• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Neivamyrmex Journal (I've Done it Again...)

neivamyrmex nigrescens antdude feroxformicae ant journal neivamyrmex nigrescens army ant ferox_formicae ant_dude2908

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 10 2020 - 6:22 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have an army ant meme that Ant_Dude has seen, and I don't know if I should post it, or let it be...

• TennesseeAnts and Ferox_Formicae like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#42 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 12 2020 - 5:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Update: 4/12/20

And so it begins...

The queen has laid a massive pile of eggs, and I can't even count how many there are. She is almost completely immobile, as she has turned into a big egg laying balloon. We will up food intake these next few weeks, as the growing brood is going to need a ton of food. Once the eggs hatch they will begin to take insects as well as the normal ant brood.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, April 12 2020 - 5:52 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, Ferox_Formicae, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this

#43 Offline AntsExodus - Posted April 12 2020 - 7:12 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

around how may eggs do you think she laid?

also can i see pics of there setup?

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#44 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted April 12 2020 - 8:02 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Hehe, I like that song...

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#45 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 12 2020 - 9:52 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

around how may eggs do you think she laid?also can i see pics of there setup?

Absolutely no clue! Soon as she lays a batch they hide the eggs in the bivoac.

#46 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 13 2020 - 6:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
If only the bivoac was up against the glass............

Edited by AntsDakota, April 13 2020 - 6:17 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#47 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 13 2020 - 7:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Oh, last night they did end up taking the rest of the Linepithema brood, an adult earwig and a Camponotus pennsylvanicus alate.

• AntsDakota likes this

#48 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 20 2020 - 5:40 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 4/20/20

More Eggs!

The queen seems to be slimming down, meaning she is still laying eggs, just not producing any more at the moment. They are up to about 1k eggs now, and I gave them 120 or so termites to feast on today. Once those larvae start hatching in the next week or so, we should see a huge surge in foraging activity. I have more petri dishes on the way to make more lab style nests for them to migrate to once the brood rearing stage is over.

• AntsDakota and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#49 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 20 2020 - 5:42 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, and I thought your Formica Pacifica queen laying was impressive. Lol

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#50 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 20 2020 - 6:05 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Having a few mature termite colonies would be helpful, I’m assuming.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#51 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 20 2020 - 6:07 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Not when your entire area is overrun by Reticulitermes flavipes… I could go out for 15 mins and collect a little over 300 with my aspirator if I needed to.

• AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and AntsExodus like this

#52 Offline AntsExodus - Posted April 21 2020 - 7:21 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Me too! My backyard is a forest and I go outside for 5 min and I have a bucket filled with termites!

The aspirator is definitely a life saving tool.

#53 Offline Nare - Posted April 22 2020 - 1:24 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Not when your entire area is overrun by Reticulitermes flavipes… I could go out for 15 mins and collect a little over 300 with my aspirator if I needed to.

:o  :ugone2far:

• TennesseeAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#54 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 22 2020 - 1:35 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I don't believe I've actually even seen a live termite in my life.  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts, AntsBC, AntsExodus and 2 others like this

#55 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 23 2020 - 12:37 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

More Eggs!

The queen seems to be slimming down, meaning she is still laying eggs, just not producing any more at the moment. They are up to about 1k eggs now, and I gave them 120 or so termites to feast on today. Once those larvae start hatching in the next week or so, we should see a huge surge in foraging activity. I have more petri dishes on the way to make more lab style nests for them to migrate to once the brood rearing stage is over.

I just don't think there are that many eggs being laid. I think this is a grossly exaggerated number. Did you count each egg? Did you do a proper algorithm using a computer machine? Yes yes army ants do lay eggs, but its only a couple hundred or few hundred at most. Its just not possible they lay that many eggs that fast.

#56 Offline ponerinecat - Posted April 23 2020 - 12:43 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

More Eggs!

I just don't think there are that many eggs being laid. I think this is a grossly exaggerated number. Did you count each egg? Did you do a proper algorithm using a computer machine? Yes yes army ants do lay eggs, but its only a couple hundred or few hundred at most. Its just not possible they lay that many eggs that fast.

While I do agree, check out the photos in Purdues past journal. They lay a lot.

#57 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 23 2020 - 12:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I think he was making a joke :lol:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#58 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 23 2020 - 2:57 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

More Eggs!

Ah. Yes my mistake. I'll break out the Egg-Counter9000.
  • OiledOlives likes this

#59 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 23 2020 - 3:54 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Off his meds I think.

#60 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 23 2020 - 5:12 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Off his meds I think.

Didn't you post something similar in my thread? You must been off your meds as well. Explains a lot.

Also, you took the bait. I was hoping you'd respond, because its now obvious you were just trolling my thread. You got hooked. Also you are a fraud anyway, someone who truly cares about nature and wildlife and keeping invasives away wouldn't go somewhere and go "hmm, we can save all these native animals. But they might get a virus, we should kill them all instead". You are nothing but a conartist to the nature world.

Edited by Vendayn, April 23 2020 - 5:23 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neivamyrmex nigrescens, antdude, feroxformicae, ant, journal, neivamyrmex, nigrescens, army ant, ferox_formicae, ant_dude2908

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users