• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Melb. Australia 6/March/2020 Queens

australia identification

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gemPietra - Posted March 5 2020 - 11:22 PM

gemPietra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Hi! I've found what I hope are two queens.

Found them both in Melbourne General Cemetery after a day of rain, currently the end of summer so around 20°C (68°F). Both have a brown reflective gaster which I tried to get pictures of. I've got more images in my gallery if these aren't helpful. 

Queen1-

Queen1-3
Queen1-2
Queen1-4
Queen2-
Queen2-1
Queen2-3

Edited by gemPietra, March 5 2020 - 11:29 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 6 2020 - 4:32 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Both queens are the same species, some sort of Iridomyrmex.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 6 2020 - 9:44 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Iridomyrmex bicknelli.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 6 2020 - 9:52 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Iridomyrmex bicknelli.

I don't believe there is any way to determine species from these images alone. We'd might as well just leave the ID at Iridomyrmex sp. Let me know it I'm wrong though, and if there is a way to distinguish this ant as I. bicknelli.

• TennesseeAnts and CheetoLord02 like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 6 2020 - 9:56 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I would go with Iridomyrmex bicknelli, just because that seems to be the most prominent Iriodomyrmex sp, but I agree with Ferox on this one. We will need some close ups of the head, thorax and abdomen for a sure ID.

#6 Offline Martialis - Posted March 6 2020 - 10:00 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
I need to make it my signature at this point. You can’t tell species without very clear photos or a very significant lack of species diversity. (Only one or two very disparate species in a genus native to an area)

But I agree with Iridomyrmex.
  • AnthonyP163, Ferox_Formicae and ANTdrew like this
Spoiler

#7 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 6 2020 - 10:20 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I need to make it my signature at this point. You can’t tell species without very clear photos or a very significant lack of species diversity. (Only one or two very disparate species in a genus native to an area)

There are a few species in certain areas you can get to species, even from photos with pretty bad quality, so this doesn't fit for all ants.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted March 6 2020 - 11:52 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

There are a few species in certain areas you can get to species, even from photos with pretty bad quality, so this doesn't fit for all ants.

Did you read the latter part of my post?

Spoiler

#9 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted March 6 2020 - 11:56 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Did you read the latter part of my post?

Yes, I did, but you didn't mention the fact that certain species with high diversity in an area can be identified reliably to species, even with poor quality images. Some examples of this are Camponotus castaneus from North America, Camponotus fulvopilosus from southern Africa, Cephalotes umbraculatus from Central and South America, and many, many more. But yeah, this is not one of those cases. I'd only feel comfortable leaving this ant at Iridomyrmex sp.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#10 Offline Martialis - Posted March 6 2020 - 12:22 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

There are obvious exceptions to anything. 

I said genus because, as a rule, this is the case. It wasn't meant to be totally comprehensive.

Even so, C. castaenus and C. umbraculatus aren't effective counterexamples here. They both are sole members of a species group or clade within their genera in a given area.  

As for Camponotus flvopilosus, an entire closely-related species complex exists around it.  Though C. fulvopilosus's range extends farthest north, it definitely is not accurate to say it is "distinct" from other species throughout Southern Africa. I wouldn't be surprised if some of its more Northern territory has several (undescribed) "local" yet closely related species.

Edited by Martialis, March 6 2020 - 12:53 PM.

Spoiler

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 6 2020 - 1:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Narrowing any insect down to genus puts one light years ahead of the general public, and knowing genus is basically all the hobby ant keeper needs to figure out basic care.
  • Martialis, CheetoLord02 and Antennal_Scrobe like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 6 2020 - 4:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Narrowing any insect down to genus puts one light years ahead of the general public, and knowing genus is basically all the hobby ant keeper needs to figure out basic care.

For the most part yes. But it is pretty cool to say "It's definitely this type" rather than "I think it's one of these few types"

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 6 2020 - 4:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Most people can’t even tell different subfamilies apart.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 6 2020 - 5:01 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Most people can’t even tell different subfamilies apart.

With a minimal amount of practice, its easy. Hardest ones are Formicinae and Dolichoderinae. 

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 6 2020 - 6:26 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Exactly. They just can’t see that for some reason.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#16 Offline gemPietra - Posted March 6 2020 - 7:36 PM

gemPietra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
Would it be appropriate to house them together? Are Iridomyrmex polygyne?

#17 Offline Martialis - Posted March 6 2020 - 10:56 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

It’s probably best to keep them separate.
Spoiler

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 7 2020 - 6:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I believe they are pleometrophic, meaning queens will cooperate during the founding stage and kill each other once nanitics arrive. So yes, you should keep them separate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: australia, identification

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users