• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nare's Simple Termite Farm Guide

termite termites reticulitermes zootermopsis farm setup termitarium

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Nare - Posted April 9 2020 - 1:48 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

And is there anywhere I could get nymphs from?

Reticulitermes can develop ergatoid reproductives, ergatoid meaning worker-like. These develop from normal workers. You can check out more accurate life cycle diagrams on the termite links page in my signature.

• AntsDakota likes this

#22 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

And is there anywhere I could get nymphs from?

Reticulitermes can develop ergatoid reproductives, ergatoid meaning worker-like. These develop from normal workers. You can check out more accurate life cycle diagrams on the termite links page in my signature.

Ok, that makes more sense. Can these have multiple ergatoid reproductives (of each sex, of course).

• Nare likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:11 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Wait- then those third form reproductives would lay eggs, which would develop into nymphs, and those nymphs could develop into primary reproductives? Am I correct?

• Nare likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline Nare - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:14 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Wait- then those third form reproductives would lay eggs, which would develop into nymphs, and those nymphs could develop into primary reproductives? Am I correct?

A colony can have multiple secondary and tertiary reproductives, yes. If you grow the colony large enough, it will likely produce primary reproductives, but these don't usually mate in the nest. You'd have to remove them and pair them up manually. It's possible you'll get secondary reproductives though, which are essentially the same as primaries but without ever having wings / dark pigment.

• AntsDakota likes this

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:20 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

A colony can have multiple secondary and tertiary reproductives, yes. If you grow the colony large enough, it will likely produce primary reproductives, but these don't usually mate in the nest. You'd have to remove them and pair them up manually. It's possible you'll get secondary reproductives though, which are essentially the same as primaries but without ever having wings / dark pigment.

And if I paired them up and kept them apart for a couple weeks and let them mate, would the colony accept them back? It's fine if they don't, I was just wondering. (p.s.- I like the diversity of the termite reproductive castes; I wish ants had 'sub-gynes', so to speak.  :) )

• Nare likes this

#26 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 9 2020 - 2:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I found it funny that the same website that said that these can't reproduce also said some culture include nymphs, which could molt directly into primary reproductives. This, to me, says they don't know completely what they're talking about.  :lol:

#27 Offline Nare - Posted April 9 2020 - 4:03 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

And if I paired them up and kept them apart for a couple weeks and let them mate, would the colony accept them back? It's fine if they don't, I was just wondering. (p.s.- I like the diversity of the termite reproductive castes; I wish ants had 'sub-gynes', so to speak.  :) )

I'm not sure they'd accept them back. Maybe in some of the inbred populations up here, but likely not in your colony. I think some species of ants have ergatoid queens, but ants certainly aren't as flexible as termites in their reproductive castes. That's mainly cause termites molt, whereas once an ant ecloses, it's done.

I found it funny that the same website that said that these can't reproduce also said some culture include nymphs, which could molt directly into primary reproductives. This, to me, says they don't know completely what they're talking about.  :lol:

Could be. These supply companies offer hundreds or thousands of products, so it's understandable perhaps that they aren't experts on every single product.

• AntsDakota likes this

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 10 2020 - 6:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful. And now, I just have a couple more questions, and I'll be done:

1. How fast do colonies themselves grow?

2. How long does the life cycle take

a. from egg to worker

b. from egg to soldier

c. from egg to reproductive?

3. Do termites require hibernation?

Thanks.

#29 Offline Nare - Posted April 22 2020 - 1:23 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Thanks for all the info. It's very helpful. And now, I just have a couple more questions, and I'll be done:

1. How fast do colonies themselves grow?

2. How long does the life cycle take

a. from egg to worker

b. from egg to soldier

c. from egg to reproductive?

3. Do termites require hibernation?

Thanks.

1. Takes ages from a founding pair, but a colony splinter should grow decently fast. Growth really depends on how much wood and space you give them.
2. a. about a month or two in my experience with a founding pair. Likely faster with a colony segment, but I haven't been able to consistently observe development in a colony fragment.

b. a soldier is only 2 or 3 molts farther along from a worker, but only about 1% of the colony will be soldiers. A worker can likely molt into a soldier pretty fast, but this will only happen once the number of soldiers passes below a critical threshold and the colony determines that more soldiers are needed.

c. depends on the reproductive, I'd say 2 or 3 months is a fair estimate. You can follow the progress of some colony fragments in my journal, especially in the earlier part.

3. No hibernation needed, although they may take a break from laying eggs during the winter. This likely depends on where the termites are from, however.

Hope that helps.

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

#30 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 22 2020 - 1:33 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Just a note, Ant_Dude sells rets I believe

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#31 Online ANTdrew - Posted April 30 2020 - 1:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nare, I have an empty Sabra hummus container that I’d like to try to fashion into a poor man’s Termitat. https://sabra.com
I will fill most of it with hydrostone leaving a thin open space I’ll fill with soil and wood. I’ll also make hydration and ventilation holes. Do you foresee any problems with this idea? Could the Reticulitermes chew through such thin plastic?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#32 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 30 2020 - 1:34 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Nare, I have an empty Sabra hummus container that I’d like to try to fashion into a poor man’s Termitat. https://sabra.com
I will fill most of it with hydrostone leaving a thin open space I’ll fill with soil and wood. I’ll also make hydration and ventilation holes. Do you foresee any problems with this idea? Could the Reticulitermes chew through such thin plastic?

They would probably chew through that plastic.

#33 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 13 2020 - 7:21 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Here's my twist on this concept using an empty Sabra hummus container:

I poked micro-holes in the lid with a thin needle and made a hydration hole that I plugged with a rubber stopper. I think I'll hydrate from the bottom, but let me know if hydrating from the top is better.

I filled the main part of the container with a mix of hydrostone and perlite:

There is about a 1/4 inch gap between the top lid and the hydrostone bottom. Should I go for a thinner gap to increase visibility? I fill this with a slice of wood surrounded by some soil.

I will prop the set up upright on a picture frame stand. What do you think?

• Nare likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#34 Offline Nare - Posted May 16 2020 - 2:15 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Here's my twist on this concept using an empty Sabra hummus container:

I poked micro-holes in the lid with a thin needle and made a hydration hole that I plugged with a rubber stopper. I think I'll hydrate from the bottom, but let me know if hydrating from the top is better.

I filled the main part of the container with a mix of hydrostone and perlite:

There is about a 1/4 inch gap between the top lid and the hydrostone bottom. Should I go for a thinner gap to increase visibility? I fill this with a slice of wood surrounded by some soil.

I will prop the set up upright on a picture frame stand. What do you think?

1/4 inch should be fine, you'll likely see lots of termites depending on how many you add. Hydration should be fine, I don't think they'll try to escape through those holes. They certainly don't try to escape in through the gap in my dish. Interested to see how it goes - keep us updated.

#35 Online ANTdrew - Posted May 16 2020 - 3:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I caught two alates today, and they quickly shed wings and coupled up. I put them in a test tube with sand and rotten wood.
  • VenomousBeast likes this

#36 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 16 2020 - 3:33 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I caught two alates today, and they quickly shed wings and coupled up. I put them in a test tube with sand and rotten wood.

I caught some today too, but mostly just fed them to my ants.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#37 Offline mmcguffi - Posted November 8 2020 - 4:12 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Any chance you can fix the pics in this @Nare? :) 

• TennesseeAnts and OhNoNotAgain like this

#38 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted November 9 2020 - 4:55 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Nare disappeared a while ago.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#39 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 9 2020 - 12:14 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

sadly :(

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#40 Offline mmcguffi - Posted November 9 2020 - 3:13 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I mean, they haven't posted on a forum in 3 months, I would hardly call that disappearing  :lol:

FYI if you google image search "Terminareum" the images were cached by google -- good SEO foresight by @ANTdrew haha

Edited by mmcguffi, November 9 2020 - 3:28 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: termite, termites, reticulitermes, zootermopsis, farm, setup, termitarium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users