• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

tapinoma melanocephalum questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Unfrozen - Posted November 5 2019 - 5:07 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

i just got tapinoma melanocephalum 2 queens 10 workers when they get bigger what's the best way to keep them from escaping and is 2 queens enough for them to nest breed?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 5 2019 - 5:23 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The best way to keep melanocephalum contained is to put their test tube in a plastic container as a second line of defense.

#3 Offline Unfrozen - Posted November 5 2019 - 6:43 PM

Unfrozen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Locationmississauga

The best way to keep melanocephalum contained is to put their test tube in a plastic container as a second line of defense.

what about when they grow

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 5 2019 - 7:54 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

what about when they grow
it should still work. I have a 150 worker colony and they're doing fine.

#5 Offline antwall - Posted November 5 2019 - 7:55 PM

antwall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I would use a tubs and tubes setup with very very fine mesh to breathe, fluon barriers, and all of it in a fluon lined tub. This is probably too much security, but I would use it for escape artists. Two queens is definitely enough to nest breed, but only when the colony grows. Adding more queens would get the colony to produce alates faster.
Argentine ants are mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users