• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants_Dakota's General Ant Journal(Hibernation issues and experiments in South Dakota)

ants_dakota south dakota south dakotan ants ant journal formica montana camponotus novaeboracensis camponotus pennsalvanicus lasius americanus aphaenogaster rudis myrmica americana formica

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 6:13 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ok, so here is my journal on my still small but rapidly growing tetramorium colony. Immigrans, I believe, but do correct me if I am wrong. So, originally, this colony was an experiment. You may notice the two bigger ants in the picture.P1040472.JPG

These workers were introduced as pupa from another colony around my house, in order to see if they were the same species. Turns out they are, as they now loyally serve the queen, basically as her body guards. There size difference is huge, compared to the nanitics. I had 3 colonies of tetramorium at first, but i heard that they grew really fast, and that you didn't want more than one of them. So I took the brood out of the first two and put them into this one. That is why there is so much brood. They also disembodied a cricket, which is not even visible anymore, as it is literally shredded up! In my opinion, tetramorium is the easiest to keep ants around here, as all of my colonies have grown into huge success, and have been sold, or were killed due to an experiment(like up above).

(also sorry the test tube looks weird. that is because the camera is really close)

Edited by Ants_Dakota, December 8 2020 - 6:02 PM.

• Ants4fun, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 4 others like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 7:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

In my opinion, tetramorium is the easiest to keep ants around here.

Easiest to raise, I agree, but ANTdrew could probably testify against that with large colonies......  :lol:

• Ants_Dakota and jushi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 6:45 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Well, I am sure a ravenous colony of tetramorium would be hard to handle!

• jushi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 16 2020 - 7:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,363 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Definitely one of my favorite species to keep. You can read my Tetrararium journal to see the story of my mega-colony. They’re insane. I have tough decisions to make once they wake up.
  • ConTejas, Ants_Dakota and jushi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 16 2020 - 3:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Definitely one of my favorite species to keep. You can read my Tetrararium journal to see the story of my mega-colony. They’re insane. I have tough decisions to make once they wake up.

Make a hundred gallon tropical paludarium setup for them and start a YouTube channel.  :lol:

• DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 10:15 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I am actually trading my colony to ants4fun, so he now is the one who has to worry about 100 gallon tropical paludariums :lol:!

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 27 2020 - 10:09 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Ok, so here is my update. My solenopsis colony is doing good, a couple of eggs, i think. (this is being traded to ants4fun)

P1040559.JPG

Next, I have my tetramorium colony, which is as ravenous as ever. (this is also being traded to ants4fun)

P1040561.JPG

Next is formica, who have got a whole new batch of eggs.

P1040567.JPG

And finally, we have my Lasius Americanus colony.

P1040572.JPG

• Ants4fun, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 3 others like this

#8 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted February 27 2020 - 4:15 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Nice man!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#Ants4Life

#9 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 27 2020 - 4:30 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

yeah, real butes! I love Solenopsis growth and some of their colors, but don't feel like getting stung lol

• Ants_Dakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 27 2020 - 4:52 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
These are too small to sting. You’re thinking of RIFAs. These are thief ants.

Edited by AntsDakota, February 27 2020 - 5:09 PM.

• DDD101DDD, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and Ants_Dakota like this

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 27 2020 - 5:41 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

oh

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:22 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Yes,these are really mini solenopsis, that will not harm a human with it's sting. They are actually very numerous up here.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:44 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
What're you trading for? If you don't mind me asking.

#14 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:46 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

What're you trading for? If you don't mind me asking.

I am trading my tetramorium and solenopsis colony for a firebrick formicarium with an outworld. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#15 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 4 2020 - 2:39 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, fair trade?

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 3:06 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Both species queens fly in massive numbers each year, so I guess you could say that.

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 4 2020 - 7:09 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

wow, fair trade?

do you think it is?

#18 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:09 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

:D  :D  :D Well, maybe... sounds like a good deal for you ;)

Edited by Thunder_Birds, March 4 2020 - 8:11 PM.

#Ants4Life

#19 Offline Mdrogun - Posted March 4 2020 - 8:46 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

In my experience with Solenopsis molesta I could never get more than a few queens to found together succesfully. Yet 57 queens do just fine together if in a large colony  :lol: . Good luck lol

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 5 2020 - 9:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Here is my solenopsis colony. They have eggs!

P1040610.JPG

here is my tetramorium colony. they have some huge larva and pupa.

P1040612.JPG

and here is my formica. they are really successful, and have a clump of eggs and 2 larva!

P1040615.JPG

P1040621.JPG

and here is my lasius americana colony. I don't know if she has eggs, because of the substrate.

P1040624.JPG

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants_dakota, south dakota, south dakotan ants, ant journal, formica montana, camponotus novaeboracensis, camponotus pennsalvanicus, lasius americanus, aphaenogaster rudis, myrmica americana, formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users