• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Factors triggering queen executions in the Argentine ant

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 10 2020 - 7:35 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Found this while looking up something else, and didn't see it posted before. It makes sense. Explains why Argentine ants execute so many queens in spring.

https://www.nature.c...598-019-46972-5

And here's a 1988 study on Argentine ants mating in the nest.

http://downloads.hin...1988/059259.pdf

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Equal parts fascinating and terrifying. I thank God every hard freeze we have because I don’t have to deal with these.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 11 2020 - 5:57 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Equal parts fascinating and terrifying. I thank God every hard freeze we have because I don’t have to deal with these.

I have to deal with them..... Not as common in Tennessee as they are elsewhere, but it's still annoying.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:00 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Yeah, the south gets to deal with their only slightly less evil cousin Tapinoma sessile.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 11 2020 - 6:04 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
They're basically the same thing as Argentines, just with different distribution and body shape.

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2020 - 7:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, the south gets to deal with their only slightly less evil cousin Tapinoma sessile.

This is true.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2020 - 7:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This is true.
The most prevalent invader I see here is Tetramorium immigrans. They only really dominate in highly disturbed areas. Ant diversity in my yard is still really high despite their presence.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 11 2020 - 3:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Ant diversity isn't very high in my area, unfortunately. 

Species likely to be found in your average Dakotan yard-

LOTS of Lasius (normal to parasitic 20:1, about)

LOTS of Solenopsis molesta (many colonies have multiple queens, and display impressive color variation and macrogyne/microgynes)

several competing colonies of various Formica species, most or all from the fusca group

maybe a Camponotus colony or two

a few Ponera colonies

in some areas a couple Tetramorium immigrans and tsushimae colonies

in my yard I found a couple Dorymyrmex cf. insanus colonies, not sure how common they are, extremely elusive

maybe a Brachymyrmex colony

maybe a colony or two of rarer species

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 11 2020 - 5:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

LOTS of Solenopsis molesta (many colonies have multiple queens, and display impressive color variation and macrogyne/microgynes)

several competing colonies of various Formica species, most or all from the fusca group

The Solenopsis are probably more than one species.

#10 Online ANTdrew - Posted January 11 2020 - 5:56 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Your diversity isn’t too bad, AntsDakota. I bet you could increase it even more by planting lots of native plants to basically rebuild the praerie.
Here’s what I’ve seen in my yard:
Crematogaster cerasi/ possibly other species
Camponotus chromaiodes
Camponotus pennsylvanicus
Camponotus subbarbatus
Tapinoma sessile
Nylanderia bourbonica
Lasius claviger
Lasius neoniger
Monomorium minimum
Solenopsis molesta
Pheidole bicarinata
Tetramorium immigrans
Prenolepis imparis
Plus: Recticulitermes flavipes

#11 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted January 12 2020 - 12:23 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

That's awesome. I remember when I lived elsewhere and had a variety of ants. Now all that's in my yard (and in the walls of the house) is Linepithema humile.

• ANTdrew likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 12 2020 - 3:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

The Solenopsis are probably more than one species.

Then how come all color and size varieties all cooperate in the same setup together?  I do not recall several prevalent species of Solenopsis being recorded in South Dakota.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 12 2020 - 3:48 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 12 2020 - 3:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Your diversity isn’t too bad, AntsDakota. I bet you could increase it even more by planting lots of native plants to basically rebuild the praerie.

Can't do it at the moment, though..... 

#14 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 12 2020 - 8:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

When you're smack dab in the middle of argentine territory with nests under every 1 out of four rocks but you still find tons of natives B)

#15 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 13 2020 - 3:14 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I meant to write that what is currently being called Solenopsis molesta is probably a group of similar species which are all being called S. molesta. As far as what you may have I have no clue.

Edited by gcsnelling, January 13 2020 - 3:17 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 13 2020 - 3:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I meant to write that what is currently being called Solenopsis molesta is probably a group of similar species which are all being called S. molesta. As far as what you may have I have no clue.

Ah, yes. It'll be interesting to see what they come out with... Perhaps Solenopsis dakotensis:)  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users