• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen gone on a walk about

queen camponotus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JillionsMillions - Posted February 12 2020 - 6:24 PM

JillionsMillions

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

I have a Camponotus Modoc queen with about 40 ants. She has left the nest by herself to go feed at the sugar feeder? And now it legit looks like she is straight up hiding from her colony. Is the mom life just too much? lol

It just seems weird that none of her ants came with her. She is not displaying any other odd behaviors, any thoughts are appreciated. 

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 12 2020 - 6:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Happens to a lot of colonies, but I have no idea what causes it. Makes more sense with semi claustral queens.

• JillionsMillions likes this

#3 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 12 2020 - 6:44 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

she needs a break from the kids, one needs a ride to soccer practice and the other 39 want to go to their friends birthday parties(they each have their own friend) and she is hiding from the mom life

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 2 others like this

#4 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 13 2020 - 10:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Camponotus are just straight up weird. Everyone loves them because they're big, but they do the dumbest/ weirdest things.

• CheetoLord02, JillionsMillions and Ants_Dakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 13 2020 - 2:36 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I can vouch for him lol

• JillionsMillions likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted February 25 2020 - 6:40 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
I have a semi claustral queen and she did that too for a while but from the little experience I have with camponotus I know that they are very unpredictable and camponotus nanitics are just nuts. A retarded version of what an ant should be. lol
  • ANTdrew and OhNoNotAgain like this

#7 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted February 25 2020 - 7:37 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Wow, had no idea Camponotus was so derpy among ants, though I gotta say one of my Veromessor colonies is also super stupid.

What's the queen doing now?

• ANTdrew likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 3:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Wow, had no idea Camponotus was so derpy among ants, though I gotta say one of my Veromessor colonies is also super stupid.
What's the queen doing now?

They also have a nasty reputation for sudden queen death shortly after the nanitics arrive.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline anttics - Posted March 21 2020 - 9:36 PM

anttics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
It happen to my camponotus and Novomessor cokerelli. They both run around the out world for a few days. And die out. They started this behaviour right after the novomessor colony got invaded by Argentine ants, but survived. The queen left the nest when they were attacked. She never came back, and die a few days later. The Camponotus queen run out. When I moved them to a new nest due to mold. She acted weird for a day. Next day she was in the out world running around non stop. She died 3 days later. My conclusion is. the queen felt the nest was compromised, And decided to look for a new start. A solution would be to give her options to find a new nest. Give her test tubes, or a jar with dirt to dig. Make sure not to touch her. She should find it on her own.

#10 Offline skocko76 - Posted March 25 2020 - 12:18 PM

skocko76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSplit, Croatia
My Messor queens forage sometimes while the colony is small. But that is well known for Messors. Once they get media workers, it doesn't happen anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen, camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users