• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The Gold Death (Formerly AntsDakota's Ant Journal)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 8:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Alright cool! I still can't believe how the formica subsericea died... :(  :(  :(

• AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#62 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 13 2020 - 10:05 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Yeah, I was even trying to do what was best for them.......
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#63 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 14 2020 - 7:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Yeah, I was even trying to do what was best for them.......

I am sure you were.

• AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#64 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 14 2020 - 8:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

it happens, don't hate yourself over it

• AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and Thunder_Birds like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#65 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 14 2020 - 10:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I don't think he will. As you said, it happens to everyone.

• AntsDakota likes this

#66 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 15 2020 - 10:11 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’d still like to know how a worm would be poisonous, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#67 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 15 2020 - 10:19 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

an act of pure will

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#68 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 15 2020 - 10:43 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

an act of pure will

Either the worm willed against the ants, or the ants willed against themselves..........
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#69 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 16 2020 - 2:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry about the Formica queen. I hope you can find a new one this summer. Mine is doing pretty well, thankfully.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#70 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 16 2020 - 4:28 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I don't even know what to say about mine lol. She just kinda there and terrified to be there

at least most of the time

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#71 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 16 2020 - 4:30 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I'm hoping that in the TT she'll lay rather quickly

#72 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 16 2020 - 9:32 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I’d still like to know how a worm would be poisonous, though.

Earth worms tend to be fairly pesticide resistant, and can carry the toxic chemicals on their bodies for a long time. The worm you fed your ants must have been exposed to some poisons at one point. It's a good rule of thumb (mostly if you live in an urban/suburban area) to never feed any pet wild caught food. With wild termites, though, they are so susceptible to pesticides that you can guarantee any wild termite is safe. Same with forest roaches.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#73 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 16 2020 - 10:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I got the worms at PetSmart.

#74 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 16 2020 - 10:08 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Oh, then I have no clue as to why she died.

#75 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 16 2020 - 10:09 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Sorry about the Formica queen. I hope you can find a new one this summer. Mine is doing pretty well, thankfully.

Thanks. Although I have found multiple queens every year for the past 2-3 years, so I’m pretty confident about this year as well.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#76 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 16 2020 - 10:11 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Oh, then I have no clue as to why she died.
Yeah, that’s what I thought too. This summer I might get a few wild workers to test it on, to see if they’re all toxic.

#77 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 10:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I do not believe the death of the NOCT IMPERIUM was mere bad luck. I believe there is a fungal pathogen going around my room. Over the past several weeks, queen after queen has shown up dead. Some of the Lasius queens grew a strange yellow fungus after death:

ztMaPFF.jpg

This ended up taking Crassica a couple weeks ago, and both my Pogonomyrmex last week.  :*(  :mad:  :( Now I have nothing.........

#78 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 29 2020 - 10:55 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yikes

#79 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 29 2020 - 11:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I believe it was either transmitted in the air or through my hands when I fed the Pogonomyrmex and opened up the Lasius tubes for better pics (they’re good and just sit there, never had any escapes).

#80 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 29 2020 - 11:27 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I had something similar happen as well. The infected tubes have never been opened since the infection. It was clearly common in the Eastern Sierras. I am so sorry for your losses, and I hope thet any remaining ants survive, and that this doesn't happen again. If I were you, I wouldn't open the infected tubes, just throw them out.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users