• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex misidentification?!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 3:51 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I recently received two P. occidentalis queens from UtahAntShop. Yet today when I was feeding them I observed that one queen was slightly larger than the other. Could she be a larger species such as P. barbatus?

Title

Location of Collection: unspecified location in the southwestern U.S.

Current Date: 3/7/2020

Body

Location of Collection: Unspecified location in the southwestern U.S.

Date of Collection: Date of collection unknown.

Habitat of collection: Habitat of collection unknown.

Length: 9 millimeters.

Coloration: Mostly red; semi-translucent bright orange strip a mm or so from the tip of the gaster; black wing scars; mandibles and area of head almost up to eyes is black.

Distinguishing characteristics: mandibles and head are slightly larger than that of the smaller queen; gaster is noticeably larger than that of the smaller queen.

Anything else distinctive: N/A

Nest description: Nest description is unavailable. 

Nuptial flight time and date: Nuptial flight time and date is unknown.

Photos: I apologize for the poor quality of these photos. They were the best I could do through the glare, condensation, and iPad camera.

Note: The queen on the right is the larger queen which I am attempting to identify.

Y11fa9V.jpg

6j7NUuf.jpg

J1VgS29.jpg

nQZYJrn.jpg

Edited by AntsDakota, March 7 2020 - 3:51 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 7 2020 - 3:54 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Size is extremely variable. Bigger or smaller does not mean different species. We really can't tell without better pics, but I'm pretty sure that's occi.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 3:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Alright, thanks. I'm probably just being paranoid.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 7 2020 - 4:06 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I wouldn't sweat it, but at the same time there is no guarantee they know what they are talking about.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 4:46 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Isn't that a lot of seeds? I feel like they might be crowded.(sometimes i feel like i should stop commenting on species i have never kept, as i am probably wrong in this case :D)

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
They seem fine with it. The larger queen drug all the seeds into a nest little pile close to the cotton.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:55 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I wouldn't sweat it, but at the same time there is no guarantee they know what they are talking about.

Yeah, that’s what I thought at first too.

#8 Offline jcisopodgang - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:00 AM

jcisopodgang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDenver Area, Colorado

I know this topic is old but starting ur Pogonomyrmex in bare test tubes isn't the best idea, they have a huge trouble with climbing glass so providing sand or dirt is better, they thrive in dirt setups naturally.

irl catboy

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I actually had a layer of substrate at the bottom of the tube.

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 30 2020 - 8:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
And these queens were killed by the Aspergillus fungus, so it wouldn’t really matter now..........

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 30 2020 - 2:56 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
If the first mandibular tooth is pointing upward towards the clypeus, it's occidentalis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users