• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I be keeping non-native ants that have established themselves in the ecosystem?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:53 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

When I read that S. Invicta nanitics come after about 2 weeks, I kid you not, I was actually a little stunned. I mean, with that growth rate, could you imagine if they were polygynous?

For one, no. It takes about a month for them to get nanitics. Two, they are polygynous.

Yeah, S. invicta is probably best left alone. Fluon and good lids could contain them. The bigger problem is that their colonies grow way bigger than the average person really wants to deal with. It’s like a cute gremlin until you feed it after midnight.

What is cute about them to begin with? I mean, except for the queens. They look innocent enough...

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#22 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:54 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Are there any other antkeeping sites besides this one and Antkeeping.wiki? I'm having some trouble finding more.

#23 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:57 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

When I read that S. Invicta nanitics come after about 2 weeks, I kid you not, I was actually a little stunned. I mean, with that growth rate, could you imagine if they were polygynous?

For one, no. It takes about a month for them to get nanitics. Two, they are polygynous.

Yeah, S. invicta is probably best left alone. Fluon and good lids could contain them. The bigger problem is that their colonies grow way bigger than the average person really wants to deal with. It’s like a cute gremlin until you feed it after midnight.

What is cute about them to begin with? I mean, except for the queens. They look innocent enough...

Oh wow everything about my sentence was wrong  :lol:  do you know of any respectable antkeeping sites besides antkeeping.wiki? I can see some problems already...

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 15 2019 - 5:57 PM.

#24 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:57 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Are there any other antkeeping sites besides this one and Antkeeping.wiki? I'm having some trouble finding more.

I know there's one on Tapatalk, but other than that, I'm not too sure. I'm more in tune with ant information sites like AntWeb, AntMaps, AntWiki, and parts of iNaturalist.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#25 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:58 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Now  I question all my ant knowledge. Does Lasius even exist?

I've been using AntMaps and AntWiki, and i'm just starting to use Ant Web and, of course, this place.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 15 2019 - 5:59 PM.

#26 Offline Aaron567 - Posted December 15 2019 - 6:05 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

There doesn't appear to be any law that would prohibit you from keeping a captive Solenopsis invicta colony while inside their quarantine zone (or even outside of the quarantine zone?) unless someone else can point out something specifically. If you read the rest of that "Ant Keeping Wiki" article you may quickly see that the person who wrote it doesn't appear to know what they're talking about, as it is riddled with both questionable and incorrect information.

To the original point, yes, you can keep Tetramorium immigrans without making anyone angry. Releasing a captive colony of them back into the wild might be considered unethical by some, because they're known to displace some native ants in the areas where their populations are the most dense. The majority of non-native ants in the US aren't invasive, so keeping those species isn't much different from keeping native ants. The most well-known and destructive invasive ants are usually the only ones with special laws associated with them.

• AntsBC, ANTdrew and TheMicroPlanet like this

#27 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 6:08 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

There doesn't appear to be any law that would prohibit you from keeping a captive Solenopsis invicta colony while inside their quarantine zone (or even outside of the quarantine zone?) unless someone else can point out something specifically. If you read the rest of that "Ant Keeping Wiki" article you may quickly see that the person who wrote it doesn't appear to know what they're talking about, as it is riddled with both questionable and incorrect information.

To the original point, yes, you can keep Tetramorium immigrans without making anyone angry. Releasing a captive colony of them back into the wild might be considered unethical by some, because they're known to displace some native ants in the areas where their populations are the most dense. The majority of non-native ants in the US aren't invasive, so keeping those species isn't much different from keeping native ants. The most well-known and destructive invasive ants are usually the only ones with special laws associated with them.

Thanks for the info. Given this entire conversation, I think i'm going to use Antkeeping.wiki a lot less now.

#28 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 6:08 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I've been using AntMaps and AntWiki, and i'm just starting to use Ant Web and, of course, this place.

Oh yeah, Lasius definitely exists, though it seems to be in need of a revision.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 15 2019 - 6:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I think it’s unfair to compare Solenopsis invicta and Tetramorium immigrans. Both are invasive, but there’s really no comparison in terms of environmental destruction.
Keeping a non-native ant *in your house* is really no different than keeping a non-native house plant. It may actually be preferable to catch and remove non-native queens from the local breeding pool. The caveat is that you should not release or move around any invasive species by any means.
For example, I despise English Ivy because it chokes and kills the native trees in my region leaving behind a barren monoculture. I adore the pretty white and green ivy that I have growing in my office, though.

I think it would be fair to compare the two. Solenopsis invicta is a far worse invader than Tetramorium immigrans, and there are some invasive ants out there that have little to no impact on the environment. Take Strumigenys membranifera for example, or Gnamptogenys triangularis, or even Platythyrea punctata. None of those species are common enough to pose a real threat to the environment, and Strumigenys membranifera are to small to worry about at all. They eat springtails, and can easily be forced out by native ant species, and actually live symbiotically with some species. So yeah, it is fair to say that some exotics are worse than others.
I don’t understand your point. That Solenopsis invicta is a far worse invader is exactly what I was trying to say.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#30 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 7:06 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

I think it’s unfair to compare Solenopsis invicta and Tetramorium immigrans. Both are invasive, but there’s really no comparison in terms of environmental destruction.
Keeping a non-native ant *in your house* is really no different than keeping a non-native house plant. It may actually be preferable to catch and remove non-native queens from the local breeding pool. The caveat is that you should not release or move around any invasive species by any means.
For example, I despise English Ivy because it chokes and kills the native trees in my region leaving behind a barren monoculture. I adore the pretty white and green ivy that I have growing in my office, though.

I think it would be fair to compare the two. Solenopsis invicta is a far worse invader than Tetramorium immigrans, and there are some invasive ants out there that have little to no impact on the environment. Take Strumigenys membranifera for example, or Gnamptogenys triangularis, or even Platythyrea punctata. None of those species are common enough to pose a real threat to the environment, and Strumigenys membranifera are to small to worry about at all. They eat springtails, and can easily be forced out by native ant species, and actually live symbiotically with some species. So yeah, it is fair to say that some exotics are worse than others.
I don’t understand your point. That Solenopsis invicta is a far worse invader is exactly what I was trying to say.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you...

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted December 16 2019 - 3:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

You want Lasius? The whole state of South Dakota is so overran with the genus and Formica that Tetramorium has barely managed to get a foothold, at least in my neighborhood. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#32 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 16 2019 - 3:30 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I kind of said that comment about Lasius in sarcasm  :lol:

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 16 2019 - 3:30 PM.

#33 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 16 2019 - 3:52 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

The only exotic species that would be wrong to keep would be one that could become established in your area, but hasn't. So essentially, if you can find it in your neighborhood, if it can't live outdoors, or if it is something like Strumigenys or Gnamptogenys which simply can't escape, proliferate, or harm the environment in any meaningful way, you are fine.

• ANTdrew likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#34 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted December 16 2019 - 4:25 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

You want Lasius? The whole state of South Dakota is so overran with the genus and Formica that Tetramorium has barely managed to get a foothold, at least in my neighborhood. 

Here Tetramorium is pretty common.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#35 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 16 2019 - 5:25 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Discord is helpful, if you can put up with a lot of random stuff. Antwiki is pretty good too.

Edited by ponerinecat, December 16 2019 - 5:26 PM.

#36 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 17 2019 - 8:03 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

There are also Facebook ant discussion groups. Though I think this forum is more helpful overall.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#37 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted December 17 2019 - 12:53 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

AntWiki is written by myrmecologists only, so it has the most definitive scientific information.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#38 Offline SuperFrank - Posted December 29 2019 - 5:28 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
There is no federal law that says it is illegal to possess Solenopsis invicta to my knowledge. Transport across state lines or outside of the RIFA quarantine zone is of course prohibited but idk about simple possession.

#39 Offline SuperFrank - Posted December 29 2019 - 5:34 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Whether keeping a non-native species is morally acceptable or not is completely a matter of subjective opinion. You should never release captive colonies into the wild in any case, native or exotic, so in theory it wouldn't matter their status as long as you were a responsible keeper and terminated them if/when you no longer wished to keep them.

Edited by SuperFrank, December 29 2019 - 5:35 PM.

#40 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 29 2019 - 7:19 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
You know, I was really just asking if I could keep Tetramorium here in New York. I thought I saw a queen a few months ago (I could be mistaken) so I thought I should ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users