mexicanus, a common species in my area. I also want to do more shipments and sell more ants to people.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#2 Offline Cblake113 - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:21 PM

Cblake113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVirginia
My goals for 2020 is to find and identify ant species and successfully teach what I have learned and will learn to the public. I would also like to make a formicarium and successfully keep and raise camponotus spp.
  • ANTdrew, AntJohnny, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I already met my goal lol. I got Nievamyrmex nigrescens.

• FSTP, AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#4 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:35 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

lol

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:53 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I plan to make a general collection this year. I would hope for it to include- (in order of capture)

Prenolepis imparis 

Lasius aphidicola/claviger/subumbratus/interjectus/etc.

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus novaeboracensis

Camponotus nearcticus

Tetramorium immigrans/tsushimae

Formica sp.

Pheidole bicarinata

Dorymyrmex insanus

Lasius brevicornis

Lasius americanus

Lasius neoniger

Solenoposis moleseta

Brachymyrmex depilis

Ponera pennsylvanica

Leptothorax sp.

Myrmica sp.

Found consistently almost every year, am fully confident I can find them this year.

Found once or twice, hoping to find them again this year.

Never seen before in my life, yet are native/have been reported by other local members, hoping to find this year.

Edited by AntsDakota, April 3 2020 - 12:53 PM.

• Ants4fun and Somethinghmm like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:54 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Sadly, this is the end of the line for me for the next 2 years. I will be serving as a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint missionary and will be transported somewhere in the world to share the gospel and serve people. I will be unable to keep any ants during this time period so I've been preparing and selling what I've got now. Now I'm just waiting for my call, which has temporarily been postponed due to the COVID-19. I'm going to be unable to get on Formiculture.com during my service as well. I'm really going to miss you guys here! I hope most of you will still be here when I get back!!

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#7 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 12:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have my goal species on my profile, and that's very unfortunate Venomous. You were one of the better ant keepers I have known and I wish you the best for the two years I won't be able to talk to you...

• VenomousBeast likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#8 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:01 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I have my goal species on my profile, and that's very unfortunate Venomous. You were one of the better ant keepers I have known and I wish you the best for the two years I won't be able to talk to you...

Thank you! I still think I'm very inexperienced but I'll be able to work on that when I get back ;)  But at least for the next few months I'll still be here to talk and chat! I will be able to talk via Facebook and email on my mission so if you'd like my email or Facebook you can pm me for it!

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

Keeps:

#9 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:06 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I will take up that offer, and when you get back, I will make it a mission to make you an amazing ant keeper. After all, you would have helped many people alike, so I feel I should do the same to you in return. :)

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:08 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Sadly, this is the end of the line for me for the next 2 years. I will be serving as a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint missionary and will be transported somewhere in the world to share the gospel and serve people.

What a noble cause! But don't feel bad over your colonies. You'll come back. Perhaps these will encourage you: 

Luke 2:20 NIV - The shepherds returned, glorifying and - Bible Gateway

Isaiah 55:12 NIV - You will go out in joy and be led forth - Bible Gateway

Acts 1:8 - Bible Gateway

Matthew 6:19-21 NIV - Treasures in Heaven - “Do not store - Bible Gateway

• FeedTheAnts, VenomousBeast, ANTdrew and 3 others like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:16 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I'm a little disappointed over the release of my Stigmatomma pallipes "supercolony" because as far as I know, I was the only one with one. (I released them in my backyard in hopes that when I come back they'll still be there) I know what I'm doing is worthwhile to me and it may be hard to give away my ants now, I know that when I get back I'll be able to find them and MANY more! (Plus I'll be in another country or state for a while so I'll be able to see new ant species! I just won't be able to keep them, but that won't stop me from taking pictures!)

• AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

Keeps:

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:17 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm sure you could've asked a trusted friend or caretaker to take care of them, but I could also see why not

Losing a colony is hard let alone several. I was like a sick puppy after I lost my first (I released them)

#13 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:19 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

I mean, I could have, but no offence to anyone near me (You guys really are GREAT keepers!!) but nature really is the best ant keeper out there! ;)

• AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

Keeps:

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I'm a little disappointed over the release of my Stigmatomma pallipes "supercolony" because as far as I know, I was the only one with one. (I released them in my backyard in hopes that when I come back they'll still be there) I know what I'm doing is worthwhile to me and it may be hard to give away my ants now, I know that when I get back I'll be able to find them and MANY more! (Plus I'll be in another country or state for a while so I'll be able to see new ant species! I just won't be able to keep them, but that won't stop me from taking pictures!)

Mark 10:21 NIV - Jesus looked at him and loved him. - Bible Gateway

#15 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 1:19 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I concur

• VenomousBeast and Ants_Dakota like this

#16 Offline Whitelotus - Posted April 3 2020 - 10:46 PM

Whitelotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California

For my 2020 goals, I hope to capture and raise a Tetramorium colony once more after the death of my last colony, get my Formica Queen up and running after hibernation, and hopefully acquire a Lasius queen for the first time.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#17 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 4 2020 - 7:00 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I want to get a large Camponotus species, as well as parasitic Lasius.
  • AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#18 Offline Canadant - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:50 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
This year:

1. Grow my colonies in a better fashion with more varied diet and heat cable (ie. Flightless fruit flies, roaches and bloodworms).

2. Get out there everyday (just like last year)

3. Attempt and succeed with parasitic lasius subumbratus (unsuccessful last year).

4. Brood boost a lasius sp.

5. Perhaps order some pogonomyrmex Occidentalis.

6. Build a larger outworld.

7. Start a journal (its started in the journal thread!!)

8. See if I can set some ant traps like placing a large flat rock on the ground and capturing a queen/colony that way.

PS. Venomousbeast good luck and take care!
  • VenomousBeast and AntsDakota like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#19 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:56 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

My goal is to own as many formica of as many varieties as possible, as i want to become an expert on formica.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#20 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 4 2020 - 12:53 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

My goal is to

1. Raise my Tetramorium and Crematogaster to at least 100 workers

2. Make a successful homemade culture of D. Hydei

3. Set up one of my small Camponotous in a THA mini hearth

4. Continue my youtube channel, I took a break to better care for my ants, and because of diapause

5. Sell some of my Camponotus

6. Get my formica and lasius going

7. Get my A. rudis going

Edited by Temperateants, April 4 2020 - 12:53 PM.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users