• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen - Santa Cruz, CA 10/05/2019

Best Answer YsTheAnt , November 12 2019 - 10:49 PM

Either Camponotus vicinus or Camponotus maritimus. The differences are quite minimal, however the latter seems to be more elusive. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Beast - Posted October 5 2019 - 5:17 PM

Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Date of collection: September 12th, 2018
Habitat of collection: Apple Orchards
Length (from head to gaster): ~9/16th inches (~14mm)
Color, hue, pattern and texture: Primarily black, with red highlights on underside and legs. Glossy black and mostly hairless. White color is exposed when engorged. 

Nuptial flight time and date: I found this ant inside my computer room last September. I assumed that she was a queen and left her in a drawer.

She ended up laying her first eggs in early March and had her first nanitics in late April or May. She now has 10+ workers and a decent sized brood pile for her size. I took these videos about a month ago and would like to know what she is in case I have to hibernate her. 

Image from September 2018 (before brood)

https://imgur.com/ej9wfnH

Image from September 2019 (after brood)

https://imgur.com/0ZVCQpR

Videos from September 2019

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 5 2019 - 6:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
A camponotus species of some sort.
  • Martialis likes this

#3 Offline Broncos - Posted November 4 2019 - 10:02 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
Yea camponotus 100%

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 4 2019 - 3:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Looks a bit like Camponotus maritimus.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 12 2019 - 10:49 PM   Best Answer

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Either Camponotus vicinus or Camponotus maritimus. The differences are quite minimal, however the latter seems to be more elusive.
  • Beast likes this

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#6 Offline Beast - Posted November 18 2019 - 3:11 PM

Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

I think I'll mark this as solved. I'm pretty sure this colony is Camponotus vicinus. 

I have another colony where the queen is about half the size of this one, but otherwise they look almost identical. I'm guessing that colony is Camponotus martimus based on the size difference. Both are listed as local to me. 

I guess I will have to look into hibernation for these guys. Thank you for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users