• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SoDak (Society of Dakotan Ant Keepers) Official Ant Keeping Thread

ant keeping south dakota camponotus formica lasius solenopsis molesta aphaenogaster tetramorium pogonomyrmex occidentalis myrmica ponera brachymyrmex

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#141 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 25 2020 - 7:30 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

Well for starters, neoniger will not rear their first workers before hibernation in temperate regions, and will lay come spring. Being South Dakota I would recommend sticking them in a refrigerator or a cooler in your garage starting in early to mid October up through early March (you could technically go through April, but taking them out in March is fine). 

Ha! That's what you think! My L. neoniger are already getting their first nanitics!  :lol:

I have found that they will usually get their nanitics before winter only if you put them in a dirt setup, which i would recommend to amerikanstrum.

Mine're in simple tubes.

• Ants_Dakota and amerikansturm like this

#142 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 7:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

Well for starters, neoniger will not rear their first workers before hibernation in temperate regions, and will lay come spring. Being South Dakota I would recommend sticking them in a refrigerator or a cooler in your garage starting in early to mid October up through early March (you could technically go through April, but taking them out in March is fine). 

Ha! That's what you think! My L. neoniger are already getting their first nanitics!  :lol:

I have found that they will usually get their nanitics before winter only if you put them in a dirt setup, which i would recommend to amerikanstrum.

Mine're in simple tubes.

i have tried that for years, and it never seems to work. the queens just get eggs and then die after winter.

• TennesseeAnts and amerikansturm like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#143 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 8:10 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hi guys! I'm new here and new to formiculture but I've been watching YouTube videos for a while (mostly AntsCanada) and decided it would be cool to get into. I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

also, i would post pics if you can. we would love to confirm the identification!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#144 Offline amerikansturm - Posted September 27 2020 - 6:08 PM

amerikansturm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Hi guys! I'm new here and new to formiculture but I've been watching YouTube videos for a while (mostly AntsCanada) and decided it would be cool to get into. I captured a couple of queens early last week and did the typical test tube set up. I believe they are Lasius Neoniger (I'm in Pierre if that helps with the identification) and I've been reading that they need hibernation. So I have questions about that. How should I do that, when should I start it and for how long?

also, i would post pics if you can. we would love to confirm the identification!

Hi here are some pics and as I mentioned in my message, would I just do regular dirt, place them on top and let them dig and then use the pipette to put water in on top? reason I ask is because I did scoop up dirt with one of the queens and she buried herself in but then I realized she didn't have water so I moved her.
https://www.formicul.../21575-topview/

https://www.formicul...21574-sideview/

Edited by amerikansturm, September 27 2020 - 6:10 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

There are four things which are little on the earth,
But they are exceedingly wise:
The ants are a people not strong,
Yet they prepare their food in the summer

Proverbs 30:24-25 NKJV

#145 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 28 2020 - 5:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hi here are some pics and as I mentioned in my message, would I just do regular dirt, place them on top and let them dig and then use the pipette to put water in on top? reason I ask is because I did scoop up dirt with one of the queens and she buried herself in but then I realized she didn't have water so I moved her.

That is exactly correct to how you water them. also, those pics look like lasius neoniger to me, so good identification!

• amerikansturm likes this

#146 Offline amerikansturm - Posted September 28 2020 - 3:17 PM

amerikansturm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

That is exactly correct to how you water them. also, those pics look like lasius neoniger to me, so good identification!

Thanks!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#147 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 28 2020 - 3:44 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Thanks!

you really have no idea how excited to have another member from South Dakota. I know all the other ones really well. Hopefully you are on formiculture a once in a while, and learn lots of new things like i did!

• amerikansturm likes this

#148 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 4:40 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

saw a lasius neoniger queen yesterday. claviger still not swarming, though.

#149 Offline Ants4fun - Posted October 6 2020 - 4:43 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Some L. Claviger already flew!

Edited by Ants4fun, October 6 2020 - 4:46 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#150 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 4:46 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Some L. Claviger already flew!

what! did you get any queens!

#151 Offline Ants4fun - Posted October 6 2020 - 4:48 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
No, didn’t get the chance, but they usually fly the same time as L. Neoniger and can often be found around them. I saw a few of them during the big L. Neoniger flight.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#152 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 6 2020 - 6:05 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

No, didn’t get the chance, but they usually fly the same time as L. Neoniger and can often be found around them. I saw a few of them during the big L. Neoniger flight.

that we missed. do you have any extra lasius?

#153 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 7 2020 - 6:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Did it happen around the same time it does every year? 

do you have any extra lasius?

I second this.  :D

• Ants_Dakota likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#154 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 7 2020 - 6:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Did it happen around the same time it does every year? 

do you have any extra lasius?

I second this.  :D

we need lasius!!!

#155 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 11:13 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i did a bit of updating to my first post to make it easier for new south dakotan ant keepers to see when ants fly. can you edit your first post so it looks really good, AntsDakota?

#156 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 5:37 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

really like the updated first post, AntsDakota!

#157 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 17 2021 - 4:33 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
Well, I am on a camping trip right now, and on the first day I have caught 2 monomorium minimum queens, and a formica subsericea queen! 3 days left to go... let's hope for some more queens! Anyone have any ideas of what other queens are flying right now?
  • ANTdrew likes this

#158 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2021 - 3:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent findings!
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#159 Offline amerikansturm - Posted January 29 2022 - 1:23 PM

amerikansturm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD
Hey guys, I’m a little worried about my Tetra colony… it’s my first overwinter. Wife won’t let the ants in the house so I’ve got them in our garage with a thermostat sensor taped to the side of the tube and heating pad inside a 2.5 gal aquarium I found laying around. I have the temp to keep it about 40 in that tank. Been checking on them about once a month and changing out their sugar water and protein. The queens still alive and looks like about half a dozen brood or so but I’m pretty sure only one worker is alive and before the hibernation started there were 6. Is this normal? I know the conditions of hibernation aren’t ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#160 Offline amerikansturm - Posted January 29 2022 - 2:06 PM

amerikansturm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Hey guys, I’m a little worried about my Tetra colony… it’s my first overwinter. Wife won’t let the ants in the house so I’ve got them in our garage with a thermostat sensor taped to the side of the tube and heating pad inside a 2.5 gal aquarium I found laying around. I have the temp to keep it about 40 in that tank. Been checking on them about once a month and changing out their sugar water and protein. The queens still alive and looks like about half a dozen brood or so but I’m pretty sure only one worker is alive and before the hibernation started there were 6. Is this normal? I know the conditions of hibernation aren’t ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take that back - there’s still like 6 or 7 workers. Just had to open my garage door and let some fresh warm air in here to get it to 50 degrees haha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant keeping, south dakota, camponotus, formica, lasius, solenopsis molesta, aphaenogaster, tetramorium, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, myrmica, ponera, brachymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users