• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should I be keeping non-native ants that have established themselves in the ecosystem?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:26 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Keeping Solenopsis Invicta is illegal here in the US for obvious reasons. But apparently, Tetramorium spp. are non-native, but have established colonies here anyway. I know keeping non-native ants is generally discouraged, but what about ants that have found their own niche in the ecosystem (like Tetramorium)? Is it safe to keep them?

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 15 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:29 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Keeping Solenopsis Invicta is lillegal here in the US for obvious reasons. But apparently, Tetramorium spp. are non-native, but have established colonies here anyway. I know keeping non-native ants is generally discouraged, but what about ants that have found their own niche in the ecosystem (like Tetramorium)? Is it safe to keep them?

Yes.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:30 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Thanks.

#4 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:40 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Keeping Solenopsis Invicta is lillegal here in the US for obvious reasons. But apparently, Tetramorium spp. are non-native, but have established colonies here anyway. I know keeping non-native ants is generally discouraged, but what about ants that have found their own niche in the ecosystem (like Tetramorium)? Is it safe to keep them?

Wait, it's illegal to keep Solenopsis invicta...

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 12:48 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

In the US it's illegal to keep them, sell them, ship them, etc... But if you live someplace where they're native or where it's strangely legal to keep them, than I guess you can keep them. I'm pretty sure it's only illegal here because they're a pest...

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 15 2019 - 12:50 PM.

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 1:52 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

In the US it's illegal to keep them, sell them, ship them, etc... But if you live someplace where they're native or where it's strangely legal to keep them, than I guess you can keep them. I'm pretty sure it's only illegal here because they're a pest...

Are you from California? That's the only place I've heard of such a law existing. If it is illegal to even keep them, I'm sure pretty much half the users on here have broken the law.

• Martialis and Manitobant like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 2:11 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I'm from New York. I discovered this fact on Antkeeping.wiki.  Here's the link: https://www.antkeepi...enopsis_invicta

Apparently, California doesn't allow transport or interaction with them, and all of the US bans keeping or selling them (including California)

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 15 2019 - 2:11 PM.

#8 Offline Martialis - Posted December 15 2019 - 2:35 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

That doesn't sound right at all. WIkis are very fallible.

• TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this
Spoiler

#9 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 2:42 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Well, it'd make sense, at least for the US. Fire ants after all are VERY invasive, so there really should be restrictions anyway.

#10 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted December 15 2019 - 2:54 PM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington

Well, it'd make sense, at least for the US. Fire ants after all are VERY invasive, so there really should be restrictions anyway.

yeah it does make sense but not being allowed to keep them even if their in your yard? That doesn’t make sense cause they could be the only ant species in your yard that you have easy access when nuptial flights occur!

#11 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 3:07 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Well, in the wild, there's more of a chance of the colony dying out from natural causes. But in captivity, they can grow to huge sizes like AntsCanada's Fire Nation (AntsCanada is keeping his fire ants perfectly legally, as he lives in the phillipines). And, like the Fire Nation, all fire ants are escape artists, so it's just plain risky. Again, they're invasive to the US and are displacing many native organisms, so the worst thing that could happen is to raise a giant colony in captivity and accidently have them escape.

#12 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 4:14 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Well, in the wild, there's more of a chance of the colony dying out from natural causes. But in captivity, they can grow to huge sizes like AntsCanada's Fire Nation (AntsCanada is keeping his fire ants perfectly legally, as he lives in the phillipines). And, like the Fire Nation, all fire ants are escape artists, so it's just plain risky. Again, they're invasive to the US and are displacing many native organisms, so the worst thing that could happen is to raise a giant colony in captivity and accidently have them escape.

Just to clarify, AntsCanada has a colony of Solenopsis geminata, a larger species not native to the Philippines, and has spread around the world and is native here in the US, along with the colorful S. xyloniS. aurea, and S. amblichila. All of these species are being forced out by the introduced S. invicta, to the point where I've really only ever seen S. geminata in certain areas of the Florida Keys and S. xyloni has been mostly forced out west when it should be spread all over the southern half of the US. Despite this, it does not seem to be illegal to keep S. invicta in the continental US, and even in California you can still keep them, just not sell them.

• AnthonyP163 likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#13 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 4:23 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Alright... thanks for the info

#14 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 15 2019 - 4:29 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

It is illegal to transport them outside of and between quarantine zones.  The following link will provide most if not all the information you need about them.

https://www.aphis.us...orted_fire_ants

• Martialis and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#15 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 4:47 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

It is illegal to transport them outside of and between quarantine zones.  The following link will provide most if not all the information you need about them.

https://www.aphis.us...orted_fire_ants

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying that.

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#16 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think it’s unfair to compare Solenopsis invicta and Tetramorium immigrans. Both are invasive, but there’s really no comparison in terms of environmental destruction.
Keeping a non-native ant *in your house* is really no different than keeping a non-native house plant. It may actually be preferable to catch and remove non-native queens from the local breeding pool. The caveat is that you should not release or move around any invasive species by any means.
For example, I despise English Ivy because it chokes and kills the native trees in my region leaving behind a barren monoculture. I adore the pretty white and green ivy that I have growing in my office, though.

Edited by ANTdrew, December 15 2019 - 5:43 PM.

• Antennal_Scrobe and camponotuskeeper like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#17 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:40 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think it’s unfair to compare Solenopsis invicta and Tetramorium immigrans. Both are invasive, but there’s really no comparison in terms of environmental destruction.
Keeping a non-native ant *in your house* is really no different than keeping a non-native house plant. It may actually be preferable to catch and remove non-native queens from the local breeding pool. The caveat is that you should not release or move around any invasive species by any means.

If you can keep your ants from escaping, I suppose you have nothing to worry about. But Solenopsis is known for being very crafty when it comes to escaping.

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, S. invicta is probably best left alone. Fluon and good lids could contain them. The bigger problem is that their colonies grow way bigger than the average person really wants to deal with. It’s like a cute gremlin until you feed it after midnight.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:51 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

When I read that S. Invicta nanitics come after about 2 weeks, I kid you not, I was actually a little stunned. I mean, with that growth rate, could you imagine if they were polygynous?

#20 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted December 15 2019 - 5:51 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

For example, I despise English Ivy because it chokes and kills the native trees in my region leaving behind a barren monoculture. I adore the pretty white and green ivy that I have growing in my office, though.

I think it would be fair to compare the two. Solenopsis invicta is a far worse invader than Tetramorium immigrans, and there are some invasive ants out there that have little to no impact on the environment. Take Strumigenys membranifera for example, or Gnamptogenys triangularis, or even Platythyrea punctata. None of those species are common enough to pose a real threat to the environment, and Strumigenys membranifera are to small to worry about at all. They eat springtails, and can easily be forced out by native ant species, and actually live symbiotically with some species. So yeah, it is fair to say that some exotics are worse than others.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users