• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Boog's Bug Builds: DIY Formicaria & Outworlds (Updated 03/31/22 Video Update at Reddit)

formicarium outworld diy

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Boog - Posted October 8 2020 - 9:51 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

I decided to make some gifs from some of my video capture and test post them here in my journal. I've been shooting footage more than thaking pics recently and got too many files to go through and edit but I need to start some where. I liked the journals sharing gifs so am attempting to create some to share.

We'll start with some glistening hairy ant butts of my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony. I've been practicing getting some macro shots with some not so decent equipment with okay macro lenses.

gallery_4140_1524_4248661.gif

Ladies moving some brood along, I think I may have turned on the heating cable here and they're adjusting the larvae around the cable just below frame.

gallery_4140_1904_2832322.gif

Here they are licking larvae and caring for the brood, always fun to observe.

gallery_4140_1904_895737.gif

They like to block their nest entrance with the carcasses of their meals and need to move them out of the way when they get new food.

gallery_4140_1904_2816253.gif

Earlier this ant season they had lots of pupae. Now before diapause I can't seem to find any pupae at all and only early instar larvae.

gallery_4140_1904_4727821.gif

Hope you enjoy the gifs, let me know how they handle on your end because I may need to adjust them for easier viewing. Now that I know how to make them I should use them more often.

I'm currently going through the piles of pics I've taken in order to edit them for a colony update and I've got plans for next year's DIY projects I'm excited to share.

Edited by Boog, October 8 2020 - 9:55 AM.

• UtahAnts likes this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 8 2020 - 12:21 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The GIFs look great to me. I’m glad more people are using these. Can’t wait to see your DIY projects.
  • Boog and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 8 2020 - 5:55 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

how do you epoxy that sand onto the cones? do you spray it on, or brush it on?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#44 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 8 2020 - 6:00 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Also how do you make your water towers? And water them especially, I’m making water towers for my new style nest currently with a sanded grout bottom and I’m gonna put a Formica colony in, how do you water yours be use I would like to use your method if it works.
We don’t talk about that

#45 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 8 2020 - 6:01 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

also, what sand do you use?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#46 Offline Boog - Posted October 10 2020 - 9:10 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

how do you epoxy that sand onto the cones? do you spray it on, or brush it on?

I have to mix the clear two-part epoxy in small batches and I use wooden steak markers from the grocery store to spread the epoxy. They're like toothpicks but have a paddle on one end with the wellness indicator (rare, well done etc.) that I use to spread the adhesive. Or you could use plastic utensils like plastic knives to spread the epoxy, which is very sticky and difficult to use with a brush so I avoid that because brush hairs will get stuck.

Also how do you make your water towers? And water them especially, I’m making water towers for my new style nest currently with a sanded grout bottom and I’m gonna put a Formica colony in, how do you water yours be use I would like to use your method if it works.

I only water one nest tower, there's a cotton bandage gauze underneath the grout nest I made that I add around 15-20 ml of distilled water every 10-12 days or so. I have a digital combo thermometer/hygrometer for each nest that has the sensor inside the containers so I can get a reading as near the nest as possible. I thought I would be watering the second tower nest but have found that my Camponotus colony doesn't need as much humidity as I first imagined. I use water feeders in the outworld and only hydrate the main nest with the queen which I maintain at 70-80% humidity, the unwatered nest stays around 60% humidity. For humid loving ants, I'd have to rethink my hydration system of my DIY nests.

also, what sand do you use?

I used white quartz sand, I think. I've picked up different sand from the craft/art store and from hardware stores so am experimenting with different types and I like white sand to contrast with my dark ants. I actually rinse/clean the sand and sift out the dust in order for the grains to properly adhere. I even soaked the sand I used in the nests with hydrogen peroxide to clean/sanitize it before rinsing and drying it out before epoxying inside the nest. I like to keep the "floors" of the grout nests unsanded/unepoxied because it should be absorbent for waste or allowing their pheromones somewhere to seep into and dissipate.

• ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this
My Youtube channel: Ants Navajo               Keeping- Camponotus pennsylvanicus, Tapinoma sessile x 2, Pheidole sp x 2

"We may be witnesses to a Biblical prophecy come true - 'And there shall be destruction and darkness come upon creation and the beasts shall reign over the earth.'" - Dr. Harold Medford

#47 Offline AntsAlberta - Posted October 10 2020 - 9:54 AM

AntsAlberta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

This is an awesome Journal! thanks for putting so much effort into this. Love all the videos and GIFs and pics! As a newbie its fantastic to see how others do stuff

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 10 2020 - 10:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
When can I start my internship with you, Boog?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#49 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 10 2020 - 10:21 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

When can I start my internship with you, Boog?

Me to!
We don’t talk about that

#50 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

this is awesome. i am literally floored after reading through this whole thing. the creativity of these designs are amazing. 

• Boog likes this

#51 Offline Boog - Posted December 19 2020 - 9:25 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Testing out hosting gifs on another site to share here, I want to save my profile FC data for pics mainly so I hope this works!

I've had fun providing more surface area for my ants to explore in their outworlds using DIY decor that I shared in an earlier post. This summer's Camponotus growth had more ants in the outworld and I felt they needed more space to play with so I think adding naturalistic looking decor looks great. The wacky aesthetic of random fake plants with dry sand/substrate works for me and it's mainly hardscape that's easy to clean.

Decor03.gif?raw=1

I captured a lot of footage this ant season and have been slowly going through them to figure out what works to share in videos and gifs. I don't have good equipment but am getting 1080p resolution, so it's decent when the lighting is good. I had to figure out the settings that worked with my lights, I'm still learning how to set my white balance and sometimes I'd get orange tinged footage because of not doing so right. Other times it was flickering lights I had to set to, dealing with lighting in general is difficult. I wish to invest in better equipment in the coming years. Let's just say that I have a lot of unusable footage because shooting ants is a learning process for me currently.

Outworld03.gif?raw=1

Here's their setup last month. I finally put Queen Liz's colony into the garage here early this month (Dec) so was a little late than the previous years that I put her away. The colony was pretty calm for a couple months, refusing protein and only had early instar larvae for brood so I knew they were prepared for diapause for awhile now. I covered their nests to encourage them to stay settled because I noticed them seeming restless otherwise. I'll need to really plan their setup well next year because their expected growth is about double or more from what I can see from their brood.

Diapause_prep01.gif?raw=1

Here's their current setup in a garage cupboard. I'm trying out a new mini-outworld I made and will share more on the build in a future post.

gallery_4140_1941_110558.jpg

I've got so much I want to share that it's looking like I'll have to do so over several posts with the amount of pics and gifs I got planned to share. This week should have more updates on my colonies and builds! (y)

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 20 2020 - 3:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Share. It. All!
  • Boog, Ants_Dakota and Devi like this

#53 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 20 2020 - 5:31 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Share. It. All!

yes! every little bit!

#54 Offline Boog - Posted December 22 2020 - 9:53 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Hello fellow formic folk! I know some of you were licking your mandibles for more updates so here we go!

Grooming02.gif?raw=1

I’ve been busy tending to my growing colonies while trying to capture footage this ant year that I’m finally going through and making gifs from what looks interesting. It’s a time consuming process but I like seeing ants in movement and the end result is that ya’ll get to see my journal come alive a bit along with a few pics thrown in the mix. Let me share some journal content like ants do trophallaxis, bit by bit!

Trophallaxis02.gif?raw=1

Most of the gifs are time-lapsed, so they’ll look sped up but I tried to keep some in real-time. I’ll be focusing on my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony and their food intake this year in this post.

Early in June, Queen Elizabeth’s colony was starting to fill out both DIY nest towers.

Full_Nest03.gif?raw=1

By the end of August, the colony was testing out the edges of the outworld and biting at the AC plugs I use to block their tubing that I knew they needed an expansion. I added one of the DIY nests I built, which I’ll share more about in the next post about colony growth.

gallery_4140_1698_259077.jpg

I’d also been testing out the hardscape decor I shared in previous posts. The extra surface area to explore seemed to keep the ants interested.

gallery_4140_1698_147115.jpg

Decor04.gif?raw=1

gallery_4140_1698_244786.jpg

Decor05.gif?raw=1

gallery_4140_1698_195444.jpg

Decor02.gif?raw=1

Time for a grooming break!

Grooming01.gif?raw=1

I cycled through the usual protein sources this year: crickets, mealworms and fruit flies with the occasional wax worms, bloodworm soup, meat/egg scraps or crane fly that unfortunately flew indoors.

I also had a false widow spider over the summer that was producing egg sacs that I was giving to my ants which worked out for awhile (this one was complicated for me because in Navajo culture spiders are important). She unfortunately lost a battle with a mealworm that knocked her dead and I decided to feed her to my colony in the end. She took down many mealworms and fruit flies in her day and laid about 7 or so egg sacs over several months, each one full of dozens of delicate eggs. The first time I handled the sacs was not easy, I popped out a few eggs in the enclosure that eventually hatched. I’ve got a male spider left behind but he doesn’t eat as much and probably will not last long while the other few either died off or were cannibalized. I got good at scooping out full spider sacs while keeping the eggs together because they’re really fragile and easily burst. They were like juicy melons to my ants, lol.

It was a different experience keeping and feeding a spider, maybe I’ll try again next year with a jumping spider or another false widow.

Spider_feeding01.gif?raw=1

So that’s all to say that a variety of protein is best for a thriving ant colony. I even tried out some hemp seeds too but they didn’t seem too interested but will try again in the future.

Most antkeepers seem to suggest boiling your feeder insects to kill any mites or parasites before feeding but I wonder how many actually practice this process. I’ve tried it a few times using a portable induction cooktop with a small stainless steel cup and the ants still seemed interested in the food so the pros here maybe outweigh the cons of doing so. The ants seem to prefer the liquid in a fresh cricket though, which can congeal when cooked. I just try to inspect my feeder insects before feeding and haven’t had any issues yet.

gallery_4140_1594_212981.jpg

I somehow didn’t document much about how I handle crickets but they’re one of the staples I feed. I get my feeder bugs from a local Petsmart and the store is well maintained. I usually get the smaller bulk crickets so I could let them grow until they molt while gut-loading them for a few days using fresh veggies, hemp seeds, bird greens (mainly alfalfa) and Fluker’s Cricket Diet along with water crystals for hydration.

Cricket_feeding01.gif?raw=1

I have a plastic Target food container with a screened lid that I use to keep them enclosed while they grow, which has cut up cardboard fast food cup holders for hiding spaces, water and food dishes and some vermiculite flooring to absorb their waste. It holds about two dozen to thirty crickets but a few do end up dying that I pick out and feed off as soon as possible. With the ventilation and substate bottom, it doesn’t smell too bad. I just use a tiny amount of food, clear it out after a day and repeat for about a week or so.

Cricket_feeding02.gif?raw=1

While they’re nice and gut loaded, I try to feed them off fresh but I freeze most of them to use down the road. I use a small airtight container with some dry cous cous to keep the crickets from freeze damage and it has worked out so far although the smaller ones can still dry out. I freeze them for about half an hour initially in their enclosure, then I quickly pick them out and place back in the freezer in their storage container with dry cous cous. I have to be fast when I pull out a cricket because I don’t want to thaw out the rest when I do so. Constant thawing and freezing ends up with bad protein.

gallery_4140_1698_7421.jpg

I’ve enjoyed observing my ants using feeders like the Ant-Shack ones above or the ones that I’ve made. I’m wondering if anybody would be interested in purchasing their own Boog feeding platforms? I’ve got some plans to make a batch of feeders that I might try to sell which I’m designing to fit with small outworlds. More updates in the future!

Trophallaxis01.gif?raw=1

I hope you’re lapping up this nourishing antkeeping content!

gallery_4140_1698_257185.jpg

Now onto mealworms, another staple feeder I pick up from the pet store. I get a batch of 50 small/medium ones that I also like to feed veggie scraps to which supplements the food substrate they come in and provides hydration. However, I don’t freeze mealworms as their growth can be slowed down with refrigeration. I pull them out once a week to warm up and feed them for a couple of hours or overnight, then put them back into the fridge. I pick off the largest mealworms first to feed to my ants and sometimes get pupae to feed off too, depending on how well they’re fed. These are very similar to superworms but I like the smaller size of mealworms. I try to inspect them and their container often with a magnifying glass to spot any bad buggers. I threw one batch out because it looked like there was possible mites so I think inspection is a good idea.

gallery_4140_1698_170871.jpg

Mealworm_feeding04.gif?raw=1

Mealworm_feeding01.gif?raw=1

Mealworm_feeding02.gif?raw=1

Mealworm_feeding03.gif?raw=1

Mealworm_feeding05.gif?raw=1

Mealworm_feeding06.gif?raw=1

You’ve got to get comfortable with chopping up live feeders in order to feed your ant colonies properly so get used to moving bug parts.

Mealworm_feeding00.gif?raw=1

Now my third staple feeder insect and quite possibly the most important one. I tried making my own fruit fly cultures this year and it went very well. I like using long slender tubes for the cultures as they worked well in keeping the populations low and made for easy handling.

FF_culture01.gif?raw=1

Still pictures do not give justice to the activity in a fruit fly culture.

gallery_4140_1942_158873.jpg

I got a little obsessive getting macro footage of my cultures, the grossness became beautiful to me. There’s just something mesmerizing in watching maggots feed that I couldn’t help getting too many extreme close up shots.

FF_culture03.gif?raw=1

FF_culture04.gif?raw=1

FF_culture05.gif?raw=1

I want to share my recipe and culturing process in a future video, so I’ll be making more fruit fly content in the future.

FF_culture06.gif?raw=1

As to why I say their important, I think that they provide more than just protein to our ants but possibly probiotics and beneficial microfauna that helps with keeping our colonies healthy in the long term. Carpenter ants have endosymbiotic microbes that need their own type of food. Fruit flies live in their own waste and the wastes of the microorganisms in the culture medium that it might provide some kind of needed nutrients for maintaining a larger ant colony through a nourished endosymbiotic system. That’s just my hypothesis on this matter and fruit flies may have no connection to this system.

FF_culture07.gif?raw=1

I was initially using glass beakers and large test tubes for my fruit fly cultures but the thought of dropping a culture and letting loose hundreds of flies with shards of glass was too overwhelming for me that I switched to plastic. Here’s how easy the slender tubes were to feed to my ants, I’d just tip and tap the tube to get the fruit flies into the outworld. I was testing out different materials for the adult flies to use as surface area.

FF_feeding00.gif?raw=1

I was using sliced up plastic straws for the adult flies to crawl over in the beginning but found this paper packing that worked perfectly. I tried using some window screen at the bottom to separate the wet medium from soaking the paper packing.

FF_culture02.gif?raw=1

After about a month of culturing, I’d have to reseed another tube then freeze the old one to kill off the culture. Then I’d have to use a skewer to clean out the plastic tube which I’d then wash and disinfect for the next batch. So I kept about 3-4 tubes going and then traded them off after a month, so i have 10 or so tubes in total to allow me to cycle through. They’re bead containers I found at the crafting/art store that works perfectly for ants because of how slim they are. Because these are the flightless variety, I don’t have any escapees feeding in this manner so it works well for me. It’s a feeding frenzy to watch ants go on the hunt and process their catch back in the nests.

FF_feeding01.gif?raw=1

FF_feeding02.gif?raw=1

FF_feeding03.gif?raw=1

FF_feeding04.gif?raw=1

The only issue with live fruit fly feeding is that they’ll leave poop on your outworld enclosures. With the amount of flies I was feeding, it’d sometimes take hours for my colony to hunt them all and that’d leave time for the flies to mingle about and crap everywhere. I just use a wet cotton ball and tongs to wipe away the built up waste when it became too much.

gallery_4140_1942_26933.jpg

Turgid ant gasters late in the season is a sure sign your colony is well fed and prepping for diapause.

gallery_4140_1524_236526.jpg

Now just a few words on liquid feeders. There should always be water in the outworld along with your liquid sugar changes. I’m a byFormica stan, their liquid feeders are the best and every antkeeper should try them out. I’ve gotten the variety packages and my Camponotus colony finally reached a population large enough for me to use the mega size for water.

Feeder_H2O.gif?raw=1

I’ve been sticking to byFormica Sunburst Ant Nectar for my ants’ sugar intake lately and it’s been fine so far. I was feeding some fruit earlier in the year but decided against it after a die off from a piece of mango. I’ll stick to hard skinned fruits like melons in the future if I do decide to feed produce again.

Nectar_Feeding01.gif?raw=1

Seeing gasters balloon up with liquid sugar is observational gold!

Nectar_Feeding02.gif?raw=1

I hope this journal content is filling you right up!

Trophallaxis03.gif?raw=1

I’ve also made this dog bowl style feeder that I use to feed random stuff or just to watch them lap up Sunburst Nectar in this manner.

gallery_4140_1698_421462.jpg

I also think that salt is a very important supplement to our ants and I add a pinch about once a month, using the bowl feeder above. The Sunburst Nectar has some in it but I like offering salt and sometimes solid sugar.

My three year old colony is doing well and I think that my feeding practices and variety is a part in making my colony a thriving one. You start to get to know a colony a little and I think you can tell when a colony is hungry. I didn’t have a hard schedule and amount of food that I followed, I just tried to observe how much they’d eat and would adjust accordingly.

Outworld01.gif?raw=1

gallery_4140_1524_232406.jpg

Outworld02.gif?raw=1

Worker_mealworm01.gif?raw=1

One of my ants was chilling out by the port where air pumps into the outworld from an aquarium pump. She was just hanging, relaxing with a cool breeze going through her antennae for a long time that I’m sure she had some micro naps in this position.

Ant_AC01.gif?raw=1

It reminded me of that old Maxwell logo from audio cassettes, haha!

gallery_4140_1763_5443.jpg

Of course all these feedings results in garbage piles in the outworld. Antkeepers should clean their enclosures often so as to not allow mites or mold to take hold. I use a keyboard vacuum on their midden piles which is weak enough to not harm the ants.

Midden_pile04.gif?raw=1

gallery_4140_1943_230058.jpg

Here’s their outworld at the end of this ant season before I put them away for diapause. I couldn’t reach this side easily and they ended up using it for garbage and as a bathroom.

Midden_pile01.gif?raw=1

I’ll be showing more cleaning of the outworld in a future post but I do spend time washing it out before storing away during diapause. But it is important to maintain some cleanliness in their outworld while it’s in use.

The next post will focus on the colony’s growth and the nest expansion I added. After that one I want to focus on future Boog’s Bug Builds prototypes I’m testing out.

So that’s it for now, I hope this journal update was a good grooming!

SisterLove01.gif?raw=1

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and 3 others like this

#55 Offline Devi - Posted December 22 2020 - 9:58 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

My day just got a lot better.  

• TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#56 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 22 2020 - 10:40 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

great journal! thanks for all the info! the gifs look great!

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 22 2020 - 10:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Same here!
Questions on the Milliput you use: does it self adhere to glass, or do you shape it and glue the shelves on with another adhesive?
Does the cured milliput hold water?

#58 Offline Boog - Posted December 23 2020 - 10:02 AM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Questions on the Milliput you use: does it self adhere to glass, or do you shape it and glue the shelves on with another adhesive?
Does the cured milliput hold water?

I sculpt the shelves first using a plastic lid from a Target food container. I found this perfect for my needs and the cured Milliput pops right off. I carefully mold and shape the Milliput to have surface area for feeders and the adhesive.This plastic lid was the perfect size and shape for what I intended, even allowing for 90 degree corners too.

gallery_4140_1698_87104.jpg

I use a wooden sculpting tool to add texture to the bottom of the platforms and use my feeders to make sure they fit before allowing the epoxy to cure. After about four hours I pop them off the plastic by slightly twisting the lid.

gallery_4140_1698_63350.jpg

Sometimes I didn't press all the Milliput down enough that I'd get pockets in the form that'd leave impressions like above. Otherwise, the area where the feeders are left smooth as is because the plastic's surface leaves the finish I want. I sand the edges and drill some small holes to allow some glue adhesion. I've used white construction adhesive from Gorilla Glue and Flex Glue and carefully held the piece in place while initially gluing. Some came out not so level but they work, just need to eyeball it correctly. Milliput is some great sculpting material but can get very sticky. I'd wear gloves while using water spray to keep my tools clean and removed any uncured epoxy ASAP or else it'd hardened in place and scuff up the plastic lid. I already ruined one lid by doing that so try to clean up my tools and work area immediately.

The cured Millput is water repellent and doesn't absorb any moisture. I'm using it as a hydration base in my current prototypes to contain water and it seems to work well for my needs.

I think the shelves in the outworld design is a good use of space for our ants to explore and allows for capturing some cool imagery of them feeding.

• to_be_announced likes this

#59 Offline Boog - Posted May 30 2021 - 2:45 PM

Boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Hello fellow formifolk!

Quick update here, I've been busy with non-antkeeping circumstances that have put my DIY builds on pause and I haven't had time to document my colonies as much this year.

Queen Liz's colony is thriving this year, I've got 400+ workers I'd guess and am facing a doubling in population this year. Staying away from the heat cable so far this year, I'll see how that goes.

gallery_4140_1524_246946.jpg

gallery_4140_1524_286717.jpg

I added a new shelf to the back wall of my outworld and moved the whole outworld to the left of the main nest this year.

gallery_4140_1524_319528.jpg

gallery_4140_1524_64870.jpg

gallery_4140_1524_80693.jpg

gallery_4140_1524_187188.jpg

I hope to update more once I download and edit more photos that I've taken of my Pheidole colonies.

Edited by Boog, May 30 2021 - 2:46 PM.

• ZTYguy and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#60 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 30 2021 - 3:52 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Nice!

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, outworld, diy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users