• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forest's general journal(updated 5/15/20) GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 23 2020 - 1:10 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

She might be infertile, or something else...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#22 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted February 23 2020 - 3:16 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Most likely, but lasius don't like test tubes that well(in my experience) and seem to prefer substrate. i have never actually raised a lasius queen to have workers, but I have seen a colony that was in a dirt set up and had 20 workers by the winter.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 23 2020 - 3:43 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Well, there are plenty of good examples of people raising flourishing colonies in plain test tubes, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 23 2020 - 4:51 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

i should probably put in some substrate but idk what dirt to use, outdoors some organic plain stuff(i like how it looks) or cocofiber

#25 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 23 2020 - 5:38 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

if you use dirt or substrate from outdoors, make sure to sanitize it (as it may be containing unwanted chemicals that you would put in the test tube with the queen, and it's pretty much self  explanatory) , otherwise you could buy substrate from your local pet store or something...  

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#26 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 23 2020 - 6:01 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

ok ima just buy(steal) a pinch of cocofiber lol

#27 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 25 2020 - 1:31 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis(2/25/20)

-so i have reason to believe that she has layed eggs, she has over 50 host workers so it is difficult to determine. but i saw her against the plastic of the tube with eggs underneath her, 5 to be precise. I hope this colony grows as social parasites have always been interesting to me. 

Camponotus pennsylvanicus(2/25/20)

- looking for names for the 4 colonies that I have.

-Queen 1 is in a mini hearth with 4 workers, 3 larvae and over 15 eggs

-Queen 2 is in a test tube with 6 workers, 10+ larvae with possible media larvae which is a little early, and 15+ eggs

-Queen 3 is in a test tube with 0 workers, 4 eggs 
-Queen 4 is in a test tube with 0 workers, 3 eggs nicknamed "skinny" because she has a shorter gaster that is quite thin

Formica subsericea(2/25/20)
-No updates, still skittish, 4 workers

Formica pallidefulva(2/25/20)
-No updates, around 6 eggs

Crematogaster CF. cerasi(2/25/20)
-several eggs around 4-7 in total.

Fin.

#28 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 25 2020 - 2:33 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

IDK if mine has eggs or not (because I was able to sneak a peak and she didn't move) and she didn't have any eggs in her mouth, but I just checked that because I didn't want to freak her out

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 25 2020 - 3:39 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Same here. I am giving my Camponotus an extra week of secrecy, as mentioned in my journal.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#30 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 27 2020 - 5:37 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis(2/25/20)

- eggs are confirmed. how I confirmed was when i put a mealworm head in the queen made an appearance and was CARRYING eggs and a medium size larvae of a host worker... WHAT A TWIST!!! I did not expect her to carry her eggs like that or care for them, SCIENCE!

Formica subsericea(2/25/20)
STILL won't LAY EGGS WHAT SHALL I DO THEY EAT MEALWORMS AND SUGURS WHY DOES SHE HATE ME!!! please tell me why she won't lay eggs

#31 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 27 2020 - 5:55 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

She just needs time and patience. Just take a breather. Focus on your other colonies and let her do her thing. She's gotten this far right? 

#32 Offline ForestDragon - Posted February 27 2020 - 6:00 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

She just needs time and patience. Just take a breather. Focus on your other colonies and let her do her thing. She's gotten this far right? 

I'm probably going to put her in her own container and leave her alone for 2 weeks

#33 Offline madbiologist - Posted February 27 2020 - 7:28 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
The Camponotus you gave me have 20 plus eggs, also, I'm glad to see the Aphaenogaster workers I gave you have been playing well with your queen!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#34 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 3 2020 - 3:11 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis(3/3/20)

so i have been told from a couple people that they are exclusively carnivorous in captivity due to the lack of a social stomach, but i was wondering about how they would get their carbs and other nutrients aside from the insects. I gave them a pistachio and they took in a couple of the smaller pieces into the nest and are eating them so WIN, they like nuts. I was going to try cashews next but I ate them all lol.

Formica subsericea(3/3/20)
SUCCESS WE HAVE AN EGG, but a worker died for an unknown reason so i am a little mad, this colonies fate hangs in the balance i really hope they do well this year. if they don't oh well

Camponotus pennsylvanicus(3/3/20)

Queen One(mini hearth)-  the 3 larvae pupated and has eggs, so 4 workers around 15-20+ eggs and no larvae, looking very promising for her this year
Queen Two(test tube)- 6 workers that large larvae stopped growing but has not pupated, looks squishy/deflated with a tiny brown blotch on its side, queen likes to grab and hold it. no pupae but
                                      other larvae have started to grow
Queen Three and Four(test tubes)- no updates

Formica Pallidefulva(3/3/20) 
Confirmed to have larvae, several eggs have pupated going great. I plan to increase feedings once they begin feeding the larvae and need more food.

Crematogaster Cf. Cerasi(3/3/20)
No updates but has eggs, around ten or more

Edited by ForestDragon, March 3 2020 - 3:18 PM.

#35 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 3 2020 - 3:30 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
If you were told Aphaenogaster are only carnivorous, you were told wrong. They will use substrate to bring home liquid foods, and they will also readily accept solid sugar. They enjoyed regular sugar plenty before I gave them to you.

#36 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 3 2020 - 4:29 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

If you were told Aphaenogaster are only carnivorous, you were told wrong. They will use substrate to bring home liquid foods, and they will also readily accept solid sugar. They enjoyed regular sugar plenty before I gave them to you.

awesome good to know, would they prefer powdered or crystalized sugar?

#37 Offline madbiologist - Posted March 3 2020 - 4:31 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

awesome good to know, would they prefer powdered or crystalized sugar?
Either one, I don't think it matters. (I also don't know the difference)

#38 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 13 2020 - 5:23 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Camponotus pennsylvanicus(3/13/20)

Queen 1(in mini hearth)- has 3 pupae and i noticed the workers caring for a tiny larvae and its adorable, 

Queen 2(in test tube)-so the squishy larvae got a counterpart that became squishy looking as well, they had a large indent in their stomach region and i was really worried, they then pupated together after 2 weeks of being squishy for larvae 1 and a few days for larvae 2, since there is no substrate in the tube it would make sense to use each other as substrate and spin the pupa together so that's probably why he looked "starved" they have 4 pupae in total now

Formica Pallidefulva(3/13/20) 

they have some large larvae and no eggs now, i fed them some sugar water and they are all filled up, these guys larvae grows quick, once they become pupa i eggspect(get it) more eggs
NEW COLONY!!! Temnothorax longispinosus 
I am super excited for this new colony, they are cotton pickers, 1 queen they are sticking to a piece of wood and have had some die off since they were picked out of a stick in my yard, (was going to be burned anyway so might as well take em) they only had 1 larvae so i took it and once i clean their tube i will give them a small outworld to live in and i really hope they do well, i would like to add on more queens as (according to antwiki) they have the capability to do so 

IN OTHER NEWS... 

In the state of Ohio(where I live) all schools will be shut down for the next three weeks (starting after class Monday) due to scares of the Coronavirus(COVID-19). despite only 5 cases within the state and being in 3 counties this is a massive health scare that will end the world according to the mass media... its dumb... where I work(target) is completely sold out of TOILET PAPER OF ALL THINGS... people would rather have the 4 ply goodness of butt wiping paper than fresh food and clean water. its not even in my county and people are wearing masks. My older co-workers are being required to wear gloves... coronavirus is comparable to a mild flu according to people that have had it. I am not scared I WILL FIND ANTS. the media is showing its ability to topple the economy and create massive health scares... this world is doomed.

• AntsDakota likes this

#39 Offline ForestDragon - Posted March 19 2020 - 10:28 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

I'm BACK

Camponotus pennsylvanicus(3/19/20)

Queen 1(in mini hearth)- got larvae and they are bumpin it up

Queen 2(in test tube)- got more pupa, 6 in total and they are bumpin it up as well

Formica Pallidefulva(3/19/20) 

They bumpin also, they got around 7 larvae right now and no eggs, the larvae are around the 3rd or 4th instar but still have some growing to do 
Temnothorax longispinosus (3/19/20) 
they have eggs as well as one large larvae from capture, queens bupin
Aphaenogaster tennesseensis(3/19/20) 
they have eggs as well as host larvae she's doing great they are feisty 
NEW COLONY!!! Strumigenys sp. 
HOT DIGGIDY DARN!!! I FOUND THEM, I was walking through the woods on a game trail and found 4 colonies in and under the same log, 1 Aphaenogaster species didn't take them because I didn't want to destroy the log, one Ponera colony which I didn't take because I didn't feel like it. A TERMITE COLONY saw some workers and a soldier and it looked awesome I didn't want to take them though. BUT THEN THERE WAS THE HOLY GRAIL I AM SO EXCITED.  they had a queen, around 20-30 workers which I am happy about. the queen was easy to identify as a queen surprisingly, she was about half a millimeter longer and around double the height with a deep red, blocky thorax I am really excited for this, I put them in a vivarium I have in a plastic container with some springtails in it so they can feed, this is going to be great.5loRtkh.jpg

• DDD101DDD and TheMicroPlanet like this

#40 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted March 19 2020 - 10:34 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Took me a while to find them in the picture... they're camofluaged so well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users