• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forest's general journal(updated 5/15/20) GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 20 2020 - 5:53 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Or admit basketball is the better sport...March Madness is 10 times better than soccer and football combined

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#62 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 6:29 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Why does new york have to be so cold and windy

Don’t tell me about cold and wind.......

Edited by AntsDakota, March 20 2020 - 6:29 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#63 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 6:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Do we really have to get into this? Just accept that soccer is the best sport. XD
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Oh come now........ we’ve all known all along that baseball is truly superior........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#64 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 20 2020 - 7:13 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

basketball

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#65 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 9:26 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Baseball.

#66 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 20 2020 - 10:07 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Anting is the best sport.

• AntsDakota, DDD101DDD and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#67 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 20 2020 - 10:13 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

yall too serious about sports... BOWLING IS BEST

#68 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 20 2020 - 10:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Anting is the best sport.

SHE GOT ANOTHER WORKER!!! AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!!!

Edited by AntsDakota, March 20 2020 - 10:32 AM.

• PacificNorthWestern likes this

#69 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 20 2020 - 5:12 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

IT'S HER THIRD IN A WEEK! WHAT AN AMAZING BATCH!!! *crowd looses their minds because they are bored out of their minds and really don't want to be there*

• PacificNorthWestern and AntsDakota like this

#70 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 21 2020 - 5:53 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
AND OH! LOOK AT THAT LARVA FLICK ITS HEAD! WHAT AN AMAZING DISPLAY!

#71 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 21 2020 - 6:21 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

NOW THE LARVA HAS WHIPLASH TO IT'S NON-EXISTENT BRAIN! JOLLY GOOD SHOW!

#72 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 21 2020 - 6:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
THE QUEEN LAID AN EGG!!! ANOTHER POINT FOR THE COLONY!!!

#73 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 21 2020 - 6:27 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

OH BUT NOW WE HAVE SOME RIFAs COMING! LOOK OUT!!!

#74 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 21 2020 - 6:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
BUT THE ARGENTINES PLANTED ANOTHER COLONY!!! THEY ARE NOT BACKING DOWN!!!

#75 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 21 2020 - 9:14 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I feel like forest is going to get mad at us if we continue...

#76 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 26 2020 - 7:07 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

yall kill me with the sports talk... but in other talk

Strumigenys sp.

they live by one of the orange tree sprigs and burrowed on the side. They have around 2-3 foragers. The one that I usually see I named Phil. they forage quite actively and they look so weird and I love them, I wish they could burrow against the glass and I also wish I could get a tower like thing without paying Ants Canada to put them in... lol

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Queen 1(mini hearth)- has some good brood development, gen 2 is about to arrive with 3 members currently pupated, as well as gen 3 larvae growing quite nicely, and gen 4 eggs are good
Queen 2(Test Tube)- I had to force move her into a new tube, the water was seeping through, I transferred the brood and stuff myself just missing like 4 eggs I can get later. I'm not worried they have 6 pupae and the queen produces when she wants.
Formica Pallidefulva 

She has one cocoon pupa and the rest are naked, around 5 total. she's also pumped out some more eggs, these guys sure grow quick, They also look really nice and are one of my favorite colonies
Temnothorax cf. Longispinosus 

She has been quite productive, I counted 29 workers and with one large larvae, possibly alate because its larger than the workers. These guys drink sugar water but since they are wild caught as a colony they don't recognize it as a food source as of yet, a couple workers drink it but so far not many. They love mealworm though

TH-TH-TH-that's ALL FOLKS!!!

#77 Offline ponerinecat - Posted March 26 2020 - 8:57 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

an "ant tower" is very easy to make. I made one out of two collection vials of different sizes, some sponge, and some substrate.

#78 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 26 2020 - 12:43 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

an "ant tower" is very easy to make. I made one out of two collection vials of different sizes, some sponge, and some substrate.

I'm just lazy and don't want to go out of my house to buy stuff... i could probably get stuff at hobby lobby

#79 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 1 2020 - 8:00 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

SO I got my lasius parasite queen to accept workers and vice versa, this is going very nicely and I am super lucky

• AntsDakota likes this

#80 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 1 2020 - 8:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Nice! That is something I have never accomplished. I intend to try again this year as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users