• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The House of the CrematoMasters

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 27 2020 - 6:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Crematogaster are no back up, son!

Here they’re precious jems.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#22 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 28 2020 - 9:28 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

you mean gems?

• AntsDakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 28 2020 - 9:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yes. Gems.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 28 2020 - 9:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

(y)

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#25 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 28 2020 - 2:03 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I've never even seen a worker. Ants_Dakota just found an unmated queen, so they're around.  :)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#26 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 28 2020 - 2:18 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

They've ought to be abundant because of their fast growing and aggressive nature...

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 28 2020 - 3:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think of the Dakotas more as prairie states. Crematogaster are ants of deciduous forest edges. Lasius dominate the prairies, but maybe I’m over simplifying?
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 28 2020 - 4:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

True, but we do have many parks that are densely wooded.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 28 2020 - 4:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What are the dominant tree species? Are there many native vines? I want to crack this case of the missing Crematogasters.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#30 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 28 2020 - 5:14 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

*Pink Panther music intensifies* 

• Ants_Dakota and Antkid12 like this

#31 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 9 2020 - 12:17 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I guess I have a place here even though my crematogaster colony is in it's founding stage  :lol:

• ANTdrew likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#32 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2020 - 8:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I observed something interesting while queen hunting other night. Some tiny Crematogaster workers (maybe minutissima?) were swarming a spot of wet bird poop. I know folks have mentioned Camponotus eating bird poop, but seems like Cremas like it, too. Maybe I’ll try feeding some to my colony?
  • AntsDakota likes this

#33 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 18 2020 - 8:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

What are the dominant tree species? Are there many native vines? I want to crack this case of the missing Crematogasters.

In densely wooded areas, maples, ash, oaks, willows, and some evergreens are dominant. Not many vines at all. (p.s.- sorry for the late response, didn't see this before now)

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#34 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 18 2020 - 8:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I think of the Dakotas more as prairie states. Crematogaster are ants of deciduous forest edges. Lasius dominate the prairies, but maybe I’m over simplifying?

And another thing- there are also a lot of rivers, streams, and creeks in South Dakota and surrounding states. Around those rivers, there are always dense forests, where forest-dwelling ants tend to thrive.

• ANTdrew likes this

#35 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 18 2020 - 2:09 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

My crematogasters are keeping the "sawdust" from their mealworm meat excavations.

• AntsDakota likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2020 - 3:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

And another thing- there are also a lot of rivers, streams, and creeks in South Dakota and surrounding states. Around those rivers, there are always dense forests, where forest-dwelling ants tend to thrive.
Hmmm, I wonder why you wouldn’t see them more near those forest edges? I know members from WI and IL have found them. Maybe it is the lack of vines and creepers?
  • CheetoLord02 and AntsDakota like this

#37 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:36 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Hmmm, I wonder why you wouldn’t see them more near those forest edges? I know members from WI and IL have found them. Maybe it is the lack of vines and creepers?

It's pretty funny, now that you mention it I've found most Crematogaster at the edges of forests, and never noticed it. I never really paid much attention to the flora present in the forests themselves, but maybe I'll take that into consideration next time I look. Also, it's worth noting that C. cerasi are absolutely everywhere here, but they hide their queens in a different dimension or something. I've only found 2 fertile cerasi queens, one was along in a random stump I cut open and one was in a massive colony, she just happened to be warming up under a big rock. That was the first time I've ever seen a fertile cerasi queen in a colony. Lineolata on the other hand is terrible at hiding their queens. I've got a 3 queen colony just from a single small-ish piece of wood, and AnthonyP163 and I found a massive colony with a dozen queens living inside of an old gardening glove at Gotham Jack Pines in Wisconsin.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#38 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 4:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Forest edges are usually very diverse habitats. The greater amount of light allows a much higher number of plant species to survive, and this in turn increasing animal diversity. I have a theory based on observations that native vines and creepers are very important sugar sources for these arboreal ants.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

#39 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 19 2020 - 5:14 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I observed something interesting while queen hunting other night. Some tiny Crematogaster workers (maybe minutissima?) were swarming a spot of wet bird poop. I know folks have mentioned Camponotus eating bird poop, but seems like Cremas like it, too. Maybe I’ll try feeding some to my colony?

That would be interesting if they were minutissima. I can't find any records of them being in VA, but they are one of the coolest species. Can you find them again and take pics?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#40 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 19 2020 - 5:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I will try. I just guessed because they were like half the size of my cerasi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users