• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What Ant Species Should I Keep Next?

da_newantontheblock q&a poll ant keeping decision

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted January 30 2020 - 1:48 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Thanks for taking time to fill out this poll! Apologies for not being on that much anymore, just been incredibly busy recently. 

Edited by Da_NewAntOnTheBlock, February 3 2020 - 1:49 PM.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#2 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted January 30 2020 - 1:50 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Just as a quick heads up, you spelled Camponotus wrong.  :D

• Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 30 2020 - 3:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Solenopsis molesta.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 30 2020 - 4:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Crematogaster cerasi 100%
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted January 31 2020 - 6:54 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I am interested in them Creamatogaster, but am concerned about containment (I have two cats, and one of them is always hungry lol).  

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#6 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted January 31 2020 - 6:57 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I am interested in Lasius, but I just don't know. I like their fast growing speed, but they're kinda tiny. If I got another Camponotus colony, I would defiantly want Castenaus, or Subarbattus. However, Formica is common around my area, just really shy  :D

#7 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 10:39 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Hello all voters! I have an announcement to make relating to the poll. I will be editing the poll to narrow it down a little- and after this narrowing down, narrow it down once more- the winning genus will be announced then. As of now, you have until 1 PM Central time (2PM Eastern time) to get your vote in! After I narrow it down I will announce what species I would like to keep, and the favorite species from voting. More announcements will be made after I narrow it down, so stay tuned! 

#8 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 11:11 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Here are the results! Camponotus was the voting favorite while Lasius was my favorite. Formica is no longer an option, and it's only between Lasius and Camponotus! Voters, you have two days to vote, so vote wisely- after the voting winner is selected and the personal winner is selected I will announce the winner(s), and will make a further announcement on what my journal will look like this year! Happy voting!

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 1 2020 - 12:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I voted for Lasius, bro. You already have Camponotus, so why not try something new?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 2:03 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Exactly my thought

• ANTdrew likes this

#11 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 1 2020 - 2:04 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Also, thank you all for voting, it's really helped me see what this forum is into and would like to see, which means a lot ant wise. So thanks :)

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 1 2020 - 5:05 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

They're low maintenance and cute.  :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 2 2020 - 8:16 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yeah, pretty great!

#14 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 2 2020 - 9:17 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Prenolepis could be interesting if they are in your area. I wish I kept my Lasius queens. I also wish I didn’t try to dig out my Prenolepis queen so it would be easier to see.

#15 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 3 2020 - 3:49 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Thanks, but I heard the survival rate for Prenolepis queens is incredibly slim...

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 3 2020 - 3:50 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Oh yeah, Lasius won the popular vote for which species I should keep. So [hopefully] you will see Lasius in my journal this year!

#17 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 3 2020 - 3:54 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Besides that, another announcement I wanted to make is that I will be doing a shout-out system for my journal! I am planning to update my journal weekly, so I will add a question at the end of each update, and you could answer it at the corresponding topic for a chance to get a shout-out! This is my way of saying thank you for putting up with me being busy and thus not being on, and also to show how much I appreciate your participation, as it's as much my journal as it is your's. This will be transformed into a shout-out topic as soon as my Camponotus come out of diapause, so be ready!   

And once again, thank you all :)

• ANTdrew likes this

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 3 2020 - 5:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I like that idea and will read whatever journals you create. Just write in a detailed way that enlightens others. Plus put lots of photos that are posted through the gallery, not those silly links. People will like it a lot.

#19 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted February 3 2020 - 6:27 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Thanks for your opinion, it means a lot.

• ANTdrew likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: da_newantontheblock, q&a, poll, ant keeping decision

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users