• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crematogastor Q&A/ Sharing Thread

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted October 1 2019 - 10:12 AM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I would like to make this thread for all things Crematogastor - questions, answers, thoughts, ideas, and general fun loving discourse.
  • ANTdrew likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2019 - 10:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Nice!

Something I've noticed recently is that my Cremas are drinking a crap ton of water recently. I wonder if this is some kind of preparation for diapause?

Plus, I traded two of my 2019 queens for a Formica queen.

• TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2019 - 11:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
I've noticed that Crematogaster minutissima queens don't care if hibernation is next month.... My queen has almost a dozen eggs... :facepalm:

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2019 - 12:00 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've noticed that Crematogaster minutissima queens don't care if hibernation is next month.... My queen has almost a dozen eggs... :facepalm:

Wow! How’re you going to contain them?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2019 - 12:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Wow! How’re you going to contain them?

I honestly have no clue. My large lineolata colony has over 400 workers now, and no signs of stopping this year. The queen is constantly laying new eggs. They now have over 800 brood, mostly eggs and pupae, with some small larvae hatching from the previous batch of eggs (laid on the 29th).
  • ANTdrew likes this

#6 Offline Canadant - Posted October 1 2019 - 2:32 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Update: slightly sad.

My boosted colony escaped. They passed the ptfe barrier and made a run for it. All the brood is gone and when I got up the next morning they were just pushing the queen over the lip of my outworld. I think the moved into a crack by my door. I picked up as much as I could and placed them back. There were casualties in the panick.

So, some workers (50) and 1 queen. No brood.

How did this happen? Me being new to crematogastor care. I like to place heavy duty wrapping tape around the top of my outworld. I can adjust the overhang to my liking and the exactoknife of the rest. It looks neat and there are no unsightly drips of barrierctrailung down the side of my outworld. I place ptfe or olive oil underside the tape. Looks clean and worked great for my camponotus. Well the crematogastor got passed it. I have since put a 1 inch barrier around the rim of ptfe. Took tape off. That has stopped them completely. But too little too late.

I wonder if the have less affiliation to this queen? They tend to her though.
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2019 - 2:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here’s a question for CrematoMasters: what kind of wood should I search out for a natural nest for C. cerasi? I’m hoping to find a cool looking piece of driftwood that’s soft enough for them to tunnel in.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2019 - 2:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update: slightly sad.

My boosted colony escaped. They passed the ptfe barrier and made a run for it. All the brood is gone and when I got up the next morning they were just pushing the queen over the lip of my outworld. I think the moved into a crack by my door. I picked up as much as I could and placed them back. There were casualties in the panick.

So, some workers (50) and 1 queen. No brood.

How did this happen? Me being new to crematogastor care. I like to place heavy duty wrapping tape around the top of my outworld. I can adjust the overhang to my liking and the exactoknife of the rest. It looks neat and there are no unsightly drips of barrierctrailung down the side of my outworld. I place ptfe or olive oil underside the tape. Looks clean and worked great for my camponotus. Well the crematogastor got passed it. I have since put a 1 inch barrier around the rim of ptfe. Took tape off. That has stopped them completely. But too little too late.

I wonder if the have less affiliation to this queen? They tend to her though.

Damn that’s awful. Nothing contains Crematogaster forever, I’ve learned. They always find a way out eventually. I would suspect that humidity rendered the PTFE ineffective. It takes very little to make it passable for them.

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:34 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Here’s a question for CrematoMasters: what kind of wood should I search out for a natural nest for C. cerasi? I’m hoping to find a cool looking piece of driftwood that’s soft enough for them to tunnel in.

Oak. Or white pine.

#10 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:36 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Any rating of Crematogaster for keeping? Thinking of trying to diversify next year

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:37 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
10/10

#12 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:39 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

nice, looking for something a little quicker growing than Camponotus.

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#13 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:40 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

like formica subaenescens (North American counterpart of Formica Fusca)

#14 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:45 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I have Creamogaster Cerasi in my state

Just need to talk to Ant_Dude next year lol

#15 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:48 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I also have access to Crematogaster Lineolata

#16 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:49 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Next year is going to be interesting, because I may find heart butt ants

#17 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:49 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Trust me Formica usually don't grow faster than Camponotus lol
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#18 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 1 2019 - 3:53 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yeah, I read once Camponotus. gets past the founding stage, they grow as fast or faster than formica

#19 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 1 2019 - 5:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Definitely try Crematogaster. They’re really fun- until they start escaping.

#20 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2019 - 5:58 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Even then they're fun! It puts your skillz to the test, and helps you learn better escape proofing.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users