• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is the craziest thing you've caught a queen ant in?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I often keep mine in empty water bottles when bringing them home.

• Mettcollsuss likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
My sock. While wearing the sock. During PE at school. Now I bring a test tube to school every day.
  • Mettcollsuss, AntsBC, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:21 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I think once I didn't have anything and I carried a queen home cupped in my hand.....  :facepalm:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Major - Posted February 2 2020 - 8:01 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
My underwear. It just crawled right in there and found a warm spot (cough cough) and I started panicking cause there was a solenopsis sp. queen crawling around my man parts.
  • Mettcollsuss, TennesseeAnts, AntsBC and 2 others like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 2 2020 - 9:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My underwear. It just crawled right in there and found a warm spot (cough cough) and I started panicking cause there was a solenopsis sp. queen crawling around my man parts.

I think Major wins this one.
For me, it was a Nerds candy box while trick-or-treating with my kids.
  • Mettcollsuss, NickAnter and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 2 2020 - 10:02 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

ooh boy, i was waiting for my mom to pick me up and i found a queen, i kept hold of its legs for 10 min before my mom gave me a pill bottle with some of her adhd meds that she moved to a plastic bag so i could keep the queen,(the plastic bag was dirty af thanks mom)

• Mettcollsuss and ANTdrew like this

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted February 2 2020 - 11:53 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

A test tube. That was smaller than usual.

• Mettcollsuss, Manitobant and Somethinghmm like this

#8 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted February 2 2020 - 12:18 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

One time I had to dig a used juice bottle out of the trash to catch a formica queen. I'm really surprised that that's the weirdest thing I've caught on in considering I forget to take test tubes pretty often.

• Mettcollsuss, DDD101DDD and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#9 Offline kgollehon - Posted February 2 2020 - 12:42 PM

kgollehon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWestwood

Put one in a pencil sharpener one time, one of those ones with the shaving wells. Was very ill prepared happening upon a large nuptial flight in Joshua Tree on one of my camping trips. Also used several water bottles and an inhaler box that day haha! 

• Mettcollsuss, AntsBC and Ants_Dakota like this
Colonies: Tetramorium sp., Solenopsis xyloni

Put an end to hate, go green, vote left! Peace

#10 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted February 2 2020 - 1:12 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I have two contestants.

One of them was my very first queen, a Camponotus pennsylvanicus (that turned out to be infertile). I was on a field trip with my class and saw her on a tree but had no containers on me, so I began asking everyone around me if they had anything I could use. My teacher ended up quickly drinking the rest of her Starbucks iced-coffee-esque drink (I don't remember exactly what it was) and giving me the cup to use.

The other one was when I was at a summer camp and didn't have any tubes during a Formica subsericea flight so I had to take one of my socks off and carry her in that. Hiking back to the cabin without a sock wasn't exactly fun.

• AntsBC and Ants_Dakota like this

#11 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 2 2020 - 1:26 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

A test tube. That was smaller than usual.

that's NUTS MY DUDE OMG, also hi been a while bud

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 2 2020 - 3:52 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I have a few stories

One time I caught a formica aserva queen while out at my local fish store. I had nowhere to put her so I had to keep the aggressive acid spraying queen in my hand while my mom drove 30 mins across the city to get home.

Another time when I was at math tutoring I found 5 myrmica brevispinosa queens. I had to improvise and stuck them in a plastic cup with paper taped to the top for the hour long class and the 30 minute car ride home.

When I was on my way to see IT chapter 2 I found a formica limata queen in my hair. I had to think fast as the bus was just coming down the street and luckily my dad had a pen on him so he took out the inside parts so I had a hollowed out pen to stick the queen in for the almost 3 hour movie. Sadly, she died a few days after, presumably infertile.

Edited by Manitobant, February 2 2020 - 3:53 PM.

#13 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 2 2020 - 6:19 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I found a Lasius neoniger queen stuck in a pool during a swim practice so I had to keep her in my goggles (while I had them on) for 2 hours til the end of practice. Needless to say my eye was very irritated. The queen turned out to have never mated in the first place as well.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, February 2 2020 - 6:22 PM.

• AntsBC, ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 3 2020 - 4:35 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

My dad almost caught a queen with a fishing net (it was a costume party and we went for a walk because it was a boring day). It sadly was a few millimeters away from making it into the net  :( 

the fishing net was the size of his hand though (it was tiny), sorry for not saying that in the first place lol

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#15 Offline kgollehon - Posted February 6 2020 - 2:33 PM

kgollehon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationWestwood

How could I forget, the first queen and I ever caught, a Formica fusca! Found her outside of an AT&T store and cupped her in my hands for 20 minutes before putting her in a yeti cup and taking that cup all the way on the train to Los Angeles!

• Ants_Dakota likes this
Colonies: Tetramorium sp., Solenopsis xyloni

Put an end to hate, go green, vote left! Peace

#16 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 6 2020 - 3:45 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Probably my mouth. A few actually lived.

Easy enough really. Solenopsis molesta mating flights (at least down in san diego, I imagine same elsewhere) are so low to the ground you can walk right through the balls of lots of flying alates. They were actually pretty annoying with their flights. They'd get in hair, clothes everywhere. And the alates had a tiny but barely noticeable sting to them, but it was so minor didn't really bother me. I could feel their little tiny pricks though, just barely but I noticed. My mom noticed too.

Edited by Vendayn, February 6 2020 - 3:47 PM.

#17 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted February 6 2020 - 9:22 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

oh hold on lets see: A basketball shoe, a water bottle, my hands, a stick, a pile of dirt. Yea the queen buried into the ground, so i grabbed the dirt clump from my backyard and brought it into my garage where I was able to get the queen out of the dirt.

• TennesseeAnts, kgollehon and ANTdrew like this

#18 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:41 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Probably an old beer bottle. I was camping and had nothing else, so i looked around, and lo-and-behold! 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#19 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 15 2020 - 11:47 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

wow, did she survive?

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 5:51 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

well, they survived the crazy trip(there were actually two of them), and did not get drunk, but unfortunately they did not lay any eggs.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users