• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The House of the CrematoMasters

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Canadant - Posted May 19 2020 - 6:51 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Several of my crematogastor ants are much smaller than the other workers. It's very noticeable. They're kinda cute. I'm not sure why that is. My guess is that they're new yearly workers that had to develop through the winter and spring. Perhaps the queen I brood boosted was another species. Perhaps they're her newer ants and the other workers are still from the brood of the bunch that I gave to her. I'll see if I can get some pics.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 7:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Gaster is with an e, brother.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 19 2020 - 8:09 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Gaster is with an e, brother.

Well said, brother ANTdrew. 

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 12:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I went back to the area I saw the tiny Crematogasters today, but I didn’t see any. The interesting thing is that the bird crap was totally gone. I guess they licked their plate clean!
I’ll try to get photos another time; maybe they are more nocturnal.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#45 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 9 2022 - 9:35 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Welp, I decided to revive this since I'm keeping Cremas now (cerasi and pilosa). I aspire to become a CrematoMaster. I hope to someday expand my collection to include Cremas from all over the country. Getting those permits will be a hassle, but worth it. My cerasi colony is now my favorite colony due to their fast growth and constant activity. I'm sure the pilosa will be even more fun, being larger and presumably more aggressive than cerasi

But it in the meantime, can we not all agree that Crema callows are adorable:

IAyfJNF.jpg

• ANTdrew and madbiologist like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#46 Offline madbiologist - Posted August 10 2022 - 6:22 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Is now a good time to share that Crematogaster are my pc lock screen?  :lol: 

IMG_0752.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

#47 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 10 2022 - 6:55 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Recently caught myself a few different sp of crematogaster so I’m excited to give them a try.

• AntsDakota likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 10 2022 - 8:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Is now a good time to share that Crematogaster are my pc lock screen? :lol:
Love it!

IMG_0752.jpg

#49 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 10 2022 - 2:17 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Even though my colony has over 200 workers and hundreds and hundreds of brood, I still caught the queen caring for her eggs, though there are maybe 700. It's quite humbling that she would still care for her eggs even though she's constantly attended to and constantly pregnant. 

69WIH3v.jpg

Broob

3W9UNJo.jpg

Eggs, eggs, eggs...

q1lYG0j.jpg

Full view of the larger brood pile:

cA75WPV.jpg

• ANTdrew, madbiologist and ZTYguy like this

#50 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 11 2022 - 9:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Welp, I gave my colony a new outworld a couple days ago. Ig the last time I opened the outworld I left the lid slightly open by a non-noticeable miniscule amount. When I got home from work today there were Cremas beginning to make trails on the outworld lid.I nipped it in the bud, but now I know to always double check the lid  :kill:

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2022 - 3:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Been there, done that! Sounds like you need fluon to keep them away from the lid, though.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 22 2022 - 6:02 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Massive flight of Crematogaster today. Y’all can have your Myrmecocycstus. I’m set with these:

Attached Images

• A8652003-867D-4DBC-A5FE-9B854413B39A.jpeg

• AntsDakota likes this

#53 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 22 2022 - 7:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Massive flight of Crematogaster today. Y’all can have your Myrmecocycstus. I’m set with these:

cerasi or lineolata?

• ANTdrew likes this

#54 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 23 2022 - 1:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m fairly confident these are cerasi.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#55 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:31 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Reading through this thread makes it clear to me that Southeast Asian Crematogaster are much different. The ones we have here are arboreal ants that usually have symbiotic relationships with "ant plants". There are still ground dwelling Crematogaster, but they are very rare to find. Currently I have a single queen with a large batch of eggs. I find that they do well in long thin test-tubes. Hopefully my post will provide some form of new knowledge to anyone wondering about the Crematogaster here.

• ANTdrew likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#56 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Reading through this thread makes it clear to me that Southeast Asian Crematogaster are much different. The ones we have here are arboreal ants that usually have symbiotic relationships with "ant plants". There are still ground dwelling Crematogaster, but they are very rare to find. Currently I have a single queen with a large batch of eggs. I find that they do well in long thin test-tubes. Hopefully my post will provide some form of new knowledge to anyone wondering about the Crematogaster here.

They are the 7th largest genus in the world. There must be vast differences between species. Our temperate North American ones are extremely fast growing and prolific. I have a new queen starting off really well, so I’ll start chirping here a lot more.
  • ANTS_KL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users