• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Formica subsericea Journal - FormicaFarm Setup

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 23 2021 - 7:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I'm sure it's still mostly accurate, but that is from more than a century ago.

#162 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 23 2021 - 9:14 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I'm sure it's still mostly accurate, but that is from more than a century ago.

no one in the recent times has dedicated their live to formica, so that is all we have to rely on. if only some one will...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#163 Offline Canadant - Posted February 23 2021 - 10:14 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Lovin' this natural style formicarium. Do you keep it covered/sheathed?
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#164 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2021 - 10:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I actually decided not to cover it this time around because they freaked out more when I used to take off their cover. I think it's pretty shaded in their chambers as is, plus I really enjoy seeing the tunnels form. They are working around the clock!

• Canadant, TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#165 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 23 2021 - 12:03 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Kael, for a lot of Eastern F. fusca-group species color does actually seem to play a significant role in IDing them. I know, kinda opposite from most ants, but that's just the way it is, lol.

• ANTdrew likes this

#166 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 25 2021 - 5:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-25-2021

I'm really pleased with this setup so far. There is always something to watch, and the ants are living out their natural behaviors. Their digging continues around the clock and so do my daily soil vacuuming efforts. The springtails are really thriving and they seem to be living in peace with the ants. I see several of them down in their chambers at all times now. I'm really looking forward to when the eggs hatch, which may be next week at some point.

Here's a GIF of one of the workers expanding a new tunnel. :)

IMG 9216

• AnthonyP163, Scherme, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#167 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 25 2021 - 6:07 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Kael, for a lot of Eastern F. fusca-group species color does actually seem to play a significant role in IDing them. I know, kinda opposite from most ants, but that's just the way it is, lol.

I see. I should have remembered from when I was keying out my Formica as color seemed to play a role in their ID as well.

Update 2-25-2021

I'm really pleased with this setup so far. There is always something to watch, and the ants are living out their natural behaviors. Their digging continues around the clock and so do my daily soil vacuuming efforts. The springtails are really thriving and they seem to be living in peace with the ants. I see several of them down in their chambers at all times now. I'm really looking forward to when the eggs hatch, which may be next week at some point.

I'm going to have to do a natural set up sometime. It's just really satisfying to watch them dig.

Edited by Kaelwizard, February 25 2021 - 6:07 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#168 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 25 2021 - 6:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I highly recommend it. The setup cost me about $20 to make. In a typical formicarium, you can only observe feeding and brood care, but with a setup like this, you can see a whole new set of nest creation behaviors. You can also see the symbiosis with the clean-up crew springtails.
  • Scherme, TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#169 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 25 2021 - 7:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I see. I should have remembered from when I was keying out my Formica as color seemed to play a role in their ID as well.

Update 2-25-2021

I'm going to have to do a natural set up sometime. It's just really satisfying to watch them dig.

the whole reason i got into ants is because of spending hours watching them dig. i really want to see that happen more, so i will for sure try this in the future.

• Scherme, TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#170 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 25 2021 - 10:54 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I agree on the F. subsericea ID.

If it changes anything, the F. argentea queens I usually see are 13mm+

Edited by Canadian anter, February 25 2021 - 10:54 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#171 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted February 25 2021 - 11:51 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I agree on the F. subsericea ID.

If it changes anything, the F. argentea queens I usually see are 13mm+

I see positively identified subsericea reaching similar sizes, it amazes me how big they can. 

I too agree that this is likely subsericea, but unless we get microscopic photos, we can't completely rule out the possibility of argentea. Antdrew, I have a cheap USB microscope (cheap for microscopes, that is) that works wonderfully for these things. It's what I use to ID all of my ants, including incredibly small ones, and it comes with a decent software. They've stopped making them, but there's still a few being sold in some places. Here's the link.

Anyway, sorry to continue that and add more to the thread. I love the dirt setup and I've been following the journal for a while, good luck and may the colony explode this year!

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#172 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 4 2021 - 9:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-4-2021

Plot twist! It turns out that TennesseeAntDude's suspicions were right all along: these are NOT Formica argentea. I mailed him three dead workers this week in a padded envelope, and he was kind enough to key these out to be:

Formica subsericea :newrussian:

It's still an awesome colony, and they are doing really well with quite a few fat new larvae now. I expect a surge in population soon.

Attached Images

• med_gallery_2614_1972_136196.jpg
  • gallery_2614_1972_55151.jpg

Edited by ANTdrew, March 4 2021 - 9:08 AM.

• Scherme and TennesseeAnts like this

#173 Offline antsandmore - Posted March 4 2021 - 9:16 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Update 3-4-2021

Plot twist! It turns out that TennesseeAntDude's suspicions were right all along: these are NOT Formica argentea. I mailed him three dead workers this week in a padded envelope, and he was kind enough to key these out to be:

Formica subsericea :newrussian:

It's still an awesome colony, and they are doing really well with quite a few fat new larvae now. I expect a surge in population soon.

Still awesome of course!!! You probably feel way better knowing the true Identity of these ants.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#174 Offline Canadant - Posted March 5 2021 - 5:30 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
The face only a mother could love! Thanks to TennesseeAntDude - Such a cool community.
  • TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#175 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 5 2021 - 6:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-5-2021

This colony is getting close to a year old now. Things continue to go great in their FormicaFarm, and I'm not sure who likes it more, the ants or the springtails! Last night I gave the colony a chopped up mealworm I had flash boiled, and they had their biggest feeding response yet! The larvae down in their tunnels must be getting hungry.

IMG 9262

A bunch of workers came out to help haul off the worm segments. I never tire of watching them drag food down in their lair.
IMG 9272
IMG 9274
IMG 9276

The best news is that I spotted freshly spun cocoons down in their tunnels last night. They've only been on heat three weeks. :yahoo:

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#176 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 5 2021 - 7:10 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Congrats! Formica subsericea really do grow fast once they have an abundance of resources.

#177 Offline Canadant - Posted March 5 2021 - 7:34 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I'm really digging this natural set up! It just seems so.... well... natural. A busy ant is a happy ant. Love the gif. Such a good ant to view - great size.

#178 Offline tdlnx - Posted March 5 2021 - 11:05 AM

tdlnx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I’m going to be paying even more attention to this journal now that I’m going to be keeping the same species.

#179 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 11 2021 - 8:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-11-2021

It's pretty safe to say that this colony is thriving in their new FormicaFarm setup. Many pupae cocoons from the first batch of eggs are now visible in various spots throughout their tunnel network. Yesterday, I also spotted a new big clump of eggs. There are at least 20 in this mass, so when these eclose, the colony will be getting close to 80-90 workers. They should break 100 soon, hopefully! They are readily taking in protein now, and I am feeding them at least one mealworm, cricket, or wild caught earwig a day. They drag the food off in quick ninja stealth fashion, usually when I'm not watching.

IMG 9308

Really fun, spastic ants.

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#180 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 11 2021 - 8:19 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

wow that's a lot of eggs. My queen of that same spieces just started to lay more eggs. Yours grows faster then mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users