• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What does odontomachus monticola eat for carb?

odontomachus monticola

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 24 2020 - 7:11 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have a colony of 6 odontomachus monticola. I have provided them with sugar grains, sugar water, honey, honey water, apple, and nectar. I have never seen them touch it. Maybe I have just missed it because they rarely leave the chamber but I have set up a camera with a time-lapse of 10 hours and didn't see them touch it. So they have been on a protein only diet for two weeks and seem just fine. Thanks for any help

Edited by aznphenom, March 24 2020 - 7:11 AM.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 24 2020 - 10:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I think Odontomachus are more carnivorous. They have been known to eat carbs before, yet I would try feeding them some insects.
  • aznphenom likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline aznphenom - Posted March 24 2020 - 10:38 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I think Odontomachus are more carnivorous. They have been known to eat carbs before, yet I would try feeding them some insects.

I didn't know there are ant species that only eat protein diet only. that's good. I was afraid they were dying a slow death from being deprived from carb because one user on discord said his monticola love apples.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#4 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted March 24 2020 - 11:43 AM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

I didn't know there are ant species that only eat protein diet only. that's good. I was afraid they were dying a slow death from being deprived from carb because one user on discord said his monticola love apples.

It's not just a protein diet, they eat carbs too, All ants need both. without both an ant colony will die. just because they aren't accepting your offer doesn't mean they are carnivores.

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 24 2020 - 3:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I meant preferring insects, not completely carnivorous. They definitely need some carbs as well.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline Superant33 - Posted March 25 2020 - 7:28 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Nooooo. Most Odontomachus species feed on prey exclusively. Remove all the plant material. Feed them fruit flies, termites, and other soft bodied insects. Cut up mealworms and cricket pierces as well. Add substrate and springtails to their formicaria. I always offer my Odontomachus carbohydrates (sugar water solution, fruit juice, Sunburst). They have never consumed any. I have been keeping ants for 40 plus years. Add the insect prey now.
  • Canadant and aznphenom like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: odontomachus monticola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users